Options

Landline and Broadband?

zak2012zak2012 Posts: 331
Forum Member
Hi,how can i get cheapest Landline and Broadband ?im looking for £10 a month for both ? thanks

Comments

• Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want cheap and nasty then you're going to have to look at the likes of TalkTalk. But you get what you pay for - and good luck if it were to break or not work properly from the beginning.
  • Options
    onephatonephat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at sse (the energy company) free broadband for 2 years just line rental to pay
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    If you want cheap and nasty then you're going to have to look at the likes of TalkTalk. But you get what you pay for - and good luck if it were to break or not work properly from the beginning.

I've not had a problem with TT, nor has my son, daughter and many friends who use them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I've not had a problem with TT, nor has my son, daughter and many friends who use them.

Good for you, but they aren't widely criticised for no reason, neither do they routinely appear at the bottom of customer satisfaction surveys just out of bad luck.

The good ISPs aren't cheap.
  • Options
    victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's true that you do get what you pay for especially when it comes to customer service. However the majority of installs are relatively problem free with all ISP's so it's only when a problem arises that that applies. If you look on any of the big ISP customer forums you will see complaints but they are the ones who actually have problems and turn to the forums to either vent their spleen or get help.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    victorslot wrote: »
    It's true that you do get what you pay for especially when it comes to customer service. However the majority of installs are relatively problem free with all ISP's so it's only when a problem arises that that applies. If you look on any of the big ISP customer forums you will see complaints but they are the ones who actually have problems and turn to the forums to either vent their spleen or get help.

Plusnet customer service is pretty good for the price I pay. They got the problem i had sorted out pretty quick.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Unless I've got this wrong, isn't it a big ask. Don't most phone lines start from around £15 per month for the line as a minimum starting point.

If there are any cheaper then I'd be interested as I'd love to ditch BT who have to be the worst provider.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you, but they aren't widely criticised for no reason, neither do they routinely appear at the bottom of customer satisfaction surveys just out of bad luck.

The good ISPs aren't cheap.

Its nothing special in my case, millions of other TT customers have no problems either, but WUM's like you drone on whenevever TT is mentioned...sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its nothing special in my case, millions of other TT customers have no problems either, but WUM's like you drone on whenevever TT is mentioned...sad.

I'm simply stating the facts. The more you pay, the better the service. That's a fact.

I won't deny that TalkTalk do have happy customers, but they are typically people who don't know better (and assume the internet is meant to be unreliable) or people who genuinely are happy (because it's cheap), probably because they haven't yet had a problem or had to talk to them. As long as it costs 10 pence a month and loads Facebook eventually, it'll do

It's like the people who have a smartphone on O2 and assume that the internet on it is meant to be slow, not knowing that moving networks would make things so much better for them.

I fail to see how I am a WUM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm simply stating the facts. The more you pay, the better the service. That's a fact.

I won't deny that TalkTalk do have happy customers, but they are typically people who don't know better (and assume the internet is meant to be unreliable) or people who genuinely are happy (because it's cheap), probably because they haven't yet had a problem or had to talk to them. As long as it costs 10 pence a month and loads Facebook eventually, it'll do

It's like the people who have a smartphone on O2 and assume that the internet on it is meant to be slow, not knowing that moving networks would make things so much better for them.

I fail to see how I am a WUM.

But TT internet is reliable, BT and EE have reliability issues too. I was with BT and moved when they failed repeatedly to fix problems. Cost in my case matters not, financially I am pretty well fixed; I pay more for broadband on Gran Canary even though I'm only there a few months of the year so don't assume cost is the only attraction for TT customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But TT internet is reliable, BT and EE have reliability issues too. I was with BT and moved when they failed repeatedly to fix problems. Cost in my case matters not, financially I am pretty well fixed; I pay more for broadband on Gran Canary even though I'm only there a few months of the year so don't assume cost is the only attraction for TT customers.

I've read about numerous reliability issues with TT - not on individual lines but larger issues. I don't see the point in comparing TT with EE or BT - all three are as bad as each other, and all are rubbish compared to higher quality ISPs. Even the difference between BT and Plusnet (owned by BT) is huge.

