"There's more to politics than photo opportunities" - Ed Milliband

Comments

• LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we are discussing his speech today - He is right. This is important and hopefully will play an important part in the lead up to the Election.
    But if we are only discussing the the thread title (why?).....there is not much to discuss. Both Cameron and Miliband will have hundreds of public appeances which will be photographed. Clearly these are not of great importance - hence the quote.

As I have said many times - some members of this forum are going to have to work out how they will cope with their emotional trauma when we have a poltician who is very different in appearance and behaviour as opposed to slightly different (Miliband).
    Yes - At some point soon I believe a Politician will emerge with a significant disability. Perhaps cerebral palsy. Most people will cope with this development easily. But the forum members who cannot cope with the shape of Ed Miliband's eyebrows or what he does with his hands will surely be struggling with this future politician. What a tragedy for them.....
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    If we are discussing his speech today - He is right. This is important and hopefully will play an important part in the lead up to the Election.
    But if we are only discussing the the thread title (why?).....there is not much to discuss. Both Cameron and Miliband will have hundreds of public appeances which will be photographed. Clearly these are not of great importance - hence the quote.

As I have said many times - some members of this forum are going to have to work out how they will cope with their emotional trauma when we have a poltician who is very different in appearance and behaviour as opposed to slightly different (Miliband).
    Yes - At some point soon I believe a Politician will emerge with a significant disability. Perhaps cerebral palsy. Most people will cope with this development easily. But the forum members who cannot cope with the shape of Ed Miliband's eyebrows or what he does with his hands will surely be struggling with this future politician. What a tragedy for them.....

We already have a politician with cerebral palsy and long before we get onto forum members having a problem, you might want to start with the MP's themselves.

Labour MPs mocked my disability in the Commons, says Tory with cerebral palsy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    We already have a politician with cerebral palsy and long before we get onto forum members having a problem, you might want to start with the MP's themselves.

Labour MPs mocked my disability in the Commons, says Tory with cerebral palsy

If the claims are true I will happily add them to my Who Exactly is Deserving of Ridicule Here? list.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    If the claims are true I will happily add them to my Who Exactly is Deserving of Ridicule Here? list.

Given that he's the one with cerebral palsy, he's the one who spotted the Labour MP's mocking him and two other Labour MP's confirmed it was happening - why are you doubting whether the claims are true?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is more than possible that Miliband and Axelrod can put the negative image perception into reverse. In fact I will predict now that the next leader of the Tories and the Lib-dems will look and act absolutely nothing like Cameron/Clegg/Blair/David Miliband. Does anyone wish to argue with this??
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care how many things are wrong with Ed Miliband - he has one overwhelmingly positive thing going for him. He's not David Cameron.

He's right to point out that this should be about policies not personalities.

I'm not sure the message will have any traction, but it's a point worth making in an era when celebrity culture and media soundbites are so influential.

As for whether the Labour party have got the right policies we will have to wait for the manifesto.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Given that he's the one with cerebral palsy, he's the one who spotted the Labour MP's mocking him and two other Labour MP's confirmed it was happening - why are you doubting whether the claims are true?

Your link was from the Mail. If a Newspaper have confirmed the story I am very willing to accept that it is true.
    Maybe the MPs will remove all doubt about their ability to be crass, trivial, childish, ridiculous, and pathetic by saying, on a public forum, that a Politician who looks and behaves in a way different from their own perception of normal , is "Weird".
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I'm not sure admitting you look like Wallace and look inept at eating a bacon sandwich is a good move but sadly for him his meeting with Obama which was all about PR got next to no coverage.

Perhaps he was taking the rise out of people for whom looks speak volumes about their political views. I agree with him. The press gives him a hard time over what he looks like and those ridiculous pictures of him eating a bacon sarnie had nothing to do with politics. Why shouldn't he meet up with Obama? Doesn't Cameron have the corrupt Russian mafia in his friend circle?
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Tories would understand this fact.

Hug a hoodie Dave, the first PM ever to have a full time private photographer.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pic.twitter.com/yLGv04sWie

Not sure Ed's new election poster at Waterloo station is having the desired effect. :D
  • RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pic.twitter.com/yLGv04sWie

Not sure Ed's new election poster at Waterloo station is having the desired effect. :D

Thanks for that. It's the biggest laugh I've had all month!
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's right to point out that this should be about policies not personalities.

Perhaps he should take his own advice and come up with some policies then?
  • Rastus PiefaceRastus Pieface Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I don't think Tories would understand this fact.

Hug a hoodie Dave, the first PM ever to have a full time private photographer.

so he gave someone a job. and you're moaning?????:o
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the further sell out of our interests to US government and corporations.

Is there anything left to sell?
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    The idea of a vapid, political hack like Ed Miliband standing up for "substance" politics is a joke. Clement Attlee would be turning in his grave.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is more to politics than photo opportunities. That doesn't mean there is no place for photo opportunities, it is a case of getting the balance right. Unfortunately, perhaps due to his background as a PR Exec (but probably because he doesn't appear to have convictions about anything) Cameron gets it wrong.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    looks like he's getting a dressing down from obama in that one pic
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    There is more to politics than photo opportunities. That doesn't mean there is no place for photo opportunities, it is a case of getting the balance right. Unfortunately, perhaps due to his background as a PR Exec (but probably because he doesn't appear to have convictions about anything) Cameron gets it wrong.

And if Milliband actually had any substance he would realise that going on about ones Jewish background and then going on to eat a bacon sandwich was a bit contradictory, given that Jews like Muslims do not eat Pork!
  • PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    I couldn't care less if he looked like Quasimodo or the Phantom of the Opera if only he would advocate a hugely more socially conscious and caring approach than Cameron and his cronies.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if Milliband actually had any substance he would realise that going on about ones Jewish background and then going on to eat a bacon sandwich was a bit contradictory, given that Jews like Muslims do not eat Pork!

Is that the best you can manage? You can have a Jewish background without being a practicing Jew. Is he too Jewish or not Jewish enough for your liking?
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Perhaps he should take his own advice and come up with some policies then?

Will a hundred do for now?

http://www.labourleft.co.uk/100-labour-party-policies-each-point-evidenced-to-orginal-report/

I invite you to give us 100 Tory policies,
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Yeah, I would never vote for that Ed Milliband. He's not even a practising Jew."
    - No one ever
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL - much of that list was debunked the last time you posted it.

I invite you to give us 100 Tory policies,

why would I care how many policies the Tories have - the thread is about Ed's call for more substance in politics.

well done on trying to change the subject to the Tories though. ;-)
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all about balance.

Sadly however this country has become image obsessed.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puterkid wrote: »
    I couldn't care less if he looked like Quasimodo or the Phantom of the Opera if only he would advocate a hugely more socially conscious and caring approach than Cameron and his cronies.

and it is precisely THIS that has them scared, they are well aware that the Tories never really changed from being the 'nasty party' they tried, they tried SO hard to suppress it, but nature always comes out, and these days they have just about given up pretending any more, and are depending on the votes of those who actually like the fact that they are the nasty party to at least help them to be a part of a coalition next year,