Options

Neighbour Left Cat Out all Weekend!! Grrr

JoleneJolene Posts: 1,762
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My next door neighbour left her poor little cat outside while she went away fro bank holiday.
Being a nosey neighbour, I noticed her cat was meowing on saturday morning and I didnt think anything of it as she always meows until I realised by saturday evening that her car wasnt there and she hadnt been home.
Sunday morning the cat was still meowing and she still wasnt home.

I gave her some cat treats sunday evening and yesterday morning, and fed them to her on her doorstep so she didnt try to wander into my house for food. (I've had a cat go and live with a neighbour before because she was enticed with nice food! so I wouldnt do that to someone elses cat)

I am sooo angry with her for going away all bank holiday and locking her cat out. I run a pet sitting business whereby i feed cats at their homes whilst their owners are away. Should I tell my neighbour i fed her cat and give her my business card?, not to get her to use me, but just to give the message that you can't leave your cat outside for three days with no food.

Yes cats are much better at looking after themselves than dogs, and can be left alone - but thats not the point.
Why have a pet if you're going to kick it out when it suits you, when you fancy a bank holiday away for three days? Would you do that to your own child?
grrr I am so angry, I had to vent here. :mad:

Comments

• Options
    tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was the cat really locked out. Wasnt there a cat flap that it used to get in and out during the weekend. Maybe there was enough food and water left inside the home for the cat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomharry2 wrote: »
    was the cat really locked out. Wasnt there a cat flap that it used to get in and out during the weekend. Maybe there was enough food and water left inside the home for the cat.

Nope, there isnt a catflap and there wasnt any saucers left out the front or back of house. We're semi-detached to each other and can see into each others gardens clearly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is so wrong what the neighbour did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    She's probably well aware that you'll feed it and most probably why she didn't bother to do anything about it. One of the neighbours of my parents left for a couple of weeks leaving their cats with no food and shut out of the house. I am sure they knew full well that neighbours would feed and look after them but everyone was pretty disgusted. One poor little cat was so starving it was eating bird seed from the table. Thankfully now, all cats have been rehomed with people more suitable to owning cats.

If I were you, I would present her with the card. If she's going to rely on you to feed her cat, then she should pay as everyone else does who uses your services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozza73 wrote: »
    She's probably well aware that you'll feed it and most probably why she didn't bother to do anything about it. One of the neighbours of my parents left for a couple of weeks leaving their cats with no food and shut out of the house. I am sure they knew full well that neighbours would feed and look after them but everyone was pretty disgusted. One poor little cat was so starving it was eating bird seed from the table. Thankfully now, all cats have been rehomed with people more suitable to owning cats.

If I were you, I would present her with the card. If she's going to rely on you to feed her cat, then she should pay as everyone else does who uses your services.

My neighbour and I have hardly spoken in 6 years. She doesnt like me because I ask her child not to use my house as a goal post, and I dont speak to her because she doesnt give the time of day to any of the neighbours.
    She probably isnt even aware of my services as I havent made signs for my car yet.
    So I'm very sure she didnt expect me to do anything as we've hardly ever spoken.... which makes me feel terrible for that poor cat just pushed to the side while she goes away.
    People like this shouldn't have pets! :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    That is really, really wrong and I can't ever condone the idea that they are cats and they can get their own food if they are hungry. If you domesticate a cat and have that cat come in your house, feed it, etc etc the cat will be used to that routine and the love and attention it gets. To just take that away from the cat and expect it to surive, which understandbly they would, but that is not the point., is just cruel and wrong. We don't know what feelings cats have, we can tell they have thoughts because they show them to us when they make decisions, so they must feel something when their owner just abandons them. Just wrong and I hate it. I would never, ever do that to my cats because they are part of my family, as much as my husband and kids are, so should be treated in exactly the same way. :mad:
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Cats don't like being left. They don't like being put out in the rain and it really was nasty weather for your neighbour to leave the cat out in. All it has done is rain. Poor little mite.

It seems to me your neighbour needs educating and shouldn't really have a cat if she doesn't care about its welfare.

