Come Fly With Me - BBC1 10pm

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvstudies wrote: »
    Thank you for the tasteless word. Because that sums up Lucas/Walliams' dressing up as Japanese schoolgirls to a tee - totally tasteless.

The word which sums up the Japanese schoolgirls is not "tasteless" but "unfunny"

I have no problem with them pretending to be of different races - they are supposed to be actors after all - as long as it is done with intelligence and wit. Acting a different race or nationality isn't that much different to acting as a different sex, sexuality or putting on another accent.

The only thing which offended me was that the BBC thought this was going to be funny.
  • CraigpughCraigpugh Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvstudies wrote: »
    Little Britain, now this.

Homophobic, racist, deeply prejudiced, hateful stuff.

How do they get away with it?

Is it because it's done 'ironically' and that their public schoolboy mates effectively run the BBC?

Pity the 'ironic' tag didn't work with Bernard Manning. His turds were funnier than these two.

My thoughts exactly, complain submitted to bbc online. awful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    It was just unfunny out of date rubbish. If your going to satirise a program it helps if it had been broadcast in recent memory of the main channels. (repeats on Satellite don't count).

It was just Carp and I can't believe the BBC paid for it.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Craigpugh wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly, complain submitted to bbc online. awful.

The BBC made much better programmes when it was run by public schoolboys rather than nowadays where it's run by women and homosexuals who in my view tend to have very poor taste in programming and are too politically correct.

God knows how rubbish it will become if people like you have your way.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    The BBC made much better programmes when it was run by public schoolboys rather than nowadays where it's run by women and homosexuals who in my view tend to have very poor taste in programming and are too politically correct..
    Unless this is a wind-up, you may be surprised to know that ever since the days of Lord Reith there have been homosexuals and women making programmes at the BBC. Of course in those days most of them had been to public schools, so I suppose that was all right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    The BBC made much better programmes when it was run by public schoolboys rather than nowadays where it's run by women and homosexuals who in my view tend to have very poor taste in programming and are too politically correct.

God knows how rubbish it will become if people like you have your way.

I can name four people the BBC waste their money on and shove them down our throats from all corners.

Catherine Tate - Not funny
    John Barrowman - Loud and obnoxious
    David Walliams - One voiced character in different costumes and the same scrunchy face
    Matt Lucas - Two faces (angry and fake smile) but just mocks people to make himself feel better.
    James Cordon - Useless unfunny boring pointless person

If the BBC got rid of these five it will be a far better place.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,945
    Forum Member
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    One of Speight's best ideas was in the character of Alf Garnett's home help, when Till Death Us Do Part was updated in the mid Eighties as In Sickness And In Health.
    By creating Winston, the black homosexual who initially rubbed Garnett up the wrong way, the writer highlighted the error of Garnett's ways in that the main character could be seen to intereact and develop a friendship with what would originally have been deemed to be Garnett's nemesis.
    Made for a hilarious situation, too.

I don't want to go off-topic, but oh how I miss Alf Garnett. Warren Mitchell had the ability to act (and react to his co-stars) in a way that made the topics of the writing very funny. In some cases hilarious. I think I'd even say the same about the way Jack Smethurst played Eddie Booth.

It might possibly be the case that Walliams and Lucas just don't have the acting skill to make the characters they're portraying that funny.
  • NeilPostNeilPost Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Of course that is funny....as a two minute one-off sketch. It ceases to be funny when a variation, which has no humour in itself, appears every week for however long the series lasted.

Yes, but as pointed out way above, the joke in LB with Andy is not that Andy really isn't disabled/handicapped, but that Lou doesn't know, and is played for a mug week after week.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    The word which sums up the Japanese schoolgirls is not "tasteless" but "unfunny"

I have no problem with them pretending to be of different races - they are supposed to be actors after all - as long as it is done with intelligence and wit. Acting a different race or nationality isn't that much different to acting as a different sex, sexuality or putting on another accent.

The only thing which offended me was that the BBC thought this was going to be funny.

Yes, but the Japanese angle was simply illustrating the bizzare alternate reality that seems to exist over there, for seemingly no reason people are taken to Japanese heart. Like the 14 year old saddo YouTube dancer from the Isle of Man who has hit the big time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/07/rebecca-flint-anime-beckii-cruel

Martin Clunes being 'Big in Japan', is almost credible after this.....:D
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheWayItIs wrote: »
    Hence, there is justification for portraying other races with the aid of extensive prosthetics and skin-tone make-up, so long as the specific aim is to achieve good comedy.

