Have you ridden a motorbike?

ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
Forum Member
Or a moped. Motorised 2-wheeled transport.

Almost every man you'll meet has either had a bike or wanted/wants one.

An increasing number of females are using mopeds as shopper bikes.

Comments

• mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've ridden a scrambler, I was shit at it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to have a motorbike, but I'm utterly terrified to actually ever learn to ride.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    No, I went straight for a car when I turned 17 because I thought I may as well save up for driving lessons rather than spend on a moped when I was 16. I don't really like motorbikes anyway, because you can't carry as many people or items.

Does that make me a girl? :eek::(
  • martinamerlotmartinamerlot Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like a motorbike, but can't afford one. If I did own one, I could see myself being cliched and shaking my hair about in a suggestive manner after taking the crash helmet off. Sad but true. :D
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother's RD 250 when I was a teenager. My sis had motorbikes for years before buying a car. She was very good; I was not.
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    yes. motorbikes are cool. especially a 1982 suzuki gs850.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only ever been a pillion passenger
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like a motorbike, but can't afford one. If I did own one, I could see myself being cliched and shaking my hair about in a suggestive manner after taking the crash helmet off. Sad but true. :D

:D well you'd have to. I imagine its also very fun doing the hair shaking thing

*must go get helmet*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    I rode for over twenty years.
    Used to be an instructor with the RAC ACU.
    Loved it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, and did for a few years
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    only ever been a pillion passenger
    Pillion?
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep and I love it
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to have a Suzuki GSX600F - but had to get rid of it a few years back. Might look into getting another one when I get my new house.
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    Pillion?

The passenger on the back.

In the old days a Greaves 250 twin/ Bantam 125.

A 50cc scooter after we were married.
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    yes, i rode bikes for years during my twenties and early thirties. i gave them up after my second child was born, after i lost two friends in quick succession due to accidents.

they are truly thrilling to ride, especially big sports bikes which i rode on road and track. hand in hand with the excitement and freedom sadly, is vulnerability and high stakes risk.

the best motorised 2-wheeled transport i ever had was a go-ped, bought for me for my 30th. i used to use it to travel the mile or so to my local, and ride it back drunk in the early hours. :o:D a police car saw me once and turned around, fortunately i manged to fold the thing up quickly and scarper through a passage between two houses!
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just retired. Joining the ranks of the silver bikers.
  • Shirt SlicerShirt Slicer Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, fell off, got my leg caught in the chain, went to the bone and left a big dirty scar. Never again (...until I can afford one, then I plan to get an awesome bike and learn to ride it properly).
  • moleymoley Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    I do, and love it :) (female btw)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and it's the most wonderful feeling of utter freedom, it's elation beyond belief. Oh, and I'm a girlie too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are motorbikes much harder to learn to drive than cars?
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    KBBJ wrote: »
    My brother's RD 250 when I was a teenager. My sis had motorbikes for years before buying a car. She was very good; I was not.
    RD250 Yamaha, nice bikes in their time. They had a nice power band due to the reed valves used.

A few of my mates had this bike, one had the RD350 - others had Kawasaki and Suzuki.

I had the Suzuki GT250 but quickly moved up to the GT750 water-cooled, better known as the "kettle". I put expansion chamber exhausts, 1/2 faring and rear sets on it.

I've ridden many makes of bike....

Those that come to mind - Benelli 6, Kawasaki Z900 and 500, Yamaha FS1E (moped :o ), RD250, 350 and 400, Suzuki 250 trials bike.

Would love to have another bike - hurry up mid life crisis. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    Are motorbikes much harder to learn to drive than cars?

In my opinion they are harder to drive safely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came very close to owning a Yamaha RD LC 80 (stop sniggering at the back) but as my uncle owned the shop that was selling it and my mum lost her previous fiance to a motorcycle accident I had to do a course to show I could ride it, with my cousin (who was involved with the shop) spectating!

I made a right balls up of it, the damn thing fell over and I thought I could pick it up (wrong) and then when I kickstarted it, the kickstart smashed me in the shin and it bloody killed, but I did my best to hide the pain so I could get it!

I ended up losing my job so couldn't buy it in the end, which is probably for the best.

I think after all, the bus is better!
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Came off a moped in Cyprus 10 years ago when I worked outt here for a season and was lucky not to have killed myself!!! Wounds were actually mainly skin lacerations - I went to the Dr's the next day - on the back of someone's moped :o it was the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to get me there!!

Never been on one since!!