Options

Need to re-home my dog :(

CaptnSpauldingCaptnSpaulding Posts: 5,370
Forum Member
I have a lovely family/pet dog which unfortunately as the title says, must be re homed pretty soon.
Me, my partner and son have just had to move back in with my parents because of the current financial situation where we could no longer afford our rented property and fell in to some debt, therefore have no idea how long we will be here for. Main problem is, my parents won't allow the dog in the house so she has to live in the outshed/utility room where, because she is used to being constantly around people and being in the same room, I don't think it's fair on her to suddenly have no attention or much of our time.

I've had her advertised on many web sites now and had a couple of people come to see her but weren't suited, but is proving to be very difficult to re-home her, mostly because I think were so far from main populated areas being in the country in N.Wales (had many people calling from London, Cardiff, Blackpool, Kent etc,)

I was wondering if anyone here have any advice on what to do next, ie. would dog rescue centres/RSPCA be able to take her off me? Or at least any centres that help to re-home?

It's going to be difficult whatever as I want a good home for her and won't just give her to anyone. :(

Comments

• Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry you are having to re-home your dog. Please get a resputable rescue to back you up. It is so easy for a dog to get in the wrong hands nowadays. Many rescues use foster homes, so your dog may not have to go into kennels.

Please have a look through this site. There are many rescues on there, that would only be too happy to give you some advice and/or help.

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?act=idx

Good luck.
  • Options
    sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    Please don't get rid of her. It's amazing how quickly dogs adapt to having just a little bit of human interaction. As long as she's fed and watered and has a warm place to sleep, she'll be fine. You'll regret it if you do let her go :(

If you absolutely must, contact the dog's trust - I believe they have a centre in north wales. They never put a healthy dog down. http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/
  • Options
    maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people at DogsBlog have an advice service for people thinking of rehoming their dogs.

I don't know what kind of advice is offered, but it might be worth a try. They also have a comprehensive list of shelters.

:(
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't give up on your dog! It'll break her heart if she's taken away from you. She'll think you don't love her any more, and that she's done something wrong.
    Can't you reach a compromise with your parents? Why don't they want her in the house? She's a part of your family.
  • Options
    mrsmetropolismrsmetropolis Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, I really hope an alternative arrangement can be made rather than rehoming her particularly at this time of year. After Christmas/New Year the rescue centres are packed to the rafters with unwanted animals, often pedigrees.
    Can your parents not give her a chance seeing as she is also a family member? I understand they are helping you out by having you stay with them but expecting you to rehome your family pet is very harsh!
    Failing that I would not give her away free as she could taken on a whim as she is a freebie. Also, if she is an unspayed pedigree she could get into the wrong hands of a back street breeder. I'm sorry if I sound negative but I have seen a lot of this and feel you have to really check out any potential new owners, even down to a home check!
    You could put her on the rehoming section on giveusahome stating her details. But again I really hope you can avoid rehoming her as she obviously means a lot to you.

http://www.giveusahome.com/discus/messages/6/6.html?1230988829
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a lovely family/pet dog which unfortunately as the title says, must be re homed pretty soon.
    Me, my partner and son have just had to move back in with my parents because of the current financial situation where we could no longer afford our rented property and fell in to some debt, therefore have no idea how long we will be here for. Main problem is, my parents won't allow the dog in the house so she has to live in the outshed/utility room where, because she is used to being constantly around people and being in the same room, I don't think it's fair on her to suddenly have no attention or much of our time.

I've had her advertised on many web sites now and had a couple of people come to see her but weren't suited, but is proving to be very difficult to re-home her, mostly because I think were so far from main populated areas being in the country in N.Wales (had many people calling from London, Cardiff, Blackpool, Kent etc,)

I was wondering if anyone here have any advice on what to do next, ie. would dog rescue centres/RSPCA be able to take her off me? Or at least any centres that help to re-home?

It's going to be difficult whatever as I want a good home for her and won't just give her to anyone. :(

Is there no one you can lodge her with if your parents wont help?

What type of dog is she?

If you could lodge her with a friend or member of family until your circumstances change?

Dogs adapt very quickly. What if you asked your parents if you could have her in the house in a dog crate if they are worried about it chewing or messing the place up.

Sorry I cant really help, i would sleep in the out shed to be honest with my poochies before I gave them away to strangers.

