Sam Strike Leaving Reasons Interview

soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/interviews/a620667/sam-strike-reveals-all-on-eastenders-exit-film-role-and-future-plans.html#~p10R6eQRZcVF8H

from the horses mouth :D

Interesting re how he got his film role, for those not in the know the producer is a close friend of the one and only Mr Dyer :D

Comments

• Marcus_SmithMarcus_Smith Posts: 3,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some interesting stuff here about Johnnys exit http://t.co/pis8qrsDrk
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems the lack of storylines was the clincher, shame but good luck to him.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's good to hear some truths about this rather than having lots of rumours flying about. Good luck to Sam :)
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Seems the lack of storylines was the clincher, shame but good luck to him.

yeah, I think it was always when not if but the lack of stories did it.

I wish him well cos he comes across as a nice lad and at that age we all have ambitions and he seems to have the drive to do it
  • soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    It's good to hear some truths about this rather than having lots of rumours flying about. Good luck to Sam :)

that it is 😄
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Refreshingly honest and all completely valid points. It did always seem that when creating the family they went "I want this big geezer bloke to have to react to having a gay son" and so they created that son, had that reaction then were like 'oh...we kind of just have this son now'
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't blame him for leaving one bit. Having to come in and play a rotten yellow-bellied coward every single day ever must be a tough gig.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad he quit.. He would have never dated Ben Mitchell
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely agree with everything he said. There was never going to be enough time for all the Carters to get fleshed out because there are/were too many of them. Initially it should have just been Mick, Linda, Nancy and Johnny and we should have been allowed to get to know them naturally. Nope. In comes the unnececessary addition of Tina and Shirley to the equation along with Lee, Stan (great character regardless), Aunt Babe, Tosh, Buster, Dean and now Sylvie. Any one of the the many storylines that have been thrown at this family since they arrived could have sustained them for months on end but instead everything but the kitchen sink was directed at them and inevitably some of the characters were going to be lost in the shuffle.

I think it's a shame because Johnny instantly clicked as a relatable and likeable character but once he came out there really wasn't anything left for him to do as the writers were busy moving onto the next explosive Carter secret or introduction of a new member. Even now Nancy and Lee are spare parts standing around doing little of interest so Sam made the right decision to bow out. In a way it was the right time for the character to go. I think he outgrew the childishness and secrets of the Carters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, the Carters hadn't even finished unpacking and he was being as a prop to show Mick Carter was a nice guy.. Peaked too early
  • ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He came across really well in that interview, he seems like a nice guy.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thing I liked about this interview is when he said he wants to play different characters. That's what people get into acting for. I've never understood why people on this forum look down their noses at actors who leave to look for other roles (Patsy Palmer leaving every 6 months notwithstanding). That's what actors thrive on. I'm not referring to Steve McFadden or Adam Woodyatt who have been handed big storyline after big storyline for practically the entire time they've been on the show but I really don't get the reverence for actors like Jamie Borthwick and Perry Fenwick who stand around doing jack squat in the background for a couple of scenes every few weeks. That's not loyality. It's laziness. Get out there and try your hand at something more challenging than ordering a pint in The Vic. Good on Strike for not sticking around for a pay cheque.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    I'm glad he quit.. He would have never dated Ben Mitchell

I didn't like that idea either
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    All the best for him! :) I really don't see him coming back sadly any time soon
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thing I liked about this interview is when he said he wants to play different characters. That's what people get into acting for. I've never understood why people on this forum look down their noses at actors who leave to look for other roles (Patsy Palmer leaving every 6 months notwithstanding). That's what actors thrive on. I'm not referring to Steve McFadden or Adam Woodyatt who have been handed big storyline after big storyline for practically the entire time they've been on the show but I really don't get the reverence for actors like Jamie Borthwick and Perry Fenwick who stand around doing jack squat in the background for a couple of scenes every few weeks. That's not loyality. It's laziness. Get out there and try your hand at something more challenging than ordering a pint in The Vic. Good on Strike for not sticking around for a pay cheque.

I think actors are all different though, I wouldn't call the likes of Perry or Jamie lazy at all, some are happy playing the same character and don't have the desire to crack Hollywood or take on different characters. At the end of the day some actors are no different to your average Joe working in a call centre or in a shop, they want stability and a regular pay check but with acting there is always constant pressure to do more
    , and lets face it Eastenders has suffered badly these last few years with actors wanting to leave so having actors that are happy for a long term commitment is a godsend.
  • Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame he went, he made Johnny, who could have been a bit of a wet-fish, a really likeable character
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's coming out story was rushed.. The Carters hadn't even finished unpacking
  • Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    He's coming out story was rushed.. The Carters hadn't even finished unpacking

I found the whole 'Linda can't accept him' thing ridiculous. Everyone played their part really well but it's a bit old hat that whole thing. Especially as we subsequently learned he'd curl up on the sofa with his mum and watch musicals. Someone like that REALLY needed moths to be comfortable with her son being gay? Really!?!

It was acted really well but about 10 years out of date.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the Johnny didn't feel revelent part. Most the cast weren't unless they were mick, Linda or Dean tbh.shAme he went so much potential and with Ben he would of become more revelebant.
  • londongirlGrelondongirlGre Posts: 23,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I think actors are all different though, I wouldn't call the likes of Perry or Jamie lazy at all, some are happy playing the same character and don't have the desire to crack Hollywood or take on different characters. At the end of the day some actors are no different to your average Joe working in a call centre or in a shop, they want stability and a regular pay check but with acting there is always constant pressure to do more
    , and lets face it Eastenders has suffered badly these last few years with actors wanting to leave so having actors that are happy for a long term commitment is a godsend.

Completely agree. Also, Jamie is young enough that, he might decide in the future, to try new roles.
  • Colonel_JasperColonel_Jasper Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said. Absolutely agreed!!!❤️👏😉
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad he addressed that ridiculous Hollywood rumour, which every actor who leaves EE seems to be attacked with these days. I'm pleased he's got a movie role, although it's a shame he couldn't have got a big storyline in before he left.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally, I think it's a bit of a pity that the actors with more potential, like Jamie Borthwick, aren't given more to do or don't try to spread their wings a bit more whilst they can. As for the Perrys of soapland well... who'd have them, let's be honest?

I agree with you about some actors preferring the stability, especially as TV/film is such a cut-throat industry and some people just simply aren't the ambitious type.
  • DCM10DCM10 Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    I don't blame him for leaving one bit. Having to come in and play a rotten yellow-bellied coward every single day ever must be a tough gig.

Not again! Don't you get bored repeating the same thing over and over?
  • DCM10DCM10 Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bingo_ wrote: »
    I found the whole 'Linda can't accept him' thing ridiculous. Everyone played their part really well but it's a bit old hat that whole thing. Especially as we subsequently learned he'd curl up on the sofa with his mum and watch musicals. Someone like that REALLY needed moths to be comfortable with her son being gay? Really!?!

It was acted really well but about 10 years out of date.

It's not 10 years out of date. Sure things have got better over the years but the reluctance to accept a son being gay is still there for many.