Nice humblebrag there, but not relevant to the argument. You may not care about cost (although you probably do, hence you're with TalkTalk), but a lot of people do. They'll go for the cheapest and nastiest rubbish - hence TalkTalk is one of the most popular ISPs. God knows why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read about numerous reliability issues with TT - not on individual lines but larger issues. I don't see the point in comparing TT with EE or BT - all three are as bad as each other, and all are rubbish compared to higher quality ISPs. Even the difference between BT and Plusnet (owned by BT) is huge.

Nice humblebrag there, but not relevant to the argument. You may not care about cost (although you probably do, hence you're with TalkTalk), but a lot of people do. They'll go for the cheapest and nastiest rubbish - hence TalkTalk is one of the most popular ISPs. God knows why.

I don't see the point in comparing TT with EE or BT
    go and google

Nice humblebrag there

Not at all, just saying how it is for many, do you work ? I've an army pension, nursing pension and a property portfolio which provides a very very health income, I can use who I want; you won't earn my income, I doubt more than a handful of members here do or could get close to matching it so think hard on how you talk about others.

They'll go for the cheapest and nastiest rubbish

How insulting to your fellow man, your not only a WUM but rude too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see the point in comparing TT with EE or BT
    go and google

A 5 second google confirms what I've been saying. Examples such as http://www.choose.net/media/guide/faqs/best-broadband-providers-customer-service.html do well to prove the point. Zen first, TalkTalk near bottom with EE and BT (and AOL which is basically TalkTalk)

"As of December 2014, according to Ofcom's complaints figures, TalkTalk are no longer the most complained about broadband provider in the UK." Such improvement.

Or http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php - the top ISPs being the ones who charge a bit more than the bare minimum for their services (and isn't it surprising how none of the largest ISPs appear there)
    Not at all, just saying how it is for many, do you work ? I've an army pension, nursing pension and a property portfolio which provides a very very health income, I can use who I want; you won't earn my income, I doubt more than a handful of members here do or could get close to matching it so think hard on how you talk about others.

See, you are banging your chest and going on about your income again - when it simply isn't relevant to the discussion. It won't change the fact that TT are bottom of the pile in customer satisfaction and that cheapskates flock to cheap ISPs like TalkTalk. You seem to enjoy talking about yourself. Shame it isn't necessary.
    How insulting to your fellow man, your not only a WUM but rude too.

Rude for stating the facts - that TT are rubbish?
  • Options
    fliqueflique Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE have rubbish customer service and I spent the last three evenings trying to sort out why I have a download speed of 0.25. I wish I could afford the likes of Zen but I can't. I am a pensioner and although iI have a small works pension too I still have to be careful. I don't do a lot of downloading but need enough speed not to wait in for ages at the moment it is worse than the old days on dial up.

I now have to phone them yet again in the morning to try and resolve the problem. I haverequested my MAC code so i will be able to get things started. They have one more chance in the morning then I am off to TT, my son has been with them years without a problem. I may jump from the frying pan into the fire but what celse is there to do. I am out of contract with EE so no problem there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TT have got a bad name because they could not cope when they first started up and also because of their customer service, but they have improved by what I have seen. Paying more do not always get you a better service, I know someone who was with a ISP that was suppose to be one of the better ones and yet the customer service was awful and they had to leave before the contract was out because to be honest noone was interested in their problem.
    So this person decided to go with Sky, everything was sorted out there and then, decent connection considering where they are, since the exchange is a fair distance.

One thing to remember is that a lot of these higher price services, still rely on the same network as the cheaper ones, a lot uses Talk Talk network.

I am happy with Plusnet now, having a broken crimp at the cabinet do not help getting decent broadband, but it was fixed the next day. Ok I still had a problem the next day with speed, but again I had BTOR come up, even if I did not ask for them.
    While I have lost 3-4Mb/s from my overall speed, it is reliable and still more than fast enough for what I want.

Humblebrag? I like it, I am going to use that.

People with money seems not to spend it so much and a lot of them goes for the cheapest they can, unless they ear millions then it is a different thing.

I know a few people with money and they try and buy the cheapest. Unless it comes down to a tax fiddle, when they are told to spend money. Not saying that Neo is involved in any tax fiddle.

Talk Talk was very cheap when it first started, which is why they had problems, pay line rental and a for a package of international calls and get broadband free if I remember rightly. It was a good deal then, and their ADSL is still pretty cheap, compared to some others, but their Fibre is not cheap these days, it is more expensive than Plusnet, about on par I think with Sky, cheaper than BT ( most are) and I think EE is slightly cheaper than TT. So they are not the cheap service they used to be.