Maybe, but you do need to achieve your comedy objective before you can discuss whether it's justified.

taurus_67 wrote: »
    ............. I think I'd even say the same about the way Jack Smethurst played Eddie Booth.

While the writing of Jack Smethurst wasn't as subtle as with Alf Garnett, it was always clear that he was a narrow minded, prejudiced, charmless idiot. While his neighbour was the complete opposite. And had the most gorgeous wife, to boot.
    NeilPost wrote: »
    Yes, but as pointed out way above, the joke in LB with Andy is not that Andy really isn't disabled/handicapped, but that Lou doesn't know, and is played for a mug week after week.

And the point you're making is?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but the Japanese angle was simply illustrating the bizzare alternate reality that seems to exist over there, for seemingly no reason people are taken to Japanese heart. Like the 14 year old saddo YouTube dancer from the Isle of Man who has hit the big time.

And how is that different to talentless non-entities who become overnight stars in this country?
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    And how is that different to talentless non-entities who become overnight stars in this country?

Not hugely different,but Japanese culture seems to have need for some of this stuff - there are many washed up bands from the UK who have disappeared, et are doing very nicely in Japan.

The Isle of Man girl, and good luck to her, has built a career of the back of doing some dancing on YouTube,

Much of the UK stuff, is washed over by the likes of Cowell, ITV first......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/07/rebecca-flint-anime-beckii-cruel

Martin Clunes being 'Big in Japan', is almost credible after this.....:D

The girl is only big in Japan because of the age of sexual consent that occurs in Japan. She got a manager over there and therefore got that going. Nothing to do with "bizarre alternate reality" but different perspectives of sexual consent in different cultures.

So its not a bizarre alternate reality at all. Its laughing at a different culture. Are you seriously trying to say that Walliams and Lucas are social commentators? Are they commentating on society when they have the same catch phrase with Vikki Pollard? The woman who continuously pukes up at ethnic minorities?

You are trying to say that the extent of social commentary on these shows are qualified by repetition and/or aesthetic. That's just not right and is an inappropriate attempt to justify their mockery and ridicule of minorities, cultures and anything or anybody who is not posh and went to public school.

As for that Guardian article, the broadsheet has been lowering journalistic standards for years now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No the point is to ridicule people on welfare and carers by bringing them across as stupid and fraudsters. It's amplifying a stereotype for laughs.

To assume its just to say they are making a mug of somebody hides how they ridicule people and mock the vulnerable for their own benefit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    4th most popular show on iplayer :D:D

*sigh*
    Just because it is the fourth one down doesn't mean it is fourth most popular. :rolleyes:
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't add anything on the programme, I don't like them and don't watch them. I can add this though, if it hasn't been added before. http://enemiesofreason.co.uk/2010/12/27/christmas-time-travel-back-to-the-70s-with-matt-and-david/

I had seen the trailers and read the previews and nothing in either of them would make me change my mind on watching them.
    Forum Member
    Kablamo wrote: »
    The girl is only big in Japan because of the age of sexual consent that occurs in Japan. She got a manager over there and therefore got that going. Nothing to do with "bizarre alternate reality" but different perspectives of sexual consent in different cultures.

So its not a bizarre alternate reality at all. Its laughing at a different culture. Are you seriously trying to say that Walliams and Lucas are social commentators? Are they commentating on society when they have the same catch phrase with Vikki Pollard? The woman who continuously pukes up at ethnic minorities?

You are trying to say that the extent of social commentary on these shows are qualified by repetition and/or aesthetic. That's just not right and is an inappropriate attempt to justify their mockery and ridicule of minorities, cultures and anything or anybody who is not posh and went to public school.

As for that Guardian article, the broadsheet has been lowering journalistic standards for years now.

