Xbmc on tv best way?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tobias. wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AXYAXU0/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

With the Revo out of the question, I am leaning towards this? But the specs seem exactly the same as the Revo l80 unless I'm missing something obvious... Thus I presume Ubuntu etc would be out the the question here too? Would I be able to use a USB bluray drive to backup films with it?

It looks like some people have got Ubuntu running on it, except for the Wifi (looks like drivers will be included with the 3.10 kernel in a few months).

From this thread it looks like it'll do what you want, even with the added bloat that is Windows. From that thread it also looks like OpenELEC will run on it too if you want a light-weight, boot straight into XBMC experience (no Wifi, so you'll need ethernet).

I expect you'll be able to rip/transcode Blu-Ray's using a USB drive, but it'll be slow. You really should be doing that on a more powerful desktop and then transferring the resulting file to the media centre or a NAS.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Hi call100,

Digital Spy does not allow links to Novatech for some reason.

TW

Strange...Just go to the Novatech (.co.uk) website and look at the Pockit NP/01......
    Probably not what you want after all this....:o
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're going to go for the Q190 and want to run OpenELEC instead of Windows, eBuyer has the FreeDOS version up for pre-order for £199.98 at the moment.
  • Options
    withnailukwithnailuk Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tobias. wrote: »
    As the title suggests I want xbmc to work with my hd tv but not sure about the best way to do this.

I want xbmc as it has a great UI and plenty of plugin channels etc.

I have come across the raspberry pi however, it appears that to stream HD it needs extra bits bringing the cost up somewhat including the purchase of codecs that are free elsewhere?

Ideally I want something I can just plug in the back of the tv into hdmi or USB and I'm off so to speak. The wdtv live box seems good as it has direct storage, but it doesn't have the extra channel plugins for streaming.

Any of you out there with any ideas, suggestion etc?

Much appreciated.

I went for this tobais for xbmc on my hdtv . http://www.ebuyer.com/407538-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-1076 Cheaper then the revo and easy to upgrade and it's small enougth to fit behind my t.v. Will run everything fine. Only drawback is the psu fan is a tad loud.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    If you're going to go for the Q190 and want to run OpenELEC instead of Windows, eBuyer has the FreeDOS version up for pre-order for £199.98 at the moment.

That's the one I'm eying up lol as its got a larger hdd and no windows whic we all know is a good thing lol. Only thing is, will it defo do openELEC or not? Hearing conflicting things. Also would it install on hdd or USB only?

With regards to the zoostorm, withnailuk, I did consider that as the CPU seems better, but the Lenovo has spdif for digital audio out and hdmi also inbuilt wifi and 2 USB 3.0 connections, doesn't have a DVD drive but that can be done USB wise if needed.