As for your higher price services, do you really see much difference? I paid more for ADSL24 than i would have for any other service at the time. I only got a slightly better speed because they used the Cable and wireless network, so no system to monitor the line, so I could change the noise and not have the system trying to change it back. Customer service was better, but I only used it once.
    Even if i had the money I do not think I would pay over the odds for broadband, maybe at one point I may have, but not these days. Saying that I would still prefer to support the smaller provider.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A 5 second google confirms what I've been saying. Examples such as http://www.choose.net/media/guide/faqs/best-broadband-providers-customer-service.html do well to prove the point. Zen first, TalkTalk near bottom with EE and BT (and AOL which is basically TalkTalk)

AOL is gone now, only people who are already with AOL can get the service and it is nothing like Talk talk, it is still ont he BT network for a start,
    "As of December 2014, according to Ofcom's complaints figures, TalkTalk are no longer the most complained about broadband provider in the UK." Such improvement.

Then it is a improvement then, no matter how small, it have improved. I am not a fan of Talk talk, bur even I can see that they have got a lot better, even their customer service seems to be better.
    A friend have been with TT for a few months now and had a problem with her router, replaced and sorted, not that she uses their router now, and had a problem with her phone line, sorted out in two days, not as quick as Plusnet, but her problem was BTOR being a bit slow.
    People on these forums and other forums are also saying how much Talk Talk have improved.
    Or http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php - the top ISPs being the ones who charge a bit more than the bare minimum for their services (and isn't it surprising how none of the largest ISPs appear there)

See, you are banging your chest and going on about your income again - when it simply isn't relevant to the discussion. It won't change the fact that TT are bottom of the pile in customer satisfaction and that cheapskates flock to cheap ISPs like TalkTalk. You seem to enjoy talking about yourself. Shame it isn't necessary.

Cheapskates, er? Well excuse me for being on the sick, excuse the other people who are on the breadline and can't afford, £50 or more a month for broadband. A lot of people also go for the well known names because they are well known. Go into the street and ask anyone if they know who Andrew and Arnald is, I bet most will not know, maybe think it is a new eatery.
    As then if they have hard of Zen? Most people only know of the big 4, EE, Talk Talk, BT and Sky, with some maybe knowing about Plusnet
    Also, some people do not not need speedy broadband as long as it does what they want.,

Rude for stating the facts - that TT are rubbish?

Not as rubbish as they was, I still doubt I would ever use them myself mind you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flique wrote: »
    EE have rubbish customer service and I spent the last three evenings trying to sort out why I have a download speed of 0.25. I wish I could afford the likes of Zen but I can't. I am a pensioner and although iI have a small works pension too I still have to be careful. I don't do a lot of downloading but need enough speed not to wait in for ages at the moment it is worse than the old days on dial up.

I now have to phone them yet again in the morning to try and resolve the problem. I haverequested my MAC code so i will be able to get things started. They have one more chance in the morning then I am off to TT, my son has been with them years without a problem. I may jump from the frying pan into the fire but what celse is there to do. I am out of contract with EE so no problem there.

Is it EE or is it because you are a distance away from the Exchange? Saying that I do agree with you that EE seems to be worse than the others these days.
    Good luck with Talk talk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No we are not far from the exchange. We a not on fibre though but it is available but more expensive. The most I will get is between 4-8 but that is ok for me and a hell of a lot more than the 0.24 I am getting at the moment. My speeds weren't bad before all this started.

They are still trying to resolve this and have promised once again another 24 hours and speed will be good. We will see and I will post, losing the will to live at the moment as that is the third time in as many days they have said that to me. I have to wait for MAC code anyway so nothing to lose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flique wrote: »
    No we are not far from the exchange. We a not on fibre though but it is available but more expensive. The most I will get is between 4-8 but that is ok for me and a hell of a lot more than the 0.24 I am getting at the moment. My speeds weren't bad before all this started.

They are still trying to resolve this and have promised once again another 24 hours and speed will be good. We will see and I will post, losing the will to live at the moment as that is the third time in as many days they have said that to me. I have to wait for MAC code anyway so nothing to lose.

My brother have been with EE for a few months now and to be honest his speed is awful, I had to update his computer a few weeks back and at 3-4Mb/s it was worse than when he was with the post office. I did say to him about Fibre, but he will not pay the extra and said he should be able to get a decent speed with ADSL, which he should get.

