American Presidential Election 2016 Thread

Comments

• David_ElsonDavid_Elson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your first statement is factually incorrect - she has not been found guilty of any crime, she has not been charged with any crime - therefore cannot by definition be a criminal.

Let me ask you this question.

What do you think will happen to the world economy if one of the largest economies is run by a person who has bankrupted so many companies he can no longer get finance from banks and has to turn to other financing which may include money laundering?

A criminal by definition is 'someone who commits a crime'. A finding of guilt by a court is irrelevent.

How could Hillary be found guilty of a crime when she has the people assigned to investigate her already in her pocket?

The U.S. is likely going bankrupt no matter who becomes the 45th president. Perhaps choosing someone with bankruptcy experience will be helpfull:)

What is Hillary's solution for U.S. economic woes? She wants to set up a no fly zone over Syria and start a war with Russia. No worries there. That will fix everything.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    A criminal by definition is 'someone who commits a crime'. A finding of guilt by a court is irrelevent.

Hardly irrelevant, since there is no proof that she did commit a crime.
    How could Hillary be found guilty of a crime when she has the people assigned to investigate her already in her pocket?

Would that be the same way Trump used the Trump Foundation to funnel payments to those investigating his companies?
    The U.S. is likely going bankrupt no matter who becomes the 45th president. Perhaps choosing someone with bankruptcy experience will be helpfull:)

Putting a person in charge of taxpayer funds who has shown a lamentable ability with his own funds does not exactly strike one as sensible.
    What is Hillary's solution for U.S. economic woes? She wants to set up a no fly zone over Syria and start a war with Russia. No worries there. That will fix everything.

That would be foreign policy not economic ;)

But how about the following;

Tax cuts to the middle class and small businesses (Trumps tax cuts are skewed to the already wealthy, and would create a large budget deficit according to experts. Federal debt would climb $5.3 trillion through 2026, according to an analysis by the Committee for a Responsible Budget, under Clinton The debt would increase $200 billion over 10 years under Clinton’s plan, according to the analysis by the Committee for a Responsible Budget.)

National Infrastructure Plan to allocate $27.5 billion annually to improve roads, bridges, public transit, rail, airports, the Internet, and water systems

Raise the U.S. minimum wage to $15 an hour

Investments held between one and two years would be taxed at the maximum income-tax rate of 39.6%. Assets held for longer would be taxed on a sliding scale, such as 36% for those held 2-3 years, 32% for those held three to four years, and 20% (the current rate) for those held for six years or more.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,793
    Forum Member
    Is it true that Obama/Democrats didn't win Pensylvania in the last 2 elections? I heard one report saying the Dems haven't one that state in ages, but that can't be true can it?
  • hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Is it true that Obama/Democrats didn't win Pensylvania in the last 2 elections? I heard one report saying the Dems haven't one that state in ages, but that can't be true can it?

Democratic nominees have won PA in every election since 1992.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »

nope its not true, obama won it both years

if you look at the "snake" graphic halfway down the page, pennsylvania is the win line for trump based on current polls of where he needs to win to get to 270 votes

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=rrpromo
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So there's no need for a trial or evidence or any of that stuff, just slap 'em in jail!
  • NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    So there's no need for a trial or evidence or any of that stuff, just slap 'em in jail!

To be honest, that's 18 minutes of 'whataboutery' and my life I won't be getting back. I thought our journalism was shonky sometimes, but I'm glad I don't have to digest pieces like that on a regular basis. Nothing new here that wasn't already known... Democrats file some legal stuff and lets be as hyperbolic as we can... nothing to add here... nothing has actually happened (I mean really, actually happened)... and what you quoted John.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Good grief, so Trump intends to drag the Republican Part down into the mire.

It will be interesting to see if this goes to the Supreme Court.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nodger wrote: »
    To be honest, that's 18 minutes of 'whataboutery' and my life I won't be getting back. I thought our journalism was shonky sometimes, but I'm glad I don't have to digest pieces like that on a regular basis. Nothing new here that wasn't already known... Democrats file some legal stuff and lets be as hyperbolic as we can... nothing to add here... nothing has actually happened (I mean really, actually happened)... and what you quoted John.

