Anybody else not find Catherine Tate funny?

RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After seeing her in Gulliver's Travels last night, I really fail to see why this woman is so funny.

As a person, she seems lovely (from what I've seen on chat shows etc).

But when it comes to comedy acting and her characters; I truly find her atrocious. I've tried so hard to like her and find her funny, but I just can't do it. :(

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tell you who finds The Tater hilarious.......Catherine Tate does! She’s her own hysterical audience!
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    for me most modern comedians are not funny...ricky gervais and the little britain lot to name a few and the same with catherine tate
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like her as an actress, her doing 'comedy' does nothing for me.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    for me most modern comedians are not funny...ricky gervais and the little britain lot to name a few and the same with catherine tate

I think she has more talent that those people (not that is saying much) but she is better as an actor than comedian / comedy actor. She probably could be good as a comedy actress if she had some good material.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even vaguely amusing.

And not much of an actor either.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was just me that never really "got" her.

Some of my friends thinks she's hysterically funny. I just dont see it myself.
  • angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not on tv there not. Most modern comedians are far better live like everything on television their censored and dumbed down and that's why comedy on television is so bad now.
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was just me that never really "got" her.

Some of my friends thinks she's hysterically funny. I just dont see it myself.

Same here, my friends find her funny, and they still quote her, years after her show aired, but I just don't see it.

However I loved her in Doctor Who, and they didn't like her in it. Strange.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    shes terrible but miles better than gina yashere
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here, my friends find her funny, and they still quote her, years after her show aired, but I just don't see it.

She was actually very good in Doctor Who.Her comedy characters are a bit hit and miss.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was horrified when I heard she was going to be in Doctor Who, because I love it, and I've always found her comedy particularly unfunny and her comedy persona very irritating. But I absolutely loved her in DW, and in all the stuff I saw her in as herself when she was promoting DW. So I thought I'd give her comedy another go, and nope, still can't stand it.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kninemark2 wrote: »

The very faintest of faint praise.
  • Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's understandable that some people might not get her humour because humour is subjective. I personally found the Catherine Tate show funny, though.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »

Ricky Gervais :eek: gets on my tits. Most of today's so-called 'comedians' are not remotely funny.
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I was horrified when I heard she was going to be in Doctor Who, because I love it, and I've always found her comedy particularly unfunny and her comedy persona very irritating. But I absolutely loved her in DW, and in all the stuff I saw her in as herself when she was promoting DW. So I thought I'd give her comedy another go, and nope, still can't stand it.

^ This. Exactly. ^
  • CanonMan75CanonMan75 Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    She's not funny and not much to look at. Ginger hair and a nice rack, though :D
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who didn't?:confused:

I've never found her funny, but as others have said, she was brilliant in Doctor Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never found her amusing in the slightest.
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is good at emersing herself into different types of everyday people. I don't find her hilarious, but when it comes to impersonations, she gets it completely right with the mannerisms and the quirks. I don't mind her.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kninemark2 wrote: »

So is my arthritic dog.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angustay wrote: »
    Not on tv there not. Most modern comedians are far better live like everything on television their censored and dumbed down and that's why comedy on television is so bad now.

Perhaps a comment on the "comedians" rather than they system if they cannot change their material to suit the audience. A friend told me once of seeing a well known "family entertainer" comedian doing a live show which was completely different and very adult though I don't think he descended into relying on four letter expletives like many do now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky Gervais :eek: gets on my tits. Most of today's so-called 'comedians' are not remotely funny.

He was completely discredited when he was unable to fill in for a few minutes at the live concert some years ago. I don't think I have seen a "comedian" who was so lost for words before.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    He was completely discredited when he was unable to fill in for a few minutes at the live concert some years ago. I don't think I have seen a "comedian" who was so lost for words before.

Yes,that was very embarrassing : a so called comedy genius who was incapable of improvising for three or four minutes.I do like him but maybe he relies totally on scripted material.
  • KarlyKarly Posts: 10,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is neither the best nor the worst of modern comedians, but her timing was way off when she tried to do the "finishing the sentence" sketch with Ronnie Corbett - she came in far too quickly each time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't find her funny either -- so, thank goodness for this thread! :)