The Royal Variety Performance 2010

Comments

• performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it that people who perform in stuff like Les Miserables are such amazing singers, but people like Matt/ Rebecca and One Direction are considered to be the best singers in the country?

Aren't the cast of musicals much better singers than anyone in X factor?

Yes, and they have real careers! Mediocre singers/performers who can't make it on their own are the ones who Cowell likes to take for The X Factor. The general public don't like it when someone's amazingly good a singer, they find it harder to relate. Note how the X Factor stars are 'just a girl from Liverpool', 'just a painter and decorator', 'just five young lads put together at the last minute' etc etc, this is what sells them to the public.

I thought the Les Mis singers were totally amazing! The girl, whoever she is, my god what a star!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it that people who perform in stuff like Les Miserables are such amazing singers, but people like Matt/ Rebecca and One Direction are considered to be the best singers in the country?

Agree 100%, but they don't fit into the Cowell plan.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanequil wrote: »
    Gymnasts.

Well it is variety.

I was waiting for them but couldn't see them for the flashing lights and ridiculous camera angles. :mad:

Actually, one of the people from Pop Idol was in Les Miserables! Perhaps not on this occasion but Gareth Gates made a very good Marius when I saw it earlier in the year.
  • kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, and they have real careers! Mediocre singers/performers who can't make it on their own are the ones who Cowell likes to take for The X Factor. The general public don't like it when someone's amazingly good a singer, they find it harder to relate. Note how the X Factor stars are 'just a girl from Liverpool', 'just a painter and decorator', 'just five young lads put together at the last minute' etc etc, this is what sells them to the public.

I thought the Les Mis singers were totally amazing! The girl, whoever she is, my god what a star!

And she sings live every day and dances. No auto tune or miming to a backing track!
  • Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They have to earn a living in an extremely tough world.

They are selected because they can! Anyone with only the talent level of a pop star would be laughed out of the audition.

To be even a part of the chorus in a multi-million pound show you have to be bloody good. They just don't take freeloaders and risk the standard of their gold mine.

Really, Westend musical singers have to be at the very top of their game and be able to do it live 8 times a week.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    No one sings Bring him home like Colm Wilkinson. Pure magic. Alfie Boa went OTT with his performance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only saw the last 45 minutes but enjoyed Take That. CCole not even a good club singer. Les Mis made my ears bleed. Don't find John Bishop funny and he seemed like he wasn't really bothered whether he was there or not. Quite enjoyed the 'eastend' comedian but didn't catch his name. MMc seemed a bit confused at times and not at all confident.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Samantha Barks :)

I think I saw Andrew Lloyd Webber in the audience so he must've been extremely proud of both her and Danielle who came from his shows.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    All the comics were dire. Hardly a good advert for their dvds. Show shouldnt be used just to plug a pop stars latest record either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Andrew Lloyd Webber too, not that I like him :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only saw the last 45 minutes but enjoyed Take That. CCole not even a good club singer. Les Mis made my ears bleed.

:eek: How could you have preferred Take That over Les Mis?!

Music really IS subjective!
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show was spoiled by awful camerawork, too many longshots, moving in and out all the time. The director must have St Vitus Dance.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show was spoiled by awful camerawork, too many longshots, moving in and out all the time. The director must have St Vitus Dance.

Wonder if it's the same lad who does Strictly Come Dancing, that show bears the same hallmarks.
  • fitziifitzii Posts: 2,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    No one sings Bring him home like Colm Wilkinson. Pure magic. Alfie Boa went OTT with his performance.

I like Alfie's Valjean i have the 25th dvd and would like to see him in the west end, but Colm owns Valjean saw him in Dublin in Les Mis years ago he held that note at the end forever then as he did tonight..stunning:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek: How could you have preferred Take That over Les Mis?!

Music really IS subjective!

OK, this is only my opinion and no offence is intended.

TT are an aging boy band who perform pop songs and tonight they did exactly what it says on the tin. Les Mis, like Lloyd-Webber musicals may be well sung but they are intended for people who would never sit and listen to classical music or operas normally but a visit to one of these shows makes them feel as is they have experienced some 'culture'. The sort of people who own a copy of Nessun Dorma and keep it next to their Daniel O'Donnell albums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, this is only my opinion and no offence is intended.

TT are an aging boy band who perform pop songs and tonight they did exactly what it says on the tin. Les Mis, like Lloyd-Webber musicals may be well sung but they are intended for people who would never sit and listen to classical music or operas normally but a visit to one of these shows makes them feel as is they have experienced some 'culture'. The sort of people who own a copy of Nessun Dorma and keep it next to their Daniel O'Donnell albums.

Oh no, I respect your opinion :)

I'm a lover of musicals, classical music, opera and good old pop but I just thought Les Mis were absolutely fantastic. Maybe I wasn't really interested in the Take That performance because I had already watched them on Strictly and The X Factor. Very impressive on both shows. I really like The Flood but if I see another live performance of that soon, I'll switch off! I'm not a massive fan of SOS unfortunately.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I saw Andrew Lloyd Webber in the audience so he must've been extremely proud of both her and Danielle who came from his shows.

Plus he owns the theatre it was in!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, I respect your opinion :)

I'm a lover of musicals, classical music, opera and good old pop but I just thought Les Mis were absolutely fantastic. Maybe I wasn't really interested in the Take That performance because I had already watched them on Strictly and The X Factor. Very impressive on both shows. I really like The Flood but if I see another live performance of that soon, I'll switch off! I'm not a massive fan of SOS unfortunately.

Don't start me on X Factor!!!! :mad::D

I enjoy musicals as well but if you ever give Elaine Paiges radio show a listen it soon becomes obvious that there are a lot of rubbish stage performers too.
  • GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    There's far more talent in the west end than there is in the charts for sure. I think musical theatre often gets over looked.

Totally agree.

What annoys me is when musicals cast z list celebs that aren't up to the job which takes away a job from a talented/trained performer :mad:
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was nice to see michael crawford
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Switched it over when I saw the host.
  • JamieMacdonaldJamieMacdonald Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought McIntyre did well hosting, though I may be a bit biased. I'm a big fan.

It was an alright show, but Cheryl Tweedy ruined it with her miming.
  • RandyRandy Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think Cole/Tweedy was miming the bit I saw.. that's probably why she sounded crap. I thought the other acts including take that highlighted how bad the X Factor lot are. Good to see proper talent for a change.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sarahcs wrote: »
    Oh I love this version. Ray Davies' new album is fantastic.

I wish that Ray had sung Lola by himself. He was over-powered by that woman who tried to drown him and the guitar rifts out. She really ruined the song for me.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again I agree with you Mrs Spoon. Paloma Faith has such a powerful voice that Ray Davies was almost impossible to hear.

Regarding musical theatre, why do the judges on X-Factor imply that a singer would be better off in that branch of music, as though it were inferior to pop! :(