did you watch this?
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was about Britsh countryside animals:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't sit in front of it myself but my daughter loved it. She got the magazine series as well.

Yes it was about British wild animals with foxes and things ... :D
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me and a friend were only watching through my old tapes of the show a couple of weeks ago. The end of Series 2 where Bold dies still gets to me. Suprisingly dark and well written for a kids show to be honest.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i didnt know they had polar bears in Farthing Wood
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the OP is talking about a similar animation called Noah's Island in which Noah was the Polar Bear on this island. He was voiced by Ron Moody who did Badger in Farthing Wood.

Much preferred Farthing Wood. It's an old favourite of mine. :)
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    I adore this cartoon, even now at the ripe old age of 26.

I've never seen the OP's trippy, made-up version of it though. :D
  • jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oo im sorry i meant noahs island :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOVED Farthing Wood. Had the magazine and EVERYTHING :D
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    Cant really remember this too well as I was only very young but having a main character like Bold and many others die in a kids TV series would be shocking today and shows how mature and adult this series really was.

A remake of this would sit nicely on a Saturday night or maybe a one-off Christmas Day special in the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was utterly addicted to Animals of Farthing Wood. I had every book, every magazine, every item that I could get - I had.

I cried when Mr and Mrs Pheasant died :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was quite dark and often sad. It reminded me of Watership Down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/animation/watch/v4794873athHHt28
    Ah the memories. I was obsessed! The worst bit for me was Mr and Mrs Pheasant too. :(
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't remember watching this much but I do remember having a couple of the books and magazines.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    MrsSpoon wrote: »
    It was quite dark and often sad. It reminded me of Watership Down.

It was influenced by Watership Down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never seen the first series and need to.
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    My old mum mentioned this to me this morning ( only she called it Starling Wood). She was being all nostalgic remembering picking my kids up from school and them watching it when they got home.

My kids loved it and there was a local woodland where we used to go for walks that we called Farthing Wood, and in fact I still call it that! People look at me blankly when I call it that and then have to rememebr that its actually got a proper name.

That weasel was really annoying I seem to remember though.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did as a kid.
    I her the first series is on DVD in both German And English.
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    Yes, I used to be addicted to that whole series. I had the books, tapes, videos, everything. Weasel was always my favourite. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Loved this show as a kid. Collected all the magazines and god knows what else. I also remember writing out the whole story on 14/15 sheets of A4 paper (both sides) for my mum to read. :o. I dont think she did though. :D
  • EtherealEthereal Posts: 36,118
    Forum Member
    I adored this programme! The episode where the hedgehogs die crossing the busy road traumatised me as a child and I can still remember it now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this!! I cried so much when the mice were killed.
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    loved this show, i had all the magazines and everything...wish i'd never thrown them away . I remember sobbing when the hedgehogs died and badger later on the series.
    When i look back and think about it, i can't believe how dark it was. There's no way they'd make this and put it on kids tv now. Has it ever been repeated?
  • BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    loved this show, i had all the magazines and everything...wish i'd never thrown them away . I remember sobbing when the hedgehogs died and badger later on the series.
    When i look back and think about it, i can't believe how dark it was. There's no way they'd make this and put it on kids tv now. Has it ever been repeated?

Don't know if anyone remembers David The Gnome's death episode. It was on at about the same time as Farthing Wood.

I watched it with my kids when I was about 23 years old and I cried. Couldn't belive it was a kids cartoon. It was all innocent in my day, Bagpus and Blue Peter. David the Gnome and Farthing Wood were pretty dark in terms of the themes they tackled.

Seems the 1990's were quite daring in terms of death in kids TV;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son loved FW - I think he was about 10 - and I was pleased to get him away from all the American cartoons-to-sell-the-toys (Okay I know there were FW tie-ins, but at least it started life as a series of books). Then, in his late teens when discussing TV shows with his friends, turns out they all watched it and loved it too.

Some months ago, FW was mentioned in a thread about whether it was right or not to show the true nature of nature :confused: Can't say that my son or his friends were traumatised by the death bits. In fact, I'm sure that FW has a lot to do with his love of animals (his fav cuddlies were a badger and a mole!)