[Game] The X Factor: Mix It Up! (series 2) Live Show #5

EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello folks, welcome back to the flawlessness that is the second series of The X Factor: Mix It Up!

Last Monday, the final eight sang songs relating to the four seasons that form a year. There were some standout song choices, as well as some choices that were not received all that well. Unfortunately for Justin and his boys, their song choices were part of the latter category, which eventually put Quatrele Da'An Smith and Ethan Boroian against each other in the sing-off. Luckily, Justin didn't have to send one of his own acts home, as the other judges had already voted Quatrele off once we got to him. Like Kevin, that leaves Justin with only a single act. However, one must never forget one of the most important statements about these competitions: you only need one act to win!

Tonight, the remaining seven contestants will be performing songs from all sorts of genres. At the end of last Monday's show, the judges sent in a number of genres, which were then redistributed among them to be given to their acts. We could see some very interesting combinations today. Whether these combinations are good or bad, we're in for another thrilling live show. Anyway, the lines will open once all seven acts have performed. Once they have, the DS public (and the judges themselves) will be able to vote for their favourite acts in a bid to keep them out of the sing-off. Like the last couple of shows, only one act will be leaving the competition tonight, which means it's once again up to the judges to decide which of the 2 acts that proved unpopular with the public tonight will be heading home.

Without further ado
, allow me to introduce the amazing judges and the top 7 of The X Factor: Mix It Up!
Your intro song for tonight, paying homage to the randomness this theme will bring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioE_O7Lm0I4

jackel1234 and the groups
Black Ivory
Good Question
Princes & Rogues

unclekevo and the last of the girls
Morgan Sheather

jag02010 and the last of the boys
Ethan Boroian

Satanel and the over 25s
Danielle Blakey
Nicola Marie

Judges, please confirm your presence.

Comments

• EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, this is possibly the first time in my entire time hosting games here on DS that I've posted a thread early. :p
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm here!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, it seems it's just you and me then Kev. Goodness knows when Zak will show up, although Justin will probably show himself later this evening.

Let's start then shall we? I have Jack and Zak's comments, so we'll be running with three sets of comments, which is good enough in my opinion.

Anyway, kicking off our game of Genres Roulette is the only act whose mentor is actually here. Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for the amazing Morgan Sheather taking on the Mainstream Pop genre with a Quadron cover of Ex-Factor by Lauryn Hill!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IYwClBX8bM
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morgan Sheather

Hey Morgan! This was quite a good song choice; I thought the Quadron cover was a wise move as her vocal tone suited yours quite well. I must say, I think the song was a little beyond dull but I think it was a good start to the show Morgan, well done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morgan Sheather

I have to say I quite enjoyed that Morgan and really didn’t expect too as Lauryn Hill is one of those artists I never expected to be matched with a cover. I remember last week Justin said you have a habit of being amazing one week then average the next and last week you were average and now you’re back to being quite good. I know Kevin knows what he’s doing with you but I think one thing you need at the moment in constant good song choices because you have what it takes to be a serious contender and we saw that from your Grace Potter choice weeks back now. Overall good performance thoug
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morgan Sheather: Well Morgan, that was incredible, an absolutely brilliant performance from you tonight. I have a feeling that this will be a very divisive performance, I can just see the judging panel being split but I was firmly in the 'love' camp. I thought that it showed off your amazing bluesy tone but also it gave the original song such a fresh edge, it felt like a totally different song and you most definitely made it your own, Morgan you deserve to get through to next week, you're brilliant and your voice is superb, good luck!

10 bonus points to Morgan for her mentor being the only one to turn up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that ain't gonna happen, Kev (maybe if you ask the public nicely). :p

Anyway, decent comments for Morgan on the opening performance of tonight's show. However, is 'decent' good enough at this stage of the competition?

Next up, it's one of the groups. Of course that wasn't hard to guess considering there's still three of them, but still. They has great comments last week, so trying to top that are Princes and Rogues taking on Blues Rock with Morning Come by Delta Rae!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6FtsWX0dTg
    Note: Luckily the band are classed as blues rock via wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Rae
    All: Oh, oh.