Dogs trust is the only people I would deal with.

Sorry for you, but even more sorrier for poochie.

This credit crunch is having an awful toll on pets.

Now is not the time to get rid of her as the kennels are full to the rafters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    If the people coming to see your dog seem like loving animal owners then why not give them a chance? If them living in the city is all that is holding you back then I really think you should re consider for the animals sake.... Surely if they are going to walk the dog, care for him etc then it is far better that being shut in a shed and given little or no attention when he is used to lots....:(

If you are in a bad situation right now, that is unlikely to get any better in the near future and your parents are unwilling to budge on the situation then it may come to the case where your dog has to be put into a rescue centre where at this time of year they are jammed packed...

I do feel empathy for your situation right now, you are obviously in an awkwad situation, but please dont write off each person who sees the dog so quickly, he may be far happier with them than living in a shed in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Try contacting some local dog charities, (smaller charities) that work with foster homes. They could either take your dog and put it in a foster home, although i imagine they'd be more willing to help and the bases that you look after the dog, whilst they try to help you find it a home. The RSPCA do not tend to take animals unless it's an emergency, but they do tend to be able to give you some contacts of local charities.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the people coming to see your dog seem like loving animal owners then why not give them a chance? If them living in the city is all that is holding you back then I really think you should re consider for the animals sake....

I don't think that is what the OP was getting at. I think they meant that because they were so remote, many people who had enquired weren't able to get to them and those who had weren't suitable for whatever reasons, not because of where they lived.

OP, please correct me if I am wrong in this assumption.

It has to be said that some dogs brought up in the country are spooked by city noise and some dogs brought up in the city are spooked by too many trees, long expanses of grass, etc, but these cases are rare.

OP, I can't understand your parents' attitude, sorry. It's not as if you have moved in with them through choice. Have you not been through enough already recently? My parents would not see me heartbroken by having to give up my pet for their sake.
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member

What a horrible situation to be in:( I suppose you are grateful to have a roof over your head let alone the dog. Really some people on here, expecting the parents to bend the rules in their own home? If it was me, I would, but not everybody likes animals.
    Are they happy to let the dog stay in the garden? I mean it's only until you are sorted I expect? There are some lovely kennels and small sheds that you could get and make all comfy and cosy for the dog. I know the RSPCA don't like dogs living outdoors, but it is where dogs were meant to be years back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Poor OP - this would break my heart (been through similar recently)

try talking to your parents and agreeing letting pup in a couple of times a day to play (kept to one room or similar)

If you need to rehome the dog and honestly think this is the right thing to do - contact the shelters and see how they can help - also try speaking to your vets they sometimes put notices up etc.

good luck - if i could take him i would!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your replies.

We contacted the RSPCA and was told there is a few months waiting list for dogs to be taken in, but they have got a scheme where they will help rehome/advertise her for us if people come to them and ask for a dog which fits ours' description.

We've been living here for 4-5 months now and at first it wasn't too bad, but I've recently been working longer hours so not been able to take the dog out for walks, and my partner is 6 months pregnant so can't take her - she's a big muscly dog being a Rotty X Staff X Husky and tends to pull on a lead and hard to control (fault of previous owners who never walked her).
    I don't like the fact that she lives out in the shed where it's freezing (over winter she's allowed in the kitchen over night) and see's no one really where before she used to be between my legs watching TV with me or lying on the floor while my son was on top of her playing.
    I'd much prefer her to carry on a nice family pet life than be treated more like a working dog.

When I said people were interested but too far, I did mean like someone said that we were too far for them to collect. People don't want to travel far for a pet it seems.
    Regarding the couple who came to see her - first family brought along their Staff Terrier who 'apparently' was good with other dogs, but as soon as she saw ours, the little thing started frothing in the mouth and was lunging for her. We obviously said no way!
    Second couple loved her and were going to take her until they realized how hard she pulls on the lead, and where the man would be working and expected his wife to take her out, saw she'd no way handle her.

I feel worse now that people are telling me to keep her no matter what lol. If I could I really would. But I believe she has no life now - compared to what she's used to and don't want to take that from her. Like I said, she's a pet not just a working dog that lives in the back sleeping all day, depressed. :(

Here is a picture of her in case anyone was wondering what a Rotty X Staff X Husky looks like lol -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33068622@N07/3171173323/in/set-72157612158453593/
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a gorgeous dog :)

Can't add anything to the advice already given, but I wish you all the best. Can't be an easy decision to rehome & I can tell you are doing it for your love of your dog.

