Does Peter Barlow care about his son at all??

riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
Forum Member
✭✭
It's pretty obvious he doesn't care one jot about Leanne, given the despicable way he kept ignoring her calls while he frolicked with his new love, Carla the Irresistable, but the way he just didn't seem to care about the promise he made to his son about going to see Santa, and the comment he made about his Dad being able to take care of him when he decided to go on his binges was just sickening! I know him saying this was all a ploy to try and shock Leanne into dumping him, but just the mere thought of him being so non-chalant about how his decisions can affect the little lad is very telling in how selfish he really is!

That little lad has been through so much already in his little life, surely a caring father wouldn't be so quick to put him through more upheaval, but Peter is turning out to be one selfish and uncaring prat!

I know it's only a soap and not real, but he has reminded me of the fact that most alcoholics are just that - self serving, self absorbed and usually self pitying pathetic excuses for people!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I read his nonchalance as a self-defence thing. If Peter can detach himself from the situation somewhat, by making jokes about it (as callous as they seem) it won't hurt so much. I don't doubt he loves Simon, I think he was the one reason he couldn't go through with the break-up with Leanne. The football, the photos, Leanne commenting on her desire he had stability in his life - it was all about Simon.

I loved the scenes between Peter and Leanne, brilliant acting - as we've come to expect.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    HIs interest in Simon only really perked up when he found out that he came with a nice little nest egg.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that he does care, to a certain extent, when he is sober.

However, before there had been money to be gained, he had not taken much notice of his existence (I believe).
  • carla barlowcarla barlow Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    I read his nonchalance as a self-defence thing. If Peter can detach himself from the situation somewhat, by making jokes about it (as callous as they seem) it won't hurt so much. I don't doubt he loves Simon, I think he was the one reason he couldn't go through with the break-up with Leanne. The football, the photos, Leanne commenting on her desire he had stability in his life - it was all about Simon.

I loved the scenes between Peter and Leanne, brilliant acting - as we've come to expect.

I agree with this.

I do think in the beginning he struggled to bond with Simon, but at this point he does love his son and care about making him happy.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Damn well flamin' missed the second episode, I was going out so I put the 7.30 episode on record, forgot about the later one. I'm so mad that I could squash an orange with my fist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think when the whole affairs comes to light Simon will want to stay with Leanne over Peter and that should wake Peter up
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Damn well flamin' missed the second episode, I was going out so I put the 7.30 episode on record, forgot about the later one. I'm so mad that I could squash an orange with my fist.

Reading this post made me automatically think of the phrase "Oooh, I could crush a grape!" :D:D

Hope you can watch it on catch up later! It was actually very good for a change, best episode in a long while imo!
  • Scottish_girlScottish_girl Posts: 5,786
    Forum Member
    I think Peter is very selfish, he's not thinking of his son or his wife. But then Carla is selfish as well.
  • madaboutcarlamadaboutcarla Posts: 10,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Peter is very selfish, he's not thinking of his son or his wife. But then Carla is selfish as well.

Then they are all selfish. Apart from Simon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then they are all selfish. Apart from Simon.

How is Leanne being selfish in all of this exactly?
  • carla barlowcarla barlow Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »

If you're at home now - both episodes are being reshown - ITV2+1 at 1pm :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is Leanne being selfish in all of this exactly?

Not in this particular situation but she acted selfishly in her affair with Nick a year ago. So all three characters are guilty of being selfish.
  • IndegIndeg Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    HIs interest in Simon only really perked up when he found out that he came with a nice little nest egg.
    k9fan wrote: »
    However, before there had been money to be gained, he had not taken much notice of his existence (I believe).
    I think Peter's behaviour at the moment is very selfish, however these above statements are not true. Peter had no contact with Simon for the first five years of his life, but not by his choice - Lucy took the baby away and left no forwarding address and Peter was absolutely devastated. When Lucy died and left Simon to his care the reason he at first considered putting him up for adoption wasn't that he didn't care, it was because he was a broken man who was in denial about his drink problem and absolutely did not believe that he was capable of looking after the child, not least because his business in Portsmouth was failing and he had no support system there. The inheritance from Lucy changed things because it meant he could invest in the bookies in Weatherfield and start again afresh, allowed him to both provide for his son and to move closer to his family, so that they'd have a support system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in this particular situation but she acted selfishly in her affair with Nick a year ago. So all three characters are guilty of being selfish.

Well, she decided to put Simon and Peter first and dumped Nick in favour of keeping their family unit together, so I think selfish is something which cannot be attributed to Leanne! She has stuck by Peter through thick and thin, and still he puts himself before anyone! He even did it to Carla last night by telling her not to "clock watch" while he dumped Leanne, and then left her out to dry when he couldn't go through with it!