Jonny: I found a good woman, I found a job that pays.
    The tide comes in, I watch it all wash away.
    But I'm keeping it steady, that's just how I was raised
    Head held up, walking tall into each broken wave

Cameron: ’Cause the devil’s in the details and he’s taking his toll
    Sending good men down the foot trails of some lost lonely souls

All: And I say oh, oh
    Rain don’t change the sun
    Jealous is the night when the morning comes

Jonny: But it always comes

Cameron: So I’m working the graveyard, I don’t sleep till it’s light

Jonny: Ain’t calling in favors, I can’t swallow my pride

Cameron: And the bank’s on a mission, they want to read me my rights

Jonny: But they ever show up around here, they’re going to be in for a fight
    ’Cause the devil’s in my hometown and I ain’t telling him no

Cameron: ’Cause it’s my family, it’s my love now, that I’m scared to let go

All: And I say oh, oh
    But it always comes

Jonny: Followed the track of my needle
    Tried to be good to my people
    So why’s there no peace?
    No break no relief

Cameron: Can I be blamed if I’m angry?
    Can I be saved if I’m barely clinging to hope?
    I’m clinging to hope

All: When I say oh, oh
    But it always comes

Jonny: It always rains down on us
    And like an old dog lying by a new gravestone
    It’s still our home
    It’s still our home

Cameron: So if you ever feel like you are alone
    After the night
    The morning comes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Princes And Rogues: Guys, this was a harder week for you boys because none of the genres that Jack got were particularly suited to you however I think your mentor actually managed to find something that suited you guys pretty well. I think it was perhaps a little bit strong vocally for you but the harmonies and the whole feel of the performance were exactly how I see you guys as a group, I thought that this aspect of the song was particularly brilliant and you really blew me away with your rendition of the song, it was great guys, congratulations.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Princes & Rogues

OH, I remember this song from somewhere – I think it was used by Carlisle in Team Factor? I remember loving it! This was quite a good song choice for you and I think this is the most mainstream we are ever going to see from Jack ever! I’m not sure whether this is the strongest you have been throughout, but the theme was quite difficult, so well done; I’m sure you’ll be beyond safe tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Princes and Rogues

A quick screw you to whoever chose Blues Rock! Well guys let’s face it boys you’re not exactly a blue rock band in the slightest and eventually we came upon this song (thank you mystery person who will probably reveal himself ). Boys though you did this song brilliantly! You had brilliant harmonies, strong vocals as well as a slight quirky indie side to the song and I think this was a really good performance from you boys! Last week you properly arrived in the competition and now we hope to keep up the standard of last week and let you boys perform you indie songs to you full potential! Bravo boys and keep up the amazing work you’ve done so far!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And again, a good run for Princes & Rogues this show. However, they didn't seem to quite top their last performance judging by the comments they got tonight.
    Will they indeed be "beyond safe" as Zak said, or do the public have other ideas?

The third performance of the night will come from one of the over 25s. She's been a fairly consistent act all this time, but this time she and her mentor Zak needed to change things up a bit. Singing an RnB song called Beautiful People by Nina Sky, it's the one and only Nicola Marie!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ott2FBvC_A
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola Marie

I think this is the first week ever than I am really disappointed with a performance by you but again I am putting it down to the theme more than anything. The problem with this performance is that it just felt really boring and generic and when we look back on all your other performance they’re all have something unique about them be it through the music or the slight country styled vocals you have. Plus the vocals didn’t really suit you that well and I think this is the first time I’ve ever been disappointed with a performance by you Nicola. Your mentor again he knows you so well I am sure he’ll give you some amazing songs if you’re here again next week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicola Marie: Nicola, I think getting amazing comments in this competition is a bit of a doom omen because this was honestly the flip opposite of your last few performances, this was really random. I don't think vocally it was suited to you in any way, what is annoying is that until now Zak has been spot on with his mentoring of you but this was definitely not the right song choice for you, I was really disappointed because you have done such a great job in the competition but this was too weak for you, it was really generic R&B and I don't even feel like the style of the song worked for you. Sorry Nicola, that wasn't great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicola Marie

I was terrified to use R&B for you and I really wish I had never suggested the R&B genre in the first place. HOWEVER, this is more what we saw in your original audition for the X Factor. I think the song itself is really catchy and would be remembered and obviously, the vocals were no problem for you. This is a sudden change in direction, but I hope the others enjoyed it. WELL DONE, Nicola; I personally loved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And for the first time, the judges didn't seem to like Nicola's performance (apart from Zak of course). Could this actually be the end of the road for the contestant that was named a frontrunner just a couple of shows ago?