There is lots of social commentry that can be made looking in from outside into

- The UK - The BNP, Royalty, BBC, Scottish, English, welsh, irish differences etc
    - France - Casual disregard for the (EU) law - Famous Gallic Shrug, and Non !
    - USA - Root Beer eeww!!! Gun Culture. Bizzarre view of the UK being England, royalty, Scotland Yard, bowler hats, red buses and Mini's, RedNeck cowboys etc
    - Japan - Too much to list, as seen on dozen's of TV shows over the last 20 years.
    - Afghanistan - Denying young girls an education and basic human rights, yet being so so religious.
    - Haiti - Child Slavery
    - African Country - Mutilating Girls Genitals, in certain cultures, being able to build marvels like the Pyramids
    - Israel - lobbing boy's foreskin's off, and many other crackpot idea's, but being the only credible democracy in the middle east.
    - Moslem Countries - Strict religious rules on Alcohol, pork, women's rights, yet prostitution and drinking is rife
    - Christian culture - actually believing bread and wine turns into the body and blood of christ at Communion
    - Buddists - Despite being seemingly sane, and religion free, spoiling it with the Re-incarnation claptrap

etc ...............

where stuff that seems bizarre to the social commentator, but is the norm in the observed country, and accepted norm at that.

Jpan age of consent, yes, but as with most things it is not as simple as the single cause you are putting forth. 5 minutes on the internet will confirm that to you. It's still bizzare from a UK/Western perspective, and CFWM taking the piss out of 2 obsessive Japanese schoolgirls with Martin Clunes obsession is worth of comedy, unfortunateoly it just wasn't funny.

Beckii from the IoM. I'm sure not all, or even a majority of her fans, are Japanese paedo's cracking one off over her YouTube performances..... It's a bit like watching a surreal episode of LazyTown.... that's as corrupting as it gets.

...exactly like the many fans of Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana or Justin Beiber, 99% will just be impressionable kids of a similar age, gleefully hoovering up the merchandi$e from their Idol.

I don't see your point, as taking the piss out of silly foreigners is the staple of global comedy, and many a party anecdote.
    Forum Member
    No the point is to ridicule people on welfare and carers by bringing them across as stupid and fraudsters. It's amplifying a stereotype for laughs.

To assume its just to say they are making a mug of somebody hides how they ridicule people and mock the vulnerable for their own benefit.

There will be as many welfare scroungers, as business owners under or mis-declaring their income, tax liability etc. The welfare cheats are easier to find/target/mock. Perhaps a sketch on Bright House or the Pawn Shop alloow some new material - The BBC show a couple of years ago Skint! was an eye opener to this world.;

There was one council mother up my street, who claimed her free milk tokens for formula, yet breast-fed her children. she on-sold the formula for cash. A simple anecdote.

I'm sure there are a few businesses based in my area, they mis-declare on their self-assessment form. they are just a little harder to find, and perhaps duller comedy material compared to other stuff they might do like Ikea, Private School, dash to Costco etc....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is lots of social commentry that can be made looking in from outside into

- The UK - The BNP, Royalty, BBC, Scottish, English, welsh, irish differences etc
    - France - Casual disregard for the (EU) law - Famous Gallic Shrug, and Non !
    - USA - Root Beer eeww!!! Gun Culture. Bizzarre view of the UK being England, royalty, Scotland Yard, bowler hats, red buses and Mini's, RedNeck cowboys etc
    - Japan - Too much to list, as seen on dozen's of TV shows over the last 20 years.
    - Afghanistan - Denying young girls an education and basic human rights, yet being so so religious.
    - Haiti - Child Slavery
    - African Country - Mutilating Girls Genitals, in certain cultures, being able to build marvels like the Pyramids
    - Israel - lobbing boy's foreskin's off, and many other crackpot idea's, but being the only credible democracy in the middle east.
    - Moslem Countries - Strict religious rules on Alcohol, pork, women's rights, yet prostitution and drinking is rife
    - Christian culture - actually believing bread and wine turns into the body and blood of christ at Communion
    - Buddists - Despite being seemingly sane, and religion free, spoiling it with the Re-incarnation claptrap

etc ...............

where stuff that seems bizarre to the social commentator, but is the norm in the observed country, and accepted norm at that.

Jpan age of consent, yes, but as with most things it is not as simple as the single cause you are putting forth. 5 minutes on the internet will confirm that to you. It's still bizzare from a UK/Western perspective, and CFWM taking the piss out of 2 obsessive Japanese schoolgirls with Martin Clunes obsession is worth of comedy, unfortunateoly it just wasn't funny.

