Could There Ever Be A Real North/South Divide?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    As I have said I know there are awful places everywhere but I am just one puss, I cannot solve the problems of the world. My point was the reaction from some people in the south (and yes it is mainly the south east) who seem to think northerners are subhuman. We get told how great the south is (and it has happened on this thread :eek:) and how they would be better off without us.

People will snap one day and I don't blame them to be honest :(

Well I've witnessed plenty of hostility directed towards southerners on threads in this forum too, this one included. None of that excuses demonising a whole population. And just to be clear, London is a city in the south, not a city full of southerners, plenty of those spiv bankers hail from all over the UK, and they've managed to f**k over plenty of people all over the country too.

It's more a question of class not geography.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearview wrote: »
    What, you have a much higher rate of alcoholism, heart disease, diabetes and obesity and unsurprisingly a much lower rater of life expectancy than people in the South?

Sad, really sad.

Err no :confused:

The 'sad, really sad' comment is rather patronising seeing as all I said was that I had more in common with the Scots than Southern England. It's attitudes like the above that tend to confirm my opinion.

As I'm on the border it stands to reason I would share an affinity with Scotland rather than London which is over 300 miles from me. If pushed though I must admit that prefer the pace of life up here and, I stress in general, find the people more friendly and welcoming than I do in the South. I also think I have a much better standard of living here than most people in similar circumstances down South.

It's horses for courses and each to their own but I'd quite like to be part of Scotland. Would have been in years gone by anyway. :)
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Geordie I don't feel particularly Scottish, more Northern English. I would love a Northumbrian nation, stretching from the border to the Humber river. Who's with me? Look, we've already got a flag.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Flag_of_Northumbria.png/300px-Flag_of_Northumbria.png
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    philkent wrote: »
    Well I've witnessed plenty of hostility directed towards southerners on threads in this forum too, this one included. None of that excuses demonising a whole population. And just to be clear, London is a city in the south, not a city full of southerners, plenty of those spiv bankers hail from all over the UK, and they've managed to f**k over plenty of people all over the country too.

It's more a question of class not geography.

I am sorry if you have experience abuse, though as you can also see fromn this thread as well as others that abuse goes both ways. My (jokey) suggestion was merely to highlight a grave problem. I can only do so much. Perhaps if you feel so strongly about the way things are in other areas of the UK then you should do something about it :)
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    As a Geordie I don't feel particularly Scottish, more Northern English. I would love a Northumbrian nation, stretching from the border to the Humber river. Who's with me? Look, we've already got a flag.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Flag_of_Northumbria.png/300px-Flag_of_Northumbria.png

I would love a Northumbrian nation too, but that would not be large enough to work and as this thread also shows there are plenty people even as far down as the Midlands who feel abandoned by central government and have a greater connection to the north than the south. If they wanted to join us I would welcome them

I do have to say though that the flag is a bit :eek::eek::eek::eek: Though we would still be able to see it in the fog :D
  • ClearviewClearview Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Err no :confused:

The 'sad, really sad' comment is rather patronising seeing as all I said was that I had more in common with the Scots than Southern England. It's attitudes like the above that tend to confirm my opinion.

As I'm on the border it stands to reason I would share an affinity with Scotland rather than London which is over 300 miles from me. If pushed though I must admit that prefer the pace of life up here and, I stress in general, find the people more friendly and welcoming than I do in the South. I also think I have a much better standard of living here than most people in similar circumstances down South.

It's horses for courses and each to their own but I'd quite like to be part of Scotland. Would have been in years gone by anyway. :)

That is like saying someone from Dover should have more in common with people in Calais than in Manchester or Newcastle which is ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sorry if you have experience abuse, though as you can also see fromn this thread as well as others that abuse goes both ways. My (jokey) suggestion was merely to highlight a grave problem. I can only do so much. Perhaps if you feel so strongly about the way things are in other areas of the UK then you should do something about it :)

I would love a Northumbrian nation too, but that would not be large enough to work and as this thread also shows there are plenty people even as far down as the Midlands who feel abandoned by central government and have a greater connection to the north than the south. If they wanted to join us I would welcome them

I do have to say though that the flag is a bit :eek::eek::eek::eek: Though we would still be able to see it in the fog :D

It's the flag of the Kingdom of Northumbria, created by the Angles. I suppose we could invite Mercia, but I think that area is a bit too Southern. Also, would the Scots want us?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Starpuss;44065219 Perhaps if you feel so strongly about the way things are in other areas of the UK then you should do something about it :)

I don't think carving up a country is going to be the way to do that IMHO, and a sense of abondonment is not peculiar to the North either. I think most everyday hardworking people feel pretty marginalised by the govt.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is like saying someone from Dover should have more in common with people in Calais than in Manchester or Newcastle which is ridiculous.