Back to Jack and his groups. Last show, we had two Lana songs, and apparently we're due for another one already. Taking on the Jazz genre, it's Good Question with Big Spender by Lana Del Rey ft. Smiler.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLs97ZmYFOQ
    Note: Please try and imagine Kristina's female rapping for the male rapper.
    Joelle: The minute you walked in the joint
    I could see you were a man of distinction, a real big spender
    Good lookin’, so refined
    Say, wouldn’t you like to know what’s goin’ on
    Big spender

Kristina: SM your boy Smiler iced out
    Paid da cost to floss what’s the price now?
    Fresh out the gutter, the city begged me to rep it
    Cuzzie I came with collateral, getters get me so f’ it I’ma

Joelle: spender

Kristina: I plug money in harrods,
    I’m bugs bunny wit carrots,
    Diamonds on my neck n my arm blingin’ with class,
    Those that always speculated are now beginning to ask are you a

Kristina: If it’s mines what is it?
    If it shines what is it?
    If ur coming at me with goods and you’re tryna pitch it
    I know it’s cream o’ da crop if it isn’t tell me what is it, I’m a

Kristina: Cash rules, my flash jewels are monumental
    Brass fools just act cool with what credentials?
    It’s second nature, I floss n get it for real
    Black n yellow diamonds all in my chain I’m definitely I’ll

Joelle: Let me get right to the point
    I don’t pop my cork for every man I see
    Hey big spender
    Spend a little time with me

Kristina: Spend time or spend paper, smiler grinds
    Never spend dimes I spend major, listen I’m
    That of a baller, I pick n try it to purchase
    Pull paper outta my anus, it’s blatant buying’s my purpose, I’m a

Kristina: Red carpets, red camera’s- snap snap,
    Red cars I said it’s standard, that’s fact
    Jetsetting and living leisurely, dropping
    80 bags on the spot coz I got it so it’s my pleasure b

Kristina: Strong broads are on fours to see who
    Concords and tom fords, I’m GQ
    Gucci belling me “smiler come in to preview
    All the ish that came today and besides that, we wanna see you” I’m a

Kristina: English kid, distinguished, talk is cheap
    Linguistics, bling bling ish, noughts and g’s,
    Brushing shoulders with movers, shakers n bosses
    Call if it’s related to getting wagers or profits, I’m a spender

Hey big spender

Kristina: Cashcow, I splash out on things nice,
    Cash out, won’t back down or think twice
    Hit the boutiques, cop some for my honey too
    Repertoire impressive, you comprehending that I’m a true

Kristina: The streets knows I keep dough,
    Lace you with peeptoes and neat clothes,
    How better could it get, competition are bluffing
    F’ing with the boy wonder I’ll leave you wanting for nothing, I’m a

Kristina: Ain’t nuttin that no dude can show you,
    Trips to Florida, know food in Nobu,
    Keys to convertibles that I place in ur palm
    Links of London and the Tiffany that I place on your arm, I’m a

Kristina: Big stones, and cribs, homes, the high-life
    Big shows and whips, those that I like,
    When I draw for the Visa leave me alone, I get to swiping
    F the prices I’m in a league of my own I’m a spender

Hey big spender
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Question

Lana Del Rey for the third time within three weeks?! I thought this was a somewhat inspired song choice, but certainly not the best we have seen from you. I thought the song itself was quite unusual, I don’t think a rap should ever be with this song. I’m a bit worried tonight, Good Question, I must say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Question

NAILING JAZZ LADIES AND GENTLEMAN! Girls this a challenge for you that not only allowed us to do what Zak wanted and let Joelle sing more but also kept to the whole style and theme we were going with you both with these great upbeat urban styled songs. We had trouble finding jazz with a female rapper so in the end with this one as it was the one which was most related to you Kristina and damn did you nail it! Joelle your vocals were simply amazing and they were really allowed to shine within this performance. Either way ladies you basically nailed Jazz with flying colours and did a superb job so bravo girls!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Question: Oh Lana Del Rey, what a surprising and unjustly underrused artist :p. Girls, I'll be fair to you, this wasn't really an easy week for you, I think that it was hard to fit Jazz to you girls but I feel like this song choice was pretty rough. It doesn't help that I'm not a fan of the original song but I feel like it didn't work brilliantly for you, that said, in some ways it did work for you as I think the rapping gave it a different dynamic which was perhaps more down your route than the original song however all the same, I don't think this has been your best performance girls and I honestly couldn't confidently say that you're definitely through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who would have ever thought that Good Question would be singing a Jazz-inspired song during this competition? However, what did their loyal fans make of that performance?

