TVonics lipsync issues cleared up?

KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm considering buying one of the new DTR-FP1600 or DTR-FP2500 models with the series record feature, etc.

I heard that earlier versions had issues with lipsync under some circumstances, but that this was supposed to be getting fixed in the newer versions of the software. Is this the case?

Comments

• Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Kodaz wrote: »
    I'm considering buying one of the new DTR-FP1600 or DTR-FP2500 models with the series record feature, etc.

I heard that earlier versions had issues with lipsync under some circumstances, but that this was supposed to be getting fixed in the newer versions of the software. Is this the case?

Yes :)
  • saiorse44saiorse44 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    It has happened to us recently but both times it was on BBC2. Stop then play again sorts it. :)
    Forum Member
    saiorse44 wrote: »
    It has happened to us recently but both times it was on BBC2. Stop then play again sorts it. :)

Was it Dad's Army by any chance? Particularly bad on my previous box.
  • saiorse44saiorse44 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Not to my recollection, no. I think it was Flog It.

One other problem we occaisionally have is that the box will jump back a few seconds and start repeating itself back a few seconds and start repeating itself back a few seconds and start repeating itself. :p:rolleyes:

If it doesent then a quick stop, play will get it going again.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    Yes :)
    Er.... thanks, I think, but I posted that comment about five weeks ago and got one in the meantime(!)

My answer to myself would be "supposedly". Though I'm not 100% sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    kodaz wat do u mean supposedly? does the box stil have lip sync issues? even tho u got one of the newer freeview+ ones?

would u recommend the box cus im thinkin of getin one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kodaz wat do u mean supposedly? does the box stil have lip sync issues? even tho u got one of the newer freeview+ ones?

would u recommend the box cus im thinkin of getin one

I've had one occasion where the sound got blatantly out of sync on a recording (solved, as others have mentioned, by stopping and restarting the playback). The others are probably me looking too hard for problems, or being picky. :rolleyes: Since everyone else seems to agree that this has been cleared up (occasional glitch aside), I'll go with the majority and say don't worry about it. :D

However, there *is* a definite and irritating problem with the EPG channel list getting mangled when you reach the end. See this thread here

This isn't a major catastrophe and can be worked around if you know what's happening, but it's annoying for me. More seriously, it's enough for me to hesitate to recommend this box unreservedly to technophobes- or those buying one for them- which I would have done otherwise. If it's enough to confuse one's stereotypical Granny, then it negates what was otherwise one of the TVonics boxes' major advantages.

It's probably a glitch related to Freeview's new channel format (see main thread), and since I'm guessing it's probably not too hard to fix (and update over the air) normally I'd expect to see it fixed soon. However, TVonics didn't even answer the phone or reply to emails *at all* (!) when I was trying to find out what the problem was (main thread again), so it doesn't inspire confidence.

The DTR-FP2500 is otherwise a good box, by the way.

- Kodaz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Kodaz wrote: »
    However, there *is* a definite and irritating problem with the EPG channel list getting mangled when you reach the end. See this thread here

It can be fixed (at least on my DVR-FP250) by hiding channels 303 and 305 from showing in the EPG. This same glitch happens on another make of box and has been reported elsewhere here.

The reason seems to be that 303 and 305 have only recently become hidden channels, so a new tune from scratch in theory shouldn't show them in the EPG.

Rob
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerrj wrote: »
    It can be fixed (at least on my DVR-FP250) by hiding channels 303 and 305 from showing in the EPG. This same glitch happens on another make of box and has been reported elsewhere here.

The reason seems to be that 303 and 305 have only recently become hidden channels, so a new tune from scratch in theory shouldn't show them in the EPG.

Rob

Ah, that seems to do the trick on my DTR-FP2500. I removed them and it's fine. Thanks for letting me know! :)

BTW, when I first came across this problem, I retuned the box from scratch, and the problem remained (as did 303 and 305), so in practice they *do* appear on the EPG anyway.

Strangely, now that I've manually removed them I can tune to 303 but not 305.
    Forum Member
    Has anybody else had a problem with the box suddenly ceasing to respond to the remote control? When this happens the buttons on the front don't work either, and you have to unplug the box and plug it in again.

Somebody on another thread said that their box (a Humax) sometimes switched itself on and they suggested that the reason was low-energy lightbulbs! I had low-energy lightbulbs in my lounge and now I've removed them the problem seems to have stopped...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    Has anybody else had a problem with the box suddenly ceasing to respond to the remote control? When this happens the buttons on the front don't work either, and you have to unplug the box and plug it in again.

Somebody on another thread said that their box (a Humax) sometimes switched itself on and they suggested that the reason was low-energy lightbulbs! I had low-energy lightbulbs in my lounge and now I've removed them the problem seems to have stopped...

Yes it same problem as me I think it case bug by use subtitle on my DTR 1600 with new Freeview+ software. I think that it why TVonics delay to release over the air download of new Freeview+ software because new Freeview+ software found new problem. So I report to TVonics about it and it same as your. There will sort out to bug fix before final release to over the air download update software.