Err again no:confused:

France and Britain are two separate countries whereas England and Scotland are both part of the same sovereign state, the people of which are both British and both speak the same language, most of the time at any rate.

Maybe you missed the part when I said I was from the border? It would be unusual for me not to have more in common in general with the people and the area I have been born and raised in rather than the people in a capital city hundreds of miles away from me. It's simply common sense,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTEI don't think carving up a country is going to be the way to do that IMHO, and a sense of abondonment is not peculiar to the North either. I think most everyday hardworking people feel pretty marginalised by the govt.

I agree completely. But as I live in the north and feel we would benefit from our own government then I am bringing that point of view forward. If you think other areas need to protest too then, as I said, you head up a protest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the flag of the Kingdom of Northumbria, created by the Angles. I suppose we could invite Mercia, but I think that area is a bit too Southern. Also, would the Scots want us?

I still think the flag is :eek::eek::eek::eek: :D

I am sure the Scots would listen to our proposals ::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Starpuss;44065219 Perhaps if you feel so strongly about the way things are in other areas of the UK then you should do something about it :)

I don't think carving up a country is going to be the way to do that IMHO, and a sense of abondonment is not peculiar to the North either. I think most everyday hardworking people feel pretty marginalised by the govt.

Its hardly carving up a country .the UK has always been a botched together fiddle to keep London in control .The North is a seperate entity and has its own identity and natural borders .If Scotland /Wales ever gets independence what would happen to the North :eek: as it would be ruled by a Tory London axis South forever .
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We could look at the flags of all the Northern counties and see if any could be combined to make one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We could look at the flags of all the Northern counties and see if any could be combined to make one.

I tried but theres too many individual counties like Northumberland, Cumbria, Lancashire etc. That's why I got the idea for Northumbria, because it's massive and covers many modern counties.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you could have a flag with Lemmings throwing themselves off a cliff on it.....:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    Maybe you could have a flag with Lemmings throwing themselves off a cliff on it.....:p

You do realise this is a myth don't you? Lemmings don't throw themselves off cliffs
    Forum Member

I favour a new flag .It could be a Nationwide competition and include some of the old designs as well as new ones and then the public decide just like the new Northern National Anthem that will be needed .Also the Parliament would need a name and should be by proportional representation for fairness .
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are plenty of areas in London and the southeast that are pretty grim also, then add on to that growing unemployment, wage cuts and still sky high costs to contend with, not to mention crime, overcrowding and the frantic pace of life.

There are parts of London that are so grim I wouldn't be surprised if the local population had cholera.
  • DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    What should we have as the capital? Chester, Lancaster, York or Durham? Obviously I'd have to go for Lancaster. :p:D

Lancaster would be the capital because it's the county town of Lancashire. Manchester or Liverpool wouldn't be the capital because the other city would complain and refuse to be part of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    As I have said I know there are awful places everywhere but I am just one puss, I cannot solve the problems of the world. My point was the reaction from some people in the south (and yes it is mainly the south east) who seem to think northerners are subhuman. We get told how great the south is (and it has happened on this thread :eek:) and how they would be better off without us.

I'm a Southerner and live up North for most of the year, and from my experience there are a lot of Northerners with gigantic chips on their shoulders about "London" by which they mean the entire South East. Just as there are those who struggle to comprehend there is life outside of the South, there are plenty of Northerners with massive complexes about the South East.
  • BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pfft, independence for London please. Now. That way, no more whining from the rest of the country, and we get to keep our taxes. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Southerner and live up North for most of the year, and from my experience there are a lot of Northerners with gigantic chips on their shoulders about "London" by which they mean the entire South East. Just as there are those who struggle to comprehend there is life outside of the South, there are plenty of Northerners with massive complexes about the South East.

I am sure that is true but there are people who struggle to comprehend many things all over the country :)
    Forum Member
    There are parts of London that are so grim I wouldn't be surprised if the local population had cholera.

The North has everything you'd want .London just spoils things for the rest of the UK by dominating everything .The south east should merge with Belgium or France
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pfft, independence for London please. Now. That way, no more whining from the rest of the country, and we get to keep our taxes. :D

Also London should withdraw from the EU and model itself on Switzerland!
  • ClearviewClearview Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also London should withdraw from the EU and model itself on Switzerland!

Nah more like Singapore! As Benjamin Disraeli said: "London: a nation, not a city"
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah more like Singapore! As Benjamin Disraeli said: "London: a nation, not a city"

As long as we get the same tax rates as Singapore - 7% instead of 40% max is 20% on over £600,000S$ and the equivalant of NI is substantially less.