Up next, it's the second of the over 25s Zak still has left. She's been under the radar for quite some time, but got a bit of attention last show due to the song her mentor chose for her. Hoping to capitalize on that with another unusual genre for her (Indie Rock), it's Danielle Blakey singing You by The Pretty Reckless!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUMwFaXTM3s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danielle Blakey

It’s weird as this one is the first performance where I have been completely 50/50 about it. I mean the whole vibe of this performance is something really different to anything you’ve ever done and I really quite like that and although I wasn’t completely sold on the vocals I still think that it was a very good a capable performance from you and I think that your mentor did really well to figure out a way to make indie rock work for a country pop singer of your standard and bravo to Zak on doing that. Overall a pretty decent performance and I think you should be safe so yeah bravo!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danielle Blakey: When I saw 'The Pretty Reckless' for you, I was pretty worried because most of their songs are quite edgy and I don't see your voice fitting the tone of the lead singer. This was such a pleasant surprise Danielle, usually I find acoustic songs like this dull but your tone was beautiful and I just found myself so captivated by your performance, you were really good. Vocally, I think it was a brilliant performance, you totally made it your own and I think that it was perfect to show that you're not a one-trick pony, you can tackle Indie Rock as well as the style we normally associate with you, brilliant from you Danielle!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danielle Blakey

The Pretty Reckless are the definition of indie rock. I’ve actually surprised myself with how much this song suits you, Danielle. It was a very emotional performance and certainly a band I never even thought about associating with your name. However, I thought the vocals were stunning and I hope the other judges enjoyed it as much as I did - best of luck Danielle!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good comments for Danielle there, will she finally get the attention she deserves or will the judges' comments have the opposite effect and discourage people from voting for her?

More from the groups coming up next. These girls seem to have quite the fanbase, with a lot of our regular viewers liking them. They got mediocre comments last week, so hoping to win over the judges once more with an Urban-classed song called Lipstick and Guilt by Melody Thornton, it's Black Ivory!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOS7l5-P3J4
    Note: Song is Melody's version of the urban song No Church In The Wild by Kayne West, Frank Ocean and Jay Z.
    Veronica: Bruised knees and scars on his shin-blades baby
    Lipstick and guilt written on your face baby
    See everybody knows how you get down, down
    Everybody knowš how you get around baby
    Hail, hail, hail mary
    Hail mary for the woman that she was, yeah
    And god, god, god willing
    You won't go down for the sin that you does

All: Cause if you make it out alive
    Don't wanna be around to šee your demise
    The industry dun ate you up alive
    Alright, alright
    And there's no church in the wild

Stephanie: Will be a sad day for you when the music dies
    You got business left, baby betta not my mind
    What are your tricks turn, no tricks that hard
    I might feel for you but I won't let down my guard
    Hail, hail, hail mary

All: Cause if you make it out alive
    Don't wanna be around to see your demise
    Alright, alright
    And theres no church in the wild

Veronica & Stephanie: Hail, hail, hail mary

Stephanie Hail, hail, hail mary

All: Cause if you make it out alive baby
    If you make it out alive
    Don't wanna be around to see your demise
    Alright, alright
    And there's no church in the wild
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Ivory: Girls, you are on a roll at the moment, this was exactly what you needed to deliver this week! I think you have given a few good performances but I've been waiting on something outstanding and this was the performance I was waiting on. Your vocals, your harmonies, the energy of the performance, everything was perfect. I really wanted to see you five coming through as a proper girlband and I feel like this week, you have been the best of the groups, it was a brilliant performance, I don't even care that Melody Thornton has been used a lot in these games because this was simply amazing for you, well done Black Ivory!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Ivory

Melody Thornton… as in the Pussycat Doll?! I must say this performance was an amazing song choice by your mentor! The song itself is actually really good (which is surprising from Melody Thornton) and when I saw it in the songlist, I was worried; but those worries were soon put to rest. Even though the song became a little repetitive as it went on, I still thought it was amazing. Safe as houses tonight, well done.