The 'lost my bus/train fare' scam

2»

Comments

• Drinking_GeckoDrinking_Gecko Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are two particularly scummy types that hang around Doncaster station almost every day of the week, always asking for an odd amount of money for their ticket home. The staff seemingly just ignore them as do the BTP. Always smell like stale alcohol, smoke and pi$$.

Not scammers, just scumbags that would be better off locked up.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one I've come across is someone wandering round with a petrol can claiming they have run out and just need a couple of quid to get enough petrol to get them home.

Obvioulsy this was a few years back when petrol was "only" 85p a litre :D
  • djpakredjpakre Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    missy83 wrote: »
    There is a well-known bloke in Swindon who does it. I've never been stopped but my mum has a few times. He even earnt the nickname ''crying boy'' and was up in court a couple of times for it.

I remember him! I've moved away from Swindon, but yes, he's quite notorious around those parts. I believe my sister even knew him, as she was a part of the "hang around town asking for money" crew.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technically I scam them back when I lie about having no money on me, so it all evens out :)
  • gothergother Posts: 14,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a guy in Wolves hangs around outside the train station his fairy tale is "i've just got out of prison you klnow some people are racist. Just because i'm Asian they walk past me. You look like a sound person can you help me out as i need to get the train back home and i have no train fair.2
    He's approached me about 7 times in the space of a month lol. First time i bought his bs and gave him 3 quid towards train fair. Now as soon as he approaches me i say 2sorry got no cash" he never learns lol.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last year I was approached by a well dressed lady on Broad Street in Birmingham in the middle of the day. She said she had lost her purse and needed to get home to Dudley. I was taken in for a moment but when I offered her the exact bus fare (£1.70 I think) and she said that was not enough, I twigged and walked away.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it funny when they take offense when you tell them you have no money on you and they know you are lying? :)

How dare we lie to them. :rolleyes:
  • MicrobialMicrobial Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I think the best way to deal with this kind of situation is if you really want to help someone then offer to go with them to the train/bus station and buy the ticket for them. Should sort the wheat from the chaff.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once had a girl offer me a blowie for bus fare home. I politely declined, but then thought (Just how expensive is the bloody bus fare?"
    If you were at Victoria coach station and she needed to get home to Inverness you would have been cheaper going to a **** for the blowie. :D
  • temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    There's a guy in Wolves hangs around outside the train station his fairy tale is "i've just got out of prison you klnow some people are racist. Just because i'm Asian they walk past me. You look like a sound person can you help me out as i need to get the train back home and i have no train fair.2
    He's approached me about 7 times in the space of a month lol. First time i bought his bs and gave him 3 quid towards train fair. Now as soon as he approaches me i say 2sorry got no cash" he never learns lol.

How freaky....

I know that exact guy and same thing happened to me a few friday evenings ago....
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they are allways at birkenhead bus station its verry intimidating when they have a skin head and a dressed in trackies i useually juist end up giving them like 50p and say its all ive got, i know its probably going on booze though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    The best reply is "so have I, what a co-incidence" ;)

Then wait for the possible response:-

"You're a f****** liar"

and the retort:-

"So are you" !!!

When I worked in London, almost 100% of the beggars who asked me for money had Scottish or Irish accents.
    offended!
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    they are allways at birkenhead bus station its verry intimidating when they have a skin head and a dressed in trackies i useually juist end up giving them like 50p and say its all ive got, i know its probably going on booze though.

I go through Birkenhesd Bus Station quite often[although not every day]& never been approached by anyone dressed in Trackies asking for money.
  • BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    With the way fairs have gone up in London she would still owe you money after the blowie:D

I dread to think where you'd swipe your oyster card :eek:
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Christ! Do people really fall for this?!?!?!?!?!

I get it quite often, and I don't even live in a city!

It's just so blatantly bullsh*t !!
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    Theres a bloke round these parts he claims hes run out of petrol and carrys a petrol can for authenticity.

Ive seen him "run out of petrol" on 3 different dates.
    Forum Member
    I've heard of dipsh*t teenage girls who've been upset because they for the "can I borrow your phone"

Where they ask to borrow someones phone, and then do a runner,

How can people be that stupid!!
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    In Liverpool City Centre, the shopping area called "St John's Precinct", there's a food area where you can eat lunch bought in that area (which has places such as KFC, McDonalds, Subway and others).

During my level 2 college course last year there was always this guy who'd come on a Tuesday asking for a pound for some chips and he says something along the lines of "we're both Scouse" as if that makes a difference.

On my level 3 course now I still see him sometimes but not as much. I just say "Sorry, I don't have any spare change" and he tends to give a pat on the back or arm and moves on to the next victim.

Also if someone gives him a pound he just goes on to the next victim, even though the previous person is likely watching and the next victim probably seen him just get a pound.

And there's this other scam I've noticed recently. One guy a couple weeks ago asked me for 30-35p for a phone, and today a lady (with tattoos) also asked me for something in the range of 30p. I gave the same "no change" excuse.

These type of people annoy me, not because they're trying to scam me but because they're making it hard to separate them from the genuine people who really do need help.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go through Birkenhesd Bus Station quite often[although not every day]& never been approached by anyone dressed in Trackies asking for money.

they are usually between the superloo and argos. i think i might just atract these people though happened by manchester coach station the other month when some woman asked for money for some food.
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »

These type of people annoy me, not because they're trying to scam me but because they're making it hard to separate them from the genuine people who really do need help.

But, If you really needed some change for whatever reason (even an emergency) would you really ask a total stranger??
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a spate for a short time of "My van has broken down and I have my family in it, can you give me X so I can phone someone. "

Problem is it was EXACTLY the same story every time.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    But, If you really needed some change for whatever reason (even an emergency) would you really ask a total stranger??

I don't know, I've never tried, but I don't see why not. Instead of sitting down with a cup hoping people would drop a few 2p coins in, just go up to people and ask and someone's bound to help.

If you're asking this as a question of pride, then probably not. But then again I've not been in that situation so I can't say for sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There used to be a woman who stood outside a multiple-storey car park and used to ask people for money to get her car out as she lost the ticket. She was well dressed and had bags from high end stores. The problem was that the MCP was our company one and not only was it not open to the public, it was free for staff! There were no tickets; you were issued a sticker and swiped your work ID to enter and exit.
  • Dangerous.DaveDangerous.Dave Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »

When I was a student I was caught out once when the stagecoaches put up their fares and I was 10p short!

I wandered around the bus station looking for money and found 8p in coppers!

Having little choice, I singled out the kindliest person I could see and approached a trainspotter type with buck teeth and NHS specs (in fact I think he was a busspotter). He took a coinholder from his pocked and gave me the 2p! Bless him!

But yes, the "scam" is very much alive and well. It truly pisses me off - I just say "sorry I don't have any money" and keep walking. Which is a shame because it can genuinely happen.