Options

Doctor Who Series 2: New "Darker" Theme Tune

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 825
Forum Member
✭✭
From 'The Mirror'
DOCTORED DIN
THE forthcoming series of Doctor Who will have a new version of the classic soundtrack recorded by unsigned British musician Kurgan Merrick.

Our Tardistastic insider reveals: "It will be darker than ever before - in fact it's menacing and quite scary.

"The new theme tune is a lot slower than the one currently used. It sounds a bit like a distorted choir."

Blimey.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm, not sure if I believe this, they've said before that the orchestral version used in the Christmas Invasion would be used for the new season.

But if it isn't true it seems strange that they'd print it less than a month before the episode airs, people will remember this story and know they were talking crap.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, not sure if I believe this, they've said before that the orchestral version used in the Christmas Invasion would be used for the new season.

But if it isn't true it seems strange that they'd print it less than a month before the episode airs, people will remember this story and know they were talking crap.
    It is a tabloid story, so the term "talking crap" is probably very relevant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why bother tinkering with it again when it is perfectly fine as it is. Think Murray Gold did a good job on the theme and incidental music.
  • Options
    The_MasterThe_Master Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why bother tinkering with it again when it is perfectly fine as it is. Think Murray Gold did a good job on the theme and incidental music.

Personally, I think it does need more work and would love to hear a "Darker" version. The versions used so far remind me far too much of the 1996 effort.
    The Pertwee/Baker era theme and the Baker/Davison era theme take some beating. One of them could be used as a base.
    Murray Gold said on an interview that he didn't want to be accused of doing to the Doctor Who theme what Phil Spector had done to the Beatles "Let it Be" Album, unfortunately I think that's just what he's done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    The_Master wrote:
    Personally, I think it does need more work and would love to hear a "Darker" version. The versions used so far remind me far too much of the 1996 effort.
    The Pertwee/Baker era theme...

Well that's basically the original, isn't it?
    and the Baker/Davison era theme take some beating. .

Oh I disagree there! The Howell version (and others which followed) was pants! It was far too plinky-plonky. It was almost as annoying as those awful little bits of music Windows plays whenever you do anything!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's basically the original, isn't it?

Not really. Play an old Hartnell or Troughton episode and you should notice a difference. The original 1963 version was slower, "fuzzier" and deeper in tone. In addition to that it did not feature the "Sting" and the low "humming" sound right at the end of the end credits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    stuart62 wrote:
    It was almost as annoying as those awful little bits of music Windows plays whenever you do anything!
    I bet Bill Gates paid more for those few seconds than Murray Gold got paid for doing the whole new arrangement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DenWatts wrote:
    I bet Bill Gates paid more for those few seconds than Murray Gold got paid for doing the whole new arrangement.

Based on Artistic Merit probably yes ;)
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Master wrote:
    Based on Artistic Merit probably yes ;)

What would people prefer? A dramatic bit of incidental music, or dramatic 'Dun' after performing an illegal operation on an application and must have it shut down? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could happen as an alternative theme but only for the paralell world Cyberman story ;)
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would people prefer? A dramatic bit of incidental music, or dramatic 'Dun' after performing an illegal operation on an application and must have it shut down? :D

LOL :D:D

I know exactly what you mean, I was just thinking the same thing.

I've seen Windows opens up on some computers, and you hear a short piece of some wonderous, beautiful, dreamlike music at startup, .....then for some reason some application is configured wrongly at startup or something, and after having your mood enhanced by that initially inviting music, you get a horrible 'Dun' sound with an error message popping up.

Suddenly your mood of delighted wonderment is instantly replaced with a sudden depressed, deflated feeling.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,690
    Forum Member
    Dun? Repeated thrice??

Surely nobody could accuse Eastenders of needing to be shut down?

Nobody has faith anymore.... :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could happen as an alternative theme but only for the paralell world Cyberman story ;)
    That's what I'm thinking - but is that not a bit too much like what Enterprise did with their parallel universe stories?
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Darker? Slower?

Makes me think of Dominic Glynn.

*shivvers*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nice idea! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened to this then? As I suspected it was it just the Mirror talking out of their arses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to this then? As I suspected it was it just the Mirror talking out of their arses.

Could it be for the season finale, once Rose has been disposed of?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Master wrote:
    Could it be for the season finale, once Rose has been disposed of?
    For that occasion would many fans prefer something more cheerful, not darker, methinks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote:
    For that occasion would many fans prefer something more cheerful, not darker, methinks.

What are you trying to suggest? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Would like a reworked darker theme tune...........is due fer it, after all, it got reworked every couple of years before.......bring back the heavy Dun da dun da dun, dun da dun da dun, dun dun dun dun da dun please.

David
  • Options
    JonathanExJonathanEx Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the themetune did change a bit for this series, but not dramatically to be dark.
  • Options
    Alex OughtonAlex Oughton Posts: 6,739
    Forum Member
    The only difference is that the ending uses the version performed by the BBC Orchestra of Wales, including the middle-8.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    The only difference is that the ending uses the version performed by the BBC Orchestra of Wales, including the middle-8.

And the mixing between the computer blingy blangy noises and the part where the orchestra comes in is quite bad, no wonder the BBC are at pains to talk over it....

Mind you having said that I'd love to find a website with all the variations of the who theme I could hear/download, there's got to be one out there somewhere...
    Particularly the TV Movie theme, that was pretty unique...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the mixing between the computer blingy blangy noises and the part where the orchestra comes in is quite bad, no wonder the BBC are at pains to talk over it....

Mind you having said that I'd love to find a website with all the variations of the who theme I could hear/download, there's got to be one out there somewhere...
    Particularly the TV Movie theme, that was pretty unique...

You're right but IMO not in a good way. Unfortunately the present version is far too much like it.
    The original version was excellent and would really take some beating, I would prefer a version closer to it.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now even the music is worse than as it used to be, back in good old days. So I was watching Genesis of the Daleks the other day, to check on what I have been missing. Scary stuff, two scariest things - Doctor's scarf and posh accents. And the music sounded like they needed whole two people to play it - keyboard player and a conductor :rolleyes: