The A and AS Level Result Thread 2010

D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Either I'm not looking far enough, or I couldn't spot one of these. :o

I'm not the only one around these parts waiting for tomorrow, and I? In my case for A Level results - seeing whether I'll get into Uni. I'm taking- or rather took now, I guess:

- History
- Computing
- Maths
- General Studies (although Uni doesn't accept this)

I need 240 UCAS points (3 C's or anything else that equals or exceeds 240 UCAS points, ie. BCD or ACE) to get into Uni, which may seem easy to some, but everyone has different expectations and different realistic targets - so please don't bother bashing asking why I'm even trying to get in even though I'm not going to a top University.

The course I'm going for is Games Technology. :) History and Computing have gone OK grade wise so far, and its not unrealistic to say that a C isn't possible, both rely on coursework for part of the A Level and with a solid C in the actual exam I should get C overall in both, I hope!

Maths is a slightly different story, unfortunately. 6 units. The first unit in January '09 I got a C... from then on it went downwards. The next 2 units in June '09 I got U's and the same happened this past January '10 - with two U's again (along with a resit which was a U). :( It'd require an absolute miracle to get a C, and I know this - probably a D or E unfortunately.

The Uni says General Studies isn't taken into account, sadly, I don't know whether they would if the above 3 subjects don't equal CCC, but we'll see.

UCAS notes that Uni's could let you in even if you haven't met the required points... of course I hope that doesn't happen, but hopefully I am considered even if I do get CCD.

If I don't get let in - I'll simply resit the things that went wrong and reapply next year. I'm trying not to get worried about it - in March when the results came out, I was quite frankly a tearful mess in school on that day.... hopefully that doesn't happen tomorrow.

Sorry, that post came out longer than intended... just needed somewhere to post something like this, I'm sure there's plenty of you on here waiting patiently for results tomorrow - good luck to you guys as well. :)

Comments

• InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,764
    Forum Member
    Hi :)

I'm doing
    Law
    English
    Religious Studies.

Need BBC to get into uni. I'm quite scared and wish id done my exams properly when i was supposed to...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    I remember this time last year panicking all night because I was convinced I'd failed my A Levels and wouldn't get into uni. Good luck everyone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AS Levels! I'm comforting myself with the fact that mathematically it's impossible for me to fail 2 of my subjects due to my current UMS marks. Unfortunately, that means I've got 3 to worry about.
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Can't believe it's seven years ago since I got mine!

Good luck to all those getting them tomorrow. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    ^^^5 AS levels?? good luck!
    im geting my A2s tomorrow :S and honestly freaking out.
    i need ABC and got BCCD last year, droped one of the Cs and pulled BCD up to ABC (just about) in Jan but ofcourse the june modules are hardest and i cant afford to drop at all. Repeated some in june aswell though so hopefully if they go up i can afford to drop slightly in the harder ones.
    i dont want to do my second UCAS choice (BCC) so really dont know what i'll do, take a year out and repeat probably but that would be heart breaking when all my friends move on to uni.
    help

edit:when i say last year i mean at AS
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone! Hope you all get the results you need. What unis are you all hoping to go to? Or what are your plans after you get your results?
  • Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everybody awaiting results. My sister is waiting for hers too in the hope that she can take up her place to study Pharmacy.

I can quite honestly say that waiting for my A-level results was the most nerve-wracking period of my life so far... I found it much worse than waiting for my degree results. I think I became a lot more laid-back whilst at university.

The relief when I got the results I wanted was incredible. I hope you all get to feel that relief tomorrow too! :)
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone and I hope you all get the results you are hoping for :)
  • loz2601loz2601 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Ahhh hi other scared (I'm assuming!) people!

Doing A2 this year, need AAB for Geography at Southampton...I think it should be ok due to Jan modules/working bloody hard at AS but I'm really not sure :S

Doing Maths, Eng Lit, Geog and Economics so fingers crossed three of those are ok!

Also Games Technology sounds like the best course possibly invented ever.

Good luck to anybody getting results :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44,323
    Forum Member
    Congratulations! Your place at The University of Edinburgh (E56) to study Geography (L700) has been confirmed.

:D:D:D
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best Of Luck Everyone..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting my A-level results today, waiting for results in;

English Literature and Language
    Theology and Ethics
    Psychology

Have no idea of what grades I need because I'm not applying till Uni next year because I'm having a gap year.

Good luck everyone, try and remember that it's not the end of the world if you don't get the grades you won't, you have plenty of options but I hope everyone gets the results they want and deserve! :)
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The exams are getting easier, so you'll all be fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please take your quite frankly inconsiderate comments elsewhere, I'm guessing you're not sitting them so are clearly ignorant to the fact that exams this year for me personally and I'm sure everyone else have been very difficult and we've all worked very hard for them. There is absolutely no proof that exams are getting easier as course modules vary considerably throughout the years.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking of you lot, I don't envy you a bit. Just to lob in that, if you don't get the results you hope for, it's not the end of the world. It really isn't. Life's a long game, and we all start out in such a rush, - the trick is to know what you want, even if it takes a bit longer than expected to get there.

(I'm a game old bird, about to start my PhD, at the age of 43!)
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    llamajohn wrote: »
    Congratulations! Your place at The University of Edinburgh (E56) to study Geography (L700) has been confirmed.

Well done:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    llamajohn wrote: »

Well done :)

This is how I found out my results before picking them up. UCAS confirmed my university place was accepted before I went to the college to pick my results up so I knew that I'd at least got three Bs (got 2 As and a C).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    FFS i cant even get on track!
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member

That comment is unnecessary. Just because the success rate has increased, doesn't mean the papers are easy. Frankly people are just taking the achivements of students lightly.

Congrats for those who have been confirmed places, for those who haven't don't despair; just remember this is the start of your future, not the end! :)
  • emjemj Posts: 6,737
    Forum Member
    Confusing wrote: »
    FFS i cant even get on track!

Keep trying, it took me several attempts and at least 20 mins to get in! You'll get there! :)
  • tommyd1258tommyd1258 Posts: 6,923
    Forum Member
    Good luck everyone getting results today. I remember this time last year was a very emotional time for me, getting my A2 results, finding out which University I was going to. I hope everyone gets into where they wanted, I did, and it's been an absolute rollercoaster of a year with plenty of ups and plenty of downs along the way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck everyone waiting for A level results today. It is years since I got mine but I remember the nervousness like it was yesterday.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    good luck x :)
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to hate waiting on exam results.

Good luck to you all.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please take your quite frankly inconsiderate comments elsewhere, I'm guessing you're not sitting them so are clearly ignorant to the fact that exams this year for me personally and I'm sure everyone else have been very difficult and we've all worked very hard for them. There is absolutely no proof that exams are getting easier as course modules vary considerably throughout the years.
    That comment is unnecessary. Just because the success rate has increased, doesn't mean the papers are easy. Frankly people are just taking the achivements of students lightly.

Heh heh, sorry! My comment was just a joke and I guess that doesn't come across in the written word. Should have included a tongue-out smiley or something.:p

The flipside of the coin to the argument that exams are getting easier is that it's way harder to get into university these days. I don't envy any of you!

Good luck to all getting results today.:)