Finding it very hard to have sympathy for Carla in this though! She knew he was unavailable, same as Nick did with Leanne, so hard cheese if they feel hard done by!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, she decided to put Simon and Peter first and dumped Nick in favour of keeping their family unit together, so I think selfish is something which cannot be attributed to Leanne! She has stuck by Peter through thick and thin, and still he puts himself before anyone! He even did it to Carla last night by telling her not to "clock watch" while he dumped Leanne, and then left her out to dry when he couldn't go through with it!

Finding it very hard to have sympathy for Carla in this though! She knew he was unavailable, same as Nick did with Leanne, so hard cheese if they feel hard done by!

Leanne still had an affair though. Just because she choose Peter in the end, doesn't mean she is blameless.

If we look at the past 2 months, Carla has done no chasing of Peter what-so ever. He chased her, and she rejected his advances several times until he was sober and told her he loved her and wanted to be with her. I don't see how that is her fault.
  • callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only because Ken and Deirdre had found out and Ken walked in on them both.
    Forum Member
    Leanne has been selfish in the past with her affair with Nick- but Peter still went ahead and married her. He must have decided he could move on from it. And to be fair since they got married she has turned it around I think.

I'm just rewatching the episodes now- Peter is a selfish git who doesn't deserve Carla or Leanne. He can't even be honest with Lianne, if he really wants to be with Carla he should be honest with Lianne.

Carla I don't have any sympathy for, she's making another play for a married man who has a child involved. Personally I'm not sure why she wants to be with Peter so badly, if he can treat his wife with such disregard, does she think she will be exempt from that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only because Ken and Deirdre had found out and Ken walked in on them both.

While it's true they did find out, it wasn't the only reason she gave up Nick! She really did want to stay with Peter and Simon, Ken finding out was just the kick in the ass she needed to realise she didn't love Nick enough to leave them!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Leanne has been selfish in the past with her affair with Nick- but Peter still went ahead and married her. He must have decided he could move on from it. And to be fair since they got married she has turned it around I think.

I'm just rewatching the episodes now- Peter is a selfish git who doesn't deserve Carla or Leanne. He can't even be honest with Lianne, if he really wants to be with Carla he should be honest with Lianne.

Carla I don't have any sympathy for, she's making another play for a married man who has a child involved. Personally I'm not sure why she wants to be with Peter so badly, if he can treat his wife with such disregard, does she think she will be exempt from that?

I know Carla did the chasing before her rape. But since then, I think she accepted Peter didn't love her and has tried to move on. In the past two months she has done NO chasing and it was all Peter. So currently it isn't her who was making the play.
    Forum Member
    I know Carla did the chasing before her rape. But since then, I think she accepted Peter didn't love her and has tried to move on. In the past two months she has done NO chasing and it was all Peter. So currently it isn't her who was making the play.

She is quite happy for him to break up his family right before Christmas. She's not telling him to put Simon first and let him adjust to that and surely if they love each other and want to be together, Simons feelings should come into it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is quite happy for him to break up his family right before Christmas. She's not telling him to put Simon first and let him adjust to that and surely if they love each other and want to be together, Simons feelings should come into it?

My point exactly! And the fact that Peter was willing to go through with it just because it was what he wanted proves him to be a selfish, uncaring monster!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Course Simon's feelings should come into it. Peter said he would make sure Simon was settled didn't he at the beginning of the second ep. She gave him several opportunities to back out, rejecting his advances several times before giving in. Put yourself in Carla's shoes - she had had the worst two months of her life, been suicidal and been surrounded by people like Anne and Sally who are doubting her. She has the trial up and coming. And suddenly the man she is in love with admits he loves her and wants to be with her - it must be overwhelming.

Peter should have phoned Leanne telling her he was ok, and then told her the truth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My point exactly! And the fact that Peter was willing to go through with it just because it was what he wanted proves him to be a selfish, uncaring monster!

I don't think parents should stay together solely for the children's sake. Children are not stupid, they would pick up on the strains and cracks in the relationship.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Peter's like Ken - putting his love life before his responsibilities. I was watching Sharon Marshall on This Morning and she said that viewers all want Peter and Carla to get together! I couldn't believe it - I've always thought him and Leanne make a great couple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think parents should stay together solely for the children's sake. Children are not stupid, they would pick up on the strains and cracks in the relationship.

Nobody has said they should, but the children's feelings should definitely be considered first and foremost! And breaking up a family on the cusp of Christmas is definitely not putting a child's feelings before your own!