That's just the pull of the market unfortunately. As you can see from posts on here, more people want to read conspiracy theories that support their views rather than the boring hard facts. It's easily to jump into a fantasy world where all your prejudices are confirmed rather than challenge your politics.
  • Flubber.Flubber. Posts: 2,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Flubber.Flubber. Posts: 2,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nodger wrote: »

Trump is inciting intimidations at best, violence at worst.

How would you feel if you wanted to vote but were too frightened because there are people with guns patrolling your voting booth?
  • NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Flubber. wrote: »
    1.Trump is inciting intimidations at best, violence at worst.

2. How would you feel if you wanted to vote but were too frightened because there are people with guns patrolling your voting booth?

1. Your take and never confirmed or denied in my post, but acknowledged.

2. Precisely the whataboutery referred to in my post.

You'll find, that if you read my post (the critique of the journalism) again, everything (1. & 2.) is addressed and then the blue one covers it further.
  • mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Val1 wrote: »
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=84338723&postcount=13214
    I couldn't find what you had alleged, that she "has been arrested", only that there were "proposed indictments" which were never issued.

She was arrested, her finger prints were taken and she was questioned at the time as was Bill Clinton and the others who were associated with it as is standard with Fraud cases. I think Tony Blair's wife was in a similar thing as well.
    Longshot wrote: »
    The funniest thing about your rambling, confused post is that it doesn't even sound like you believe this explanation yourself. Presidential candidates are vigorously vetted by security services and the FBI long before they get anywhere near the election. If there had been any issue with Obama's citizenship it would have been discovered and he would have been quietly told to drop out to save the embarrassment of a constitutional crisis after he took office. It may surprise you to know, the public do not need nuts like Trump and his followers to act as their watchdogs.

The questioning about Obama's birth certificate wasn't exclusive to Trump or even Republicans but Trump was a big voice in the group. To be the president of America you need to have been born in America and the issue there was the state he was born in had only been a state for 2 years so some people would have wanted to do more investigation because he could have been born 2 years before and not been an American citizen, the same would happen if he was born in Alaska. For Obama his parents had it published in the local newspaper which proved he was born there.
    Every single one of those birthers who demanded to see Trumps birth certificate and continued to question his citizenship even after he produced it, did so because they were racists who couldn't stand the idea of having a black president. Anyone who claims otherwise is only kidding themselves about their own motives.

Trump has produced his birth certificate. Trump isn't black, he's orange. If Boris Johnson wanted to be president of America there would be people questioning his birth certificate too because he moved around a lot as well.
    Who cares if he moved around a lot and who cares that if he had been born 2 years earlier, he would not have been an American citizen? He wasn't born 2 years earlier and there was never any question that he was born 2 years earlier so this is irrelevant. Did this nonsense even make sense in your head before you posted it on here?

Of course they are. As I said above, all presidential candidates are thoroughly checked before getting near the oval office. The security services will know every secret about the candidates and will act if they present a danger to the office of the president or the American people. Only a complete fool would believe otherwise. What was exclusive to Obama was he was the first president that racists like Trump and his alt-right goons thought they could embarrass by publicly demanding he provide not only his birth certificate but also his college graduation papers. People who defend and make excuses for the birther movement just show they are as racist as Trump.

It was because he moved around a lot which sparked it because to be president of America you have to be born in America so there will always be people questioning if a candidate is legible to be president but they are always small groups, there are probably more people who believe Obama is a shape shifting lizard than those who believe he was not born in America.

For people to think it is due to racism they would have to be unaware that presidential candidates have to be born in the USA and that Hawaii only become a US state in 1959 close to Obamas year of birth. To assume it is about race you would have to be racist to connect Obama being mixed race with people questioning if Obama was born in America, many Hawaiians are dark, Bruno Mars is from Hawaii and is about as dark as Obama.
  • LongshotLongshot Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    Gary Johnson is weird and if this video is anything to go by, a little bit unstable

Gary Johnson erupts when asked about his tax policy and the success of his rival
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/27/gary-johnson-tax-policy-evan-mcmullin-utah
  • oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mseven1 wrote: »

For people to think it is due to racism they would have to be unaware that presidential candidates have to be born in the USA and that Hawaii only become a US state in 1959 close to Obamas year of birth. To assume it is about race you would have to be racist to connect Obama being mixed race with people questioning if Obama was born in America, many Hawaiians are dark, Bruno Mars is from Hawaii and is about as dark as Obama.

