Options

Bands critically acclaimed at the time but less respected or forgotten now

KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
Forum Member
✭✭✭
(Feel free to skip to the highlighted section at the end if you don't find my longwinded example of interest!)

I won't say "anyone remember Soul II Soul", because anyone around at the time will at least recognise the name, and probably remember at least one of their hits. Yet, they don't seem to have had much legacy beyond that.

I say this because they got a lot of positive critical attention at the time for moving the soul genre forwards in a fresh manner, more hip-hop influenced and reflecting a distinctive British-originated (*) style that didn't simply mimic the late-80s American soul sound.

One might have expected them to become one of those "important" bands whose influence everyone talks about years later.

Yet, since their heyday I'd already heard at least one person say that their music hadn't dated all that well. Having come across a couple of their tracks on a compilation, I was curious to note that "Rate Your Music's" reviews only gave (e.g.) "Club Classics Vol. 1" a 3.38 rating (i.e. decent, but not outstanding).

"Resist_retreat" notably says there, "To say that this album has fallen into disrepute may be stretching things a bit, but its rating here is astonishingly low for a record that, on release, was pretty much at the cutting edge."

Did they fail to meet the promise that many saw in them? Did later acts simply overshadow them and make their work seem less interesting in hindsight? Did they fizzle out when they got other singers in and started being seen as "Jazzy B and some other people"?

It got me thinking. Can anyone else think of any bands that were lauded or considered important at the time yet, years later, aren't considered as "landmark" nor as well-remembered as you might have expected?

(*) Read as "typical London-centric media's view of "Britishness" " (rolls eyes), but that's beside the point here

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ms.Dynamite was very much the next big thing back in 2002 - she had 2 Top 10 singles, glowing reviews from critics, won the Mercury Music Prize and got herself 2 BRIT awards. Yet her second album didn't even make the top 40 and she has since been pretty much forgotten by both the mainstream and the critics - even her acclaimed debut is absent from the vast majority of 'Best Albums of the 00s' lists.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Little Boots was considered to be the next big thing back in 2009 but her second album didn't do so well and many people seem to see her as a one hit wonder.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speech Debelle - Mercury Prize winner 2009. Who the **** even is she
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little Boots was considered to be the next big thing back in 2009 but her second album didn't do so well and many people seem to see her as a one hit wonder.

Ahh the issue there was La Roux and a girl called Florence.

LB was to be the next bif thing La Roux came out next big thing then the lesser on that pallet of Florence seemingly out of nowhere usurped them both. The best beat them seemingly out of nowehere :p
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Ahh the issue there was La Roux and a girl called Florence.

LB was to be the next bif thing La Roux came out next big thing then the lesser on that pallet of Florence seemingly out of nowhere usurped them both. The best beat them seemingly out of nowehere :p

I remember all the hype about La Roux and I thought she was dreadful as she sounded like a set of car tyres being dragged up the M6 on her first album :p I must admit I thought her new album was quite good and she didn't sound so bad on it :blush: Little Boots was also the winner of the BBC Sound of 2009 poll IIRC or was it Florence or La Roux? I really can't remember :p
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Egg and Hatfield and the North. Never really made it.
  • Options
    KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the examples- but, to be clear, I wasn't talking about bands or artists that were hyped as "the next big thing" who ended up going nowhere.

What I meant was bands that *were* already considered important, respected and influential at the time, where that perception didn't translate into the expected long-term legacy.

The Stone Roses (like them or not) were a successful and influential band even in their day (i.e. late-80s/early-90s), and almost 25 years later people- including other artists- are still talking about the influence they had and how great their debut album was. It's that long-term legacy I'm talking about.

Soul II Soul were also both commercially and critically successful in their day, but despite the plaudits they got for their innovative style and perceived importance at the time, they haven't been as well-remembered nor considered as influential as one might have expected over the long term.

Imagine if, 25 years on, instead of being a part of the cultural pantheon, The Stone Roses' music- raved about in its day- was now seen as "of its time", not of that much importance to (or influence on) today's bands or listeners, whose hits songs were remembered as decent songs or minor nostalgia fodder, but not of any more importance than that, just another band with a string of hits a quarter century ago.

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.
  • Options
    Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    In that case Suede and Cast come to mind - Suede for being hugely hyped and acclaimed back in 1993 as the poster faces of a new British rock scene but today it's Oasis and Blur who get all the praise instead. Suede seem to be remembered more for their later Coming Up era tracks ('Trash', 'Beautiful Ones' etc) rather than the early Animal Nitrate era material today.

