The Detectives

jet soundsjet sounds Posts: 197
Forum Member
Anyone watching it on bbc2 atm?....very interesting.

Comments

• Nellie1000Nellie1000 Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm watchimg. As you say very interesting. I take my hat off to detectives working these and child abuse cases.
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From promo for the show it looked like a complete ripoff of Ch4's 24 Hours In Police Custody, which had some stunning episodes (though some dull ones too).

This is a fair bit different though, and is focusing a lot on one of Savile's mates, Ray Trevert (?).
    Interesting.
  • jet soundsjet sounds Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    It must be so harrowing for that woman having to revisit those events from al those years ago.
    Forum Member
    I found that kind of haunting when they were removing the wallpaper to reveal that graffiti.
  • suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jet sounds wrote: »
    I found that kind of haunting when they were removing the wallpaper to reveal that graffiti.
    Very much so. Reminded me of the sort of scene you'd get in a Lynda la Plante detective story but this is all too real, especially when the detective said there were about 30 names and they didn't know most of them. You could hear the incredulity of the person on the other end of the phone. Shocking stuff
  • Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    found it all really interesting. when the arrest of Trevet was in the news I wondered how they prove something like that from so long ago. And now I've seen how and the sensitive work that goes into it.

As for the guy convicted of rape - the way his stupid lies unravelled like a ball of string was fascinating and disturbing to watch at the same time.

These ordinary detectives do extraordinary work IMO. will be watching the next two episodes.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    His name is Ray Teret.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really interesting programme imo.

I take my hat off to the officers working on cases like this. I found the woman being interviewed about historic abuse really harrowing, god knows how they manage to maintain their professional detachment.
  • maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was incredible that the names were there after all this time but well done to the police officer who decided it would be worthwhile peeling off the wallpaper. That evidence must have helped to convict Teret. It must be so difficult to find evidence with this sort of case when it happened several years ago. It's a pity Teret couldn't have been put away before now.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What on earth possessed that young guy to attack and rape that young girl. Was that photo they showed of him singing in front of a microphone taken from X Factor or BGT? He is a good looking guy with his whole life had of him and he chooses a despicable act like that. Defies belief.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Was that photo they showed of him singing in front of a microphone taken from X Factor or BGT? .

The photo was not the guy found guilty of rape appearing on BGT. An eyewitness had described the rapist as looking like this contestant. It was used as a quick photo fit.

The young lad in the photo had NO connection to the case.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The photo was not the guy found guilty of rape appearing on BGT. An eyewitness had described the rapist as looking like this contestant. It was used as a quick photo fit.

The young lad in the photo had NO connection to the case.

:)

Oh I see.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I thought you were refering to the Jasper Carrot/ Robert Powell series
    Forum Member
    Episode 2 tonight at 9.
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jet sounds wrote: »
    Episode 2 tonight at 9.

Yeah, I just noticed that, had no idea till a minute ago... Synopsis....

9:00pmThe Detectives >
    Interrogation Season 1 Episode 2 of 3
    Documentary centred on the three-day interrogation of Ray Teret, the Manchester DJ and friend of Jimmy Savile, who is accused of historical abuse against schoolgirls. It is the culmination of more than a year's work for detectives Rod and Carol as they finally reveal to Teret how many victims they have found and how much evidence they have against him. At the end of the questioning, it is down to the Crown Prosecution Service to decide if he will be charged or walk free. Meanwhile, the film also follows an online grooming investigation into Mark Cox, a 17-year-old accused of raping a 12-year-old
    (Subtitles)
    Rating: 9.4
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    I thought you were refering to the Jasper Carrot/ Robert Powell series
    I wish. I liked that show.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watching?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Anyone watching?

Yes. Is there no statute of limitation on rape?
    Forum Member
    Blimey!...that was some sweat underneath his armpits! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Is there no statute of limitation on rape?

Apparently not.

Why do you ask? Did you think there was or do you think there should be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently not.

Why do you ask?

I watch a lot of US dramas like Law & Order SVU and they are always frustrated as there is a statute of limitations in the US on sex crimes and rape. I just read online that the UK is the only country in Europe with none. I don't think there should be a statute of limitations on any major crime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch a lot of US dramas like Law & Order SVU and they are always frustrated as there is a statute of limitations in the US on sex crimes and rape. I just read online that the UK is the only country in Europe with none. I don't think there should be a statute of limitations on any major crime.

I agree - there does not seem to be any logical reason to have a statute of limitations.

I think this case shows how a very good case can be built, even after 40 years. Imagine being aware of all this witness testimony but not being able to bring this man to justice. That really would be a travesty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree - there does not seem to be any logical reason to have a statute of limitations.

I think this case shows how a very good case can be built, even after 40 years. Imagine being aware of all this witness testimony but not being able to bring this man to justice. That really would be a travesty.

That female detective seems to treat everyone as guilty before dealing each case more objectively.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does Terret keep walking around with a piece of paper between his teeth?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why does Terret keep walking around with a piece of paper between his teeth?

Probably to cover his guilty face and body language. Gosh that phone call was harrowing. It must be shocking to get a phone call like that from a victim while she is being attacked.