I also know of other people with EE and they have not been having much luck with them either, maybe they trying to get rid of customers before BT gobble them up for some reason.

Good luck anyway, I hope they sort things out, because if you are not that far away from the exchange you should get a better speed unless it is a line fault.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zak2012 wrote: »
    Hi,how can i get cheapest Landline and Broadband ?im looking for £10 a month for both ? thanks
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    Unless I've got this wrong, isn't it a big ask. Don't most phone lines start from around £15 per month for the line as a minimum starting point.

If there are any cheaper then I'd be interested as I'd love to ditch BT who have to be the worst provider.

I wondered this too as £10/month for landline and broadband is asking a lot
    Whereas broadband fees seem to to have decreased over the past few years line rental is always being increased
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    One thing to remember is that a lot of these higher price services, still rely on the same network as the cheaper ones, a lot uses Talk Talk network.

TalkTalk Wholesale via a different ISP is okay from what I can tell, it's a hell of a lot better if you're in a situation where it's BT 20CN, TT or nothing at all. It's just the retail side that is crap - like BT themselves really.
    People with money seems not to spend it so much and a lot of them goes for the cheapest they can, unless they ear millions then it is a different thing.

But there's a difference between not spending much and literally going for the absolute cheapest. You don't have to spend 50 quid a month to get something decent, Plusnet shows that you can have a good price and relatively good service (though not Zen or AAISP good). But any ISP that claims to offer "free unlimited broadband" if you pay the line rental probably won't be.

It's like most things, a decent mid-range product is not that much more than the cheapest but it's a hell of a lot better.
    As for your higher price services, do you really see much difference? I paid more for ADSL24 than i would have for any other service at the time. I only got a slightly better speed because they used the Cable and wireless network, so no system to monitor the line, so I could change the noise and not have the system trying to change it back. Customer service was better, but I only used it once.
    Even if i had the money I do not think I would pay over the odds for broadband, maybe at one point I may have, but not these days. Saying that I would still prefer to support the smaller provider.

I think I do. The connection never goes wrong, speeds are always fantastic, latency/loss are good, it's stress free. I'm having to deal with BT business on behalf of someone else at the moment and I really wish I'd told them to move to Zen (it wouldn't be that much more since it's a business connection) - they're making a simple phone line move so difficult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    I wondered this too as £10/month for landline and broadband is asking a lot
    Whereas broadband fees seem to to have decreased over the past few years line rental is always being increased

That's exactly why. It's so ISPs like TalkTalk can say that they can offer unlimited broadband for £1 a month provided you go with them for the phone line and pay a bit more for it. They're shifting the cost to the landline.

The worst example is Virgin, who has no technical need for a phone line at all, but the price of broadband on its own is approximately £12 more than the price of broadband when taken with phone (where the phone line is £17 a month)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go into the street and ask anyone if they know who Andrew and Arnald is, I bet most will not know, maybe think it is a new eatery.
    As then if they have hard of Zen? Most people only know of the big 4, EE, Talk Talk, BT and Sky, with some maybe knowing about Plusnet
    Also, some people do not not need speedy broadband as long as it does what they want.

I'm not sure what your point is here. People happily put up with substandard service because it's cheap. Look at all the people who persevere with O2 or Vodafone and complain about slow internet on their phones, but won't move networks because they think it's too difficult (it isn't), or that they think all networks are the same.

A lot of people don't know better.

You also see this when buying things. I have a lot of relatives who refuse to listen to any technically literate people in the family, and will go to PC World and buy the absolute cheapest laptop or tablet in the shop. No wonder then that it's a total POS from the moment it's taken out of the box and lasts a year or two before dying. You don't have to go overboard and buy a Macbook Pro or iPad, but maybe spend £50 more on a £300 product instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just an update in case anyone does consider EE. 5 days since phone line was fixed and connectivity issues solved but BB speed not. Just phoned again to be told that now the connectivity is good they can do a reset and in two hours I should have better speeds, not holding my breath here. The connectivity was not an issue after phone fault was solved so why another 5 days to solve this when I had been on the phone to tell them the problem every day.

This gentleman did however give me my MAC code as he says it is on the system, funny that as when I asked for it 2 days ago they said it would have to be sent to me and would take 5 days. So all is not lost I have the code and will switch if they let me down this time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two hours now passed, no better and no phone call as yet.