Cast had a ton of top-10 hits throughout the same decade, none of which seem played or remembered at all today. They just seemed to be popular for sounding the same as everyone else at the time instead of actually being groundbreaking.
  • Options
    k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    In that case Suede and Cast come to mind - Suede for being hugely hyped and acclaimed back in 1993 as the poster faces of a new British rock scene but today it's Oasis and Blur who get all the praise instead. Suede seem to be remembered more for their later Coming Up era tracks ('Trash', 'Beautiful Ones' etc) rather than the early Animal Nitrate era material today.

Cast had a ton of top-10 hits throughout the same decade, none of which seem played or remembered at all today. They just seemed to be popular for sounding the same as everyone else at the time instead of actually being groundbreaking.

You can add Shed Seven to that list as well then. Maybe not in terms of critical acclaim but certainly in terms of commercial sales.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    At one point Razorlight were pretty big. Always heard their songs on the radio.
    Whatever happened to them? I quite liked them - Golden Touch was a great pop song.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The British grunge band Bush got a lot of good mentions in the press etc in the early 90s mainly because they were more successful in the US than in the UK.

And maybe Therapy? from Northern Ireland who had great commercial and some critical success in about 1993-95 but haven't matched it since.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The M People. I remember they were everywhere in the mid 1990s but seemed to fade away without a trace apart from Heather Small popping up somewhere every so often. What happened?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Egg and Hatfield and the North. Never really made it.

I loved them, though.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doves did some great stuff but seem to have faded.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »

Currently releasing solo/duo albums. Hope they reform later.
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always felt that the Sensational Alex Harvey Band never quite got the recognition they deserve. They influenced many bands and musicians such as AC/DC, Def Leppard, The Cure, Nick Cave, Kiss and more!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I beg to differ in the case of Suede. They still have a huge following and most of their material still receives regular airplay.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I haven't forgotten My Vitriol because their debut 'Finelines' is one of my favourite albums...but with no proper follow-up in the 13 years since my guess is a lot of people have.
    Astoria (last headline show) review:
    "My Vitriol are capable of reaching places only Nirvana, the Manics and Radiohead have reached before. Big words we know, but at their best they attain a cinematic, tremolo-bending enormity that catches you right there. That's why we'll never have anything better to do on a Friday night when My Vitriol are in town." NME

http://www.myvitriol.com/quotes.html
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »

Saw them live and have their first 4 albums. Brilliant band who probably peaked too early, but I look forward to their solo efforts.
  • Options
    MiHMiH Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JJ72. Liked by pretty much all the critics, hyped as the next big thing, a few successful singles, two critically acclaimed albums, the foundations laid for a long career. Then it just stopped, now it's like "who?

For those in that camp, Irish band along the same lines as earlier Muse.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, going from the same website source (RateYourMusic), how about Mariah Carey?

(Hopefully I won't be shot down for that one!)

Honestly, I don't know much about her. I think that in itself is kinda noteworthy, because she seems (at least in the US) to have been really, really on top of her game in the 90s, everything she touched turned to gold, etc etc.

What's her legacy? Not a single one of her albums rates more than 3.18 (out of 5 I'm assuming?) on that website http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/mariah_carey
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great post Kodaz, I remember around that time Soul to Soul were massive. And their sound was everywhere. The future of British soul was so bright: Caron Wheeler, Mica Paris, Kym Mazelle (American but she felt like one of our own), Omar, Brand New Heavies/Acid Jazz etc. And it just died. :(

Would people include Terence Trent Derby? He was everywhere at one point and a real talent but seemed to disappear.
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blink 182, Sum 41 and Good Charlotte were all quite successful when I was growing up and these now seem to be forgotten.
  • Options
    cardiff boyocardiff boyo Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of British bands I would say The Hoosiers, The Feeling and Scouting for Girls
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Franz Ferdinand and The Strokes. I know both can still score top 10 albums, but the early promise that surrounded them faded pretty quickly.

Thirteen Senses - I remember some critics hyped them as a band who would rival Coldplay
    White Lies - There was quite a bit of buzz about them back in 2009 but it quickly petered out
    The Coral
    Kula Shaker
    Starsailor
    Feeder
    The Sundays
    Heart - They lost a lot of their acclaim and respect when they entered their Capitol phase in the mid-1980s