Les Miserables

Comments

• maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Watched it again today. Gets a bit lost in the middle around when he sings Suddenly but the rest is brilliant. The songs are going around in my head all the time. So many great tunes.

You're right, there are so many great songs in the film (and the musical, in general). My favourites are 'I Dreamed A Dream' and 'On My Own' but I love 'Do You Hear The People Sing' and 'One Day More'. The 'Epilogue' is lovely too.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    You're right, there are so many great songs in the film (and the musical, in general). My favourites are 'I Dreamed A Dream' and 'On My Own' but I love 'Do You Hear The People Sing' and 'One Day More'. The 'Epilogue' is lovely too.

I've had Do You Hear The People Sing in my head all day just from Les Mis talk! I haven't even got my DVD yet.

Did any of you see the St Pancras Flashmob, or better still, take part yesterday? If I wasn't working yesterday I'd have considered going. I've always wanted to take part in a flash mob!
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    I bought the DVD and watched it this afternoon. To say that the tears were jumping out of my eyes would be a total understatement. A wonderful and moving film.
    Forum Member
    Hopefully I'll be coming home from work to find a delivery from Sainsburys Entertainment :D

I wanna watch it now! I'm so impatient. :o

EDIT: Went into Sainsburys yesterday and there were no life-size cutouts. I expected there to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »

Did any of you see the St Pancras Flashmob, or better still, take part yesterday? If I wasn't working yesterday I'd have considered going. I've always wanted to take part in a flash mob!

:) Oh, that was fabulous.

There's no doubt that Cameron Mackintosh is in a league of his own when it comes to promotion.

My DVD arrived Monday morning, but I promised I wouldn't watch it on the big telly ( have hadit on my laptop for ages :p ) until Saturday night.

I could have loaned you my copy mimi. And no life sized cut outs? Damn, there goes my hopes of having Hugh Jackman or Eddie Redmayne or, my new crush Aaron Tveit, at the end of my bed. :(
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine came today :D Don't know if I'll have time to squeeze a viewing in tonight, but we are having a Les Mis night round a friend's house on Saturday!
    tally wrote: »
    I could have loaned you my copy mimi. And no life sized cut outs? Damn, there goes my hopes of having Hugh Jackman or Eddie Redmayne or, my new crush Aaron Tveit, at the end of my bed. :(

Oh yes :D
    Forum Member
    Still no DVD! :mad::cry:
  • humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would encourage anyone who loves Les Mis to get the Complete Symphonic Recording. It has the complete performance and in my view it sounds much better than the current version of the musical. In 1997 they tried to revamp the show with new orchestrations and some edits. Then in 2001 they cut the show down by 14 minutes to get it under 3 hours. I am not a huge fan of these changes and the 1987-1997 version of the musicial is the definative version for me. The only thing that might be off putting for some is that it has a very 80's sound.

I like the song from the CSR. The electric guitar in the background is really cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A173fpFsgdQ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bonus DVD in the Sainsbury's one doesn't have The Young Revolutionaries extra on it (not sure what else it is missing?) so I'm glad I got the freebie from The Mail. The ones it does have are good though.
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    The bonus DVD in the Sainsbury's one doesn't have The Young Revolutionaries extra on it (not sure what else it is missing?) so I'm glad I got the freebie from The Mail. The ones it does have are good though.

Ahh right :( It didn't arrive yesterday. Surely it has to arrive today! I've been waiting since Monday otherwise

I have today off. Normally I'm working on Saturdays but I booked it off. My first saturday off in a year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have my sainsbury's copy, I've not yet played it so don't know what it has for sure. It definitely has 2 discs though if that's any consolation :p
    Forum Member
    I have my sainsbury's copy, I've not yet played it so don't know what it has for sure. It definitely has 2 discs though if that's any consolation :p

Good :D
    Forum Member
    I thought that it might have been delivered yesterday, but I'm still waiting. I hope it arrives tomorrow otherwise I'll be emailing them. :(
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that it might have been delivered yesterday, but I'm still waiting. I hope it arrives tomorrow otherwise I'll be emailing them. :(

Can you not just cancel the online order and go and buy it from a Sainsburys store?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you not just cancel the online order and go and buy it from a Sainsburys store?

I think it's already been dispatched.

I ordered mine last Sunday and got it Friday. So 5 days wait.
    Forum Member
    I think it's already been dispatched.

I ordered mine last Sunday and got it Friday. So 5 days wait.

Yeah it's been dispatched.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it's been dispatched.

If it doesn't arrive tomorrow then contact them. Like I said, mine arrived Friday (Don't think it was actually dispatched until Tue or Wed, can't remember now).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our Les Mis night on Saturday went well, even if it was interrupted a few times by a 3 month old baby girl who didn't want to sleep! We converted two friends who'd never seen it before to Les Mis fans too :D
    Forum Member
    Sent an email yesterday saying that I want a full refund ad it didnt arrive and thought it might have been stolen or lost but it arrived today. Typical! I don't know if they've received my email though
    Forum Member
    I'm watching my copy of the film in bed. It feels like so long since I saw it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love love love 'Epilogue'. Fantine's lines are beautiful.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love love love 'Epilogue'. Fantine's lines are beautiful.

That's one of the most sensible changes from the stage show - on stage, Eponine appears and sings half of the Epilogue, but it never really made much sense as she didn't ever have much interaction with Valjean.

There is a lovely harmony with Eponine and Fantine both singing 'Take my hand, I'll lead you to salvation. Take my love for love is everlasting..' but it makes much more sense to just have Fantine singing it!
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    That's one of the most sensible changes from the stage show - on stage, Eponine appears and sings half of the Epilogue, but it never really made much sense as she didn't ever have much interaction with Valjean.

There is a lovely harmony with Eponine and Fantine both singing 'Take my hand, I'll lead you to salvation. Take my love for love is everlasting..' but it makes much more sense to just have Fantine singing it!

I cry every time I see that scene, doesn't matter if it's on stage or on dvd, I've been a Les Mis fan for years but it still gets me.

I got my DVD last week and was going to watch it at the weekend but I've decided to hold out to this weekend when I've got my sister coming over so we can make a musical night of it :D
  • LMLM Posts: 63,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The epilogue to Les Miz in general is just beautiful. It's perhaps one of the best endings ever.
  • humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm I like "Epilogue" but it does verge on being over sentimental and a tad unreal at times. I think Cosette and Marius don't add much to the scene although I appreciate it is faithful to the book. I should add most of the non musical movie version don't have the scene at all and end with Javert's suicide.