Have you seen the thread about adopting a rescue dog? Perhaps pm the OP of that thread - she is after a child friendly dog :)
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We contacted the RSPCA and was told there is a few months waiting list for dogs to be taken in, but they have got a scheme where they will help rehome/advertise her for us if people come to them and ask for a dog which fits ours' description.

We've been living here for 4-5 months now and at first it wasn't too bad, but I've recently been working longer hours so not been able to take the dog out for walks, and my partner is 6 months pregnant so can't take her - she's a big muscly dog being a Rotty X Staff X Husky and tends to pull on a lead and hard to control (fault of previous owners who never walked her).
    I don't like the fact that she lives out in the shed where it's freezing (over winter she's allowed in the kitchen over night) and see's no one really where before she used to be between my legs watching TV with me or lying on the floor while my son was on top of her playing.
    I'd much prefer her to carry on a nice family pet life than be treated more like a working dog.

When I said people were interested but too far, I did mean like someone said that we were too far for them to collect. People don't want to travel far for a pet it seems.
    Regarding the couple who came to see her - first family brought along their Staff Terrier who 'apparently' was good with other dogs, but as soon as she saw ours, the little thing started frothing in the mouth and was lunging for her. We obviously said no way!
    Second couple loved her and were going to take her until they realized how hard she pulls on the lead, and where the man would be working and expected his wife to take her out, saw she'd no way handle her.

I feel worse now that people are telling me to keep her no matter what lol. If I could I really would. But I believe she has no life now - compared to what she's used to and don't want to take that from her. Like I said, she's a pet not just a working dog that lives in the back sleeping all day, depressed. :(

Here is a picture of her in case anyone was wondering what a Rotty X Staff X Husky looks like lol -

You don't seem to be able to recieve pm's so can you pm me I have an idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I can't add any more to what has been said; sorry that you are having to rehome your dog :( She's a gorgeous dog :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    You don't seem to be able to recieve pm's so can you pm me I have an idea.

Hi there, sorry about that. Had a few people constantly PMing me so turned it off :o
  • Options
    QuicheofDeathQuicheofDeath Posts: 2,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would fostering her out for a while be an option for you?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful dog, shame you have to give her up.

The rescue centre, Many Tears, in Wales is really good. They really care for the dogs, and some are fostered. They always make sure the get perfect homes :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would fostering her out for a while be an option for you?

It would certainly be an option, but with the prices of these 'pet-sitters', it wouldn't really help our situation of why we've actually moved.

I was hoping a friend or relative would be able to look after her for a few months where we obviously just buy the supplies as normal but nobody is able to help out unfortunately.
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    It would certainly be an option, but with the prices of these 'pet-sitters', it wouldn't really help our situation of why we've actually moved.

I was hoping a friend or relative would be able to look after her for a few months where we obviously just buy the supplies as normal but nobody is able to help out unfortunately.

So it sounds that you have made your mind up on rehoming her?
    Well you do have to be 100% about this as hard as it is. You seem to have the dogs heart at interest.
    Have you put an advert on
    http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.listadverts/sec-Home+and+Family/cat-Pets+and+Livestock/subcat-Dogs/fd71d669.html
    That is quite a good website.
    Your dog is gorgeous and being an ideal family pet should be easy to find a home. Just a pretty bad time of year.
    The pulling on the lead, well there are ways around that, with some further training or try a halty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whereabouts in wales are you my niece has 3 rottys and 1 rotty/bull mastiff she maybe interested
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could try contacting the manytearsrescue in Wales. They could maybe arrange fostering til you and your family are back in a place of your own.
  • Options
    sheddy99sheddy99 Posts: 5,760
    Forum Member
    pulling on the lead can easily be resolved with training.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a gorgeous girl. She looks like a Rhodesian Ridgeback with no ridge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Hiya, Im so sorry to hear you have to give up your gorgeous dog. The most important thing is that you are looking out for the interests of your dog, not yourself. if your 100% sure you want to rehome your dog then all you can do is be sure you either take it to a decent rescue home or find good owners for the dog.

I hope your situation gets better so you can keep your dog :)