This is just garbage. John McCain wasn't born in the US and you don't see people making a big deal about it. He was born in the Panama Canal Zone. Anyone born of US parents outside of the US is a citizen, being born on American soil has nothing to do with it.

The attacks on Obama were absolutely racist and bigoted. People were saying he was Islamic and passing around pictures of him standing in the White House lawn with watermelons and a bone through his nose. You're just trying to rewrite history and absolve the right-wing idiots of fanning the flames of racist rhetoric in order to win over backwards southern bigots.

I'm from the US south. I was there when Obama was being elected. That non-citizen crap was absolutely racist and Donald Trump was the one pushing it and giving it high-profile status. He'd still be doing it if he didn't think it would turn off non-racist white voters who he desperately needs to win the race. God know's he floats around enough other garbage that's proven to be untrue.
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Gary Johnson is weird and if this video is anything to go by, a little bit unstable

Gary Johnson erupts when asked about his tax policy and the success of his rival
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/27/gary-johnson-tax-policy-evan-mcmullin-utah
    Just as Trump's main selling point is that he isn't Hillary and Hillary's main selling point is that she isn't Trump, Johnson's USP is that he's neither Hillary or Trump.
  • SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, he's deffo a bit of a nutjob - it's unfortunate, I can't believe the Libertarians (a party I basically have a lot of time for) couldn't field a better candidate? (A squealy man with round empty eyes just isn't the right answer?! And we know that many Americans tend to have a somewhat tenuous grasp of world geography, but.....really?! :o) Jill Stein's not much better - John Oliver ran a bit of film on her, where she came over as an ineffectual flake (with a "I don't really know, let's not bother about that" kind of attitude). I suppose these people never expected to be taken this seriously, but things going the way they are mean that they're getting interviews etc. they probably never dreamed of...;-)
  • DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    To be the president of America you need to have been born in America and the issue there was the state he was born in had only been a state for 2 years so some people would have wanted to do more investigation because he could have been born 2 years before and not been an American citizen, the same would happen if he was born in Alaska.
    Utter and total tosh, what do they teach kids at school these days.

The requirement is "natural born", which is generally accepted to be born a citizen of the US like John McCain (born Panama) & Ted Cruz (Canada).

Barry Goldwater was born in what was then the Arizona Territory and hence not part of the USA so even if Obama had been born 3 years earlier he still would have been an American citizen
  • LongshotLongshot Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    She was arrested, her finger prints were taken and she was questioned at the time as was Bill Clinton and the others who were associated with it as is standard with Fraud cases. I think Tony Blair's wife was in a similar thing as well.

The questioning about Obama's birth certificate wasn't exclusive to Trump or even Republicans but Trump was a big voice in the group. To be the president of America you need to have been born in America and the issue there was the state he was born in had only been a state for 2 years so some people would have wanted to do more investigation because he could have been born 2 years before and not been an American citizen, the same would happen if he was born in Alaska. For Obama his parents had it published in the local newspaper which proved he was born there.

Trump has produced his birth certificate. Trump isn't black, he's orange. If Boris Johnson wanted to be president of America there would be people questioning his birth certificate too because he moved around a lot as well.

It was because he moved around a lot which sparked it because to be president of America you have to be born in America so there will always be people questioning if a candidate is legible to be president but they are always small groups, there are probably more people who believe Obama is a shape shifting lizard than those who believe he was not born in America.

Apparently you think repeating the same thing over & over again will somehow make it true. It doesn't matter if Obama was born two years after Hawaii became part of the US, there was never any question he was born after that date. The whole moving about thing is just nonsense too as it was hardly uncommon for people to do that due to work or in search of better opportunities.

If this was such a burning issue for you birthers, why was there not a campaign to prove Sarah Palin was a US citizen when she was running for Vice President? Her family moved to Alaska when she was a few months old, and she was born several years after Alaska joined the US. Was she really born in Idaho in the year she claims or was she actually born in Alaska before it joined the US? You would think birthers, who are mainly Tea-Party nutjobs would have wanted some public assurances about this woman who "traveled in her youth" and grew up in a "state that had only recently became part of the US" before her birth before giving her their rabid support.