Beckii from the IoM. I'm sure not all, or even a majority of her fans, are Japanese paedo's cracking one off over her YouTube performances..... It's a bit like watching a surreal episode of LazyTown.... that's as corrupting as it gets.

...exactly like the many fans of Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana or Justin Beiber, 99% will just be impressionable kids of a similar age, gleefully hoovering up the merchandi$e from their Idol.

I don't see your point, as taking the piss out of silly foreigners is the staple of global comedy, and many a party anecdote.

Utterly and completely irrelevant to the topic at large. You have completely and extensively avoided the subject matter to talk about something that has no relevance at all.

They are mocking them. It was made clear to you in two posts, not merely one, but two that it is not social commentary because there is no social reference there other than ridicule.

The point is very clear and you can't gloss over it by saying everything is social commentary. That isn't merely insulting and ridiculous but utterly ignorant and abrasive of cultures. Social commentary is acceptable - I am sure that is clear. Ridicule and mockery where you dress up as somebody and mock their voice and their mannerisms is not. Do I have to spell out why that is the case or is it obvious?

In no situation is it acceptable to mock the way people are naturally. That is the basis of tolerance and acceptance of cultures. In summary, your attempt to relate mockery and ridicule of personality and behaviour of cultures to social commentary is just short of disgusting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will be as many welfare scroungers, as business owners under or mis-declaring their income, tax liability etc. The welfare cheats are easier to find/target/mock. Perhaps a sketch on Bright House or the Pawn Shop alloow some new material - The BBC show a couple of years ago Skint! was an eye opener to this world.;

There was one council mother up my street, who claimed her free milk tokens for formula, yet breast-fed her children. she on-sold the formula for cash. A simple anecdote.

I'm sure there are a few businesses based in my area, they mis-declare on their self-assessment form. they are just a little harder to find, and perhaps duller comedy material compared to other stuff they might do like Ikea, Private School, dash to Costco etc....

Again, you are overly amplifying a TV programme for what it is not.

A simple question - do you think we are all idiots or are your trying to debate something with no substance or reason?

We're well aware of the difference between mockery/ridicule and social commentary. Your assessment of it is insulting to people in general but surprisingly, this is what Walliams and Lucas do - insult anybody who is not able to defend themselves.

It's called a low blow unless you have a lock conscience and morals which appears to be the case for Walliams and Lucas.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shouted to my husband, who was making Turkey sandwiches in the kitchen at the time, 'There's going to be trouble with this 'ere programme'
    Forum Member
    Utterly and completely irrelevant to the topic at large. You have completely and extensively avoided the subject matter to talk about something that has no relevance at all.

They are mocking them. It was made clear to you in two posts, not merely one, but two that it is not social commentary because there is no social reference there other than ridicule.

The point is very clear and you can't gloss over it by saying everything is social commentary. That isn't merely insulting and ridiculous but utterly ignorant and abrasive of cultures. Social commentary is acceptable - I am sure that is clear. Ridicule and mockery where you dress up as somebody and mock their voice and their mannerisms is not. Do I have to spell out why that is the case or is it obvious?

In no situation is it acceptable to mock the way people are naturally. That is the basis of tolerance and acceptance of cultures. In summary, your attempt to relate mockery and ridicule of personality and behaviour of cultures to social commentary is just short of disgusting.

You must be a Comedy-o-phobe;)

Glad you aren't in charge of the world. It would be less fun than being in Iran.
    Forum Member
    Again, you are overly amplifying a TV programme for what it is not.

A simple question - do you think we are all idiots or are your trying to debate something with no substance or reason?

We're well aware of the difference between mockery/ridicule and social commentary. Your assessment of it is insulting to people in general but surprisingly, this is what Walliams and Lucas do - insult anybody who is not able to defend themselves.

It's called a low blow unless you have a lock conscience and morals which appears to be the case for Walliams and Lucas.

Considering I have made a number of posts, saying that CFWM was pretty piss poor...............

.............suggesting you get out into the shops before that VAT increase. the Arse Hat shop, has a clearance sale on.

Your ranting makes absolutely no sense at all.

Worryingly, seeing Paedo's everywhere (the Beckii Japan observation) is bigotry of the sort you claim to abhor.
  • AfterTodayAfterToday Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was not my cup of tea!
  • dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    There's a Precious Little appreciation page on Facebook. shes by far the best character in the show :D

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Precious-Little/140322862692255