Forgotten TV persoanlities - Marti Caine

thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Going through some old books the other day, I came across Marti Caine's memoir A Cowards Chronicle.

I had a look online and there is next to nothing about her - no clips of her successful TV shows, nothing is on DVD :(

I wonder why she has been so forgotten when she was at one time very successful?

Comments

• myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea - I remember her, skinny lady, puffed up hair, hosting a talent show - was it New Faces or something like that? God knows what happened to her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    No idea - I remember her, skinny lady, puffed up hair, hosting a talent show - was it New Faces or something like that? God knows what happened to her.

She died a few years ago, of cancer I think. :(
  • Kim PKim P Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember her, didn't know she had died. I think she was discovered on a talent show as well.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »

She died in 1995.

She won New Faces in 1975, beating Victoria Wood, and went on to have her own show before going on to present New Faces in the 80's.

She was a regular face on TV throughout the 70's and 80's and had a sitcom on the BBC as well as releasing five albums.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's true but I remember my grandad telling me that she got her name because she was so skinny and had red hair so she looked like a tomato cane!
  • PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because she was so bloody awful, unfunny and untalented.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Not sure if it's true but I remember my grandad telling me that she got her name because she was so skinny and had red hair so she looked like a tomato cane!

:D I think I remember that from her book.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flutegirl wrote: »
    She died a few years ago, of cancer I think. :(

Yeah, i think you are right there!, i remember her suffering form cancer.......:(
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D I think I remember that from her book.

lol so it's true then, my grandad like most grandads used to make things up!:D
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »

She got her name from a gardening book, she didn't just make it up. She was originally Marta Cane, and it was mis-spelt so be became Marti Caine.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    "so ladies and gentlemen if you prefer act 1 ..... ......... press your buttons now!"

If anyone knows of HIH Regina Fong then they will remember Marti Caine
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "so ladies and gentlemen if you prefer act 1 ..... ......... press your buttons now!"

If anyone knows of HIH Regina Fong then they will remember Marti Caine

:D A google video search brings up Regina Fong.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    :D A google video search brings up Regina Fong.

Awwww that is a very funny,
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to love watching New Faces. The one thing I do remember is a few weeks after she died the Telegraph games section used her nameas the answer for the anagram and got in a lot of trouble for it - the clue was "I'm In a crate" ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to love watching New Faces. The one thing I do remember is a few weeks after she died the Telegraph games section used her nameas the answer for the anagram and got in a lot of trouble for it - the clue was "I'm In a crate" ;)

:eek:
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,208
    Forum Member
    Real name was Lynne Shepherd apparently http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marti_Caine
  • HeadancerHeadancer Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    5 mins of fame im afraid !
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mother loved Marti Caine. I can just about about remember her when she was on TV.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to enjoy Joker in the Pack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Headancer wrote: »

Not quite five minutes :rolleyes:
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Headancer wrote: »

Actually, she was pretty successful.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She could not compete with Faith Brown's massive bosoms.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She died quite a few years ago now; I remember when her cancer battle was documented in the media and she was still on TV until quite near to her eventual death.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I remember Marti Caine, and I used to enjoy watching her on TV.
    She helped pave the way for female comedians at a time when there were very few funny women on TV.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My old aunt used to work in M&S at Marble Arch and would see Marti Caine in shopping most weeks. She said she was a really nice lady who would take time to chat to people who recognised her, or wanted an autograph or something.