The reason this never even came up for Palin is because she was white and birthers are racists who only cared about embarrassing the country's first black President. If they had to put up with a black man in charge, they were going to make him remember his place and prove who he was to them just like slaves were forced to do in the past. Keep lying to yourself if it makes you feel better.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,564
    Forum Member
    oncemore wrote: »
    This is just garbage. John McCain wasn't born in the US and you don't see people making a big deal about it. He was born in the Panama Canal Zone. Anyone born of US parents outside of the US is a citizen, being born on American soil has nothing to do with it.

The attacks on Obama were absolutely racist and bigoted. People were saying he was Islamic and passing around pictures of him standing in the White House lawn with watermelons and a bone through his nose. You're just trying to rewrite history and absolve the right-wing idiots of fanning the flames of racist rhetoric in order to win over backwards southern bigots.

I'm from the US south. I was there when Obama was being elected. That non-citizen crap was absolutely racist and Donald Trump was the one pushing it and giving it high-profile status. He'd still be doing it if he didn't think it would turn off non-racist white voters who he desperately needs to win the racex. God know's he floats around enough other garbage that's proven to be untrue.
    Great post!
    I see that the First Lady is appearing later today with HC at a rally in North Caroline.
    IMO will Michelle Obama help get out the vote and is she as popular in the US as she seems to be in the UK?
    The only ones who speak badly of her over here seem to be the extremists.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Article II, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution says

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

The Congressional Research Service concluded in 2011:

"The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term 'natural born' citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship 'by birth' or 'at birth,' either by being born 'in' the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship 'at birth.'"

John McCain was born on August 29, 1936, at Coco Solo Naval Air Station in the Panama Canal Zone, to naval officer John S. McCain Jr. (1911–1981) and Roberta (Wright) McCain (born 1912). Ergo would fall in the accepted definition of a natural born citizen.
    If Boris Johnson wanted to be president of America there would be people questioning his birth certificate too because he moved around a lot as well.

Boris Johnson was born in New York - he subsequently revoked his American Citizenship but could well have been US President prior to this.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm from the US south. I was there when Obama was being elected. That non-citizen crap was absolutely racist and Donald Drumpf was the one pushing it and giving it high-profile status. He'd still be doing it if he didn't think it would turn off non-racist white voters who he desperately needs to win the race. God know's he floats around enough other garbage that's proven to be untrue.

Exactly.

To be POTUS you need to be a natural born citizen (a citizen from birth), which means having at least one parent a U.S. citizen.

And I speak from experience, since my daughter was born in England, to me, an American, and was required by U.S. law to have her birth registered with with U.S. embassy and to obtain a U.S. passport in order to enter the U.S.

mseven1 doesn't know what she's talking about.
  • oncemoreoncemore Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Article II, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution says

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

The Congressional Research Service concluded in 2011:

"The weight of legal and historical authority indicates that the term 'natural born' citizen would mean a person who is entitled to U.S. citizenship 'by birth' or 'at birth,' either by being born 'in' the United States and under its jurisdiction, even those born to alien parents; by being born abroad to U.S. citizen-parents; or by being born in other situations meeting legal requirements for U.S. citizenship 'at birth.'"

John McCain was born on August 29, 1936, at Coco Solo Naval Air Station in the Panama Canal Zone, to naval officer John S. McCain Jr. (1911–1981) and Roberta (Wright) McCain (born 1912). Ergo would fall in the accepted definition of a natural born citizen.

Boris Johnson was born in New York - he subsequently revoked his American Citizenship but could well have been US President prior to this.

Note the date on that finding by the Congressional Research Service
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Great post!
    I see that the First Lady is appearing later today with HC at a rally in North Caroline.
    IMO will Michelle Obama help get out the vote and is she as popular in the US as she seems to be in the UK?
    The only ones who speak badly of her over here seem to be the extremists.

Indeed.
    Michelle Obama is the most popular person on America’s political stage.
This discussion has been closed.