I always feel that if people can treat animals abysmally, how do they treat humans?
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Feel so pissed orf with that....What it is with people that get a cat and go off and *leave it* obviously its *just a cat* to them..:mad: Knowing me I would have rung the rspca or something similar.....I cant abide anything like that....Yes I know abit strong...Most people know that accidents occur at night....! It just amazes me why people have a pet and just bloodywell ignore the poor little thing.

I'd entice her in with as much foor as you can cos obviously that little cat isnt being looked after properly...:(

Sorry Rant over;.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are funny creatures. (Humans I mean.) On one extreme you have folks who don't give a sh!t about their pets and yet thankfully there are some who would walk over broken glass for the animals in their care.

I feel for you Jolene, watching neglect is never easy. Sadly I've no advice though. If your neighbour is a "from hell" sort then any interference or discussion is going to be unwelcome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roooty wrote: »
    We are funny creatures. (Humans I mean.) On one extreme you have folks who don't give a sh!t about their pets and yet thankfully there are some who would walk over broken glass for the animals in their care.

I feel for you Jolene, watching neglect is never easy. Sadly I've no advice though. If your neighbour is a "from hell" sort then any interference or discussion is going to be unwelcome.
    Great comments but so hard when nobody give a shite about their animals.......Personally I'd go that extra road to the cats prot and RSPCA..Sometimes it doesnt always works but it does sometimes.......you know her! address etc.........leave it with them.......
  • Options
    LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That is so wrong, I'd report her to the RSPCA. Poor cat, thank goodness you care.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sixtynine wrote: »
    That is so wrong, I'd report her to the RSPCA. Poor cat, thank goodness you care.

I'd agree with this, report her. It makes me so angry when people mistreat their animals.

We leave our cats for a weekend occasionally but they have a catflap and always plenty of food and water. What is wrong with some people:mad:
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    The only time our cat gets "locked out" is for an hour or 2 a week when we mop all the floors, just so she doesn't get Flash / Cillit Bang on her paws. At all other times a window is left open and fresh food and water available
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just double check the neighbour didn't leave access for the cat or had arranged for someone to visit - we had a horrible falling out a few years ago with our next door neighbour as we went away on our holidays and had not only arranged for the mother-in-law to pop round at least once a day to check food levels water etc but had as normal left the kitchen window open for the cats to get in and out of the house (their usual mode of entry & exit) - when we returned from holiday we phoned mother-in-law who was very concerned as she hadn't seen the cats for a few days, their food/water hadn't been touched - so we starting knocking on doors to see if anyone had seen the cats to find our neighbour had cat napped our cats and had been keeping them indoors for their "own safety" as we were away and she hadn't "seen" anyone coming to the house to feed them
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I have a neighbour that leaves her cat outside when she goes out, the cat is fine. If she does call him he refuses to come in anyway and when he is in he howls to be let out again so she can't win. He is out in all weathers, he was out when it snowed before Christmas. But I would never report her because the cat is well looked after.

Do you know for sure that she didn't get someone to come in and feed the cat at all, all weekend? Could you just have missed the person popping in to feed the cat and then letting the cat back out? Did you watch her house 24hrs a day all weekend or did you just assume that she had abandonned her cat because it was howling to be let in? I wouldn't go reporting her to the RSPCA without knowing for sure that the cat was left without food or water, you say you don't get on with the neighbour and to be honest reporting her when you don't know the whole story or whether the cat was even left alone without food will just make things worse.

When we go away our cat is left on her own all day from about 7am when someone gives her her breakfast and then they pop back at 7pm when they give her dinner. They then leave her until 7am the next day. Many people won't see the person popping round to feed her so could assume we had abannoned her when that isn't the case at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes you do get the person you've asked *that just really dont turn up * they leave it for a couple of days cos they think the cat will be ok (dont even think about their trays) etc.my sister had that a few years ago and found out the person that WAS supposed to come round didnt turn up......
  • Options
    bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor cat! The weather was bloody terrible too. Nice of you to feed him/her. I would go round and have a word, yes. She wouldn't like being left out all weekend with no shelter or food. Hag.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    I have a neighbour that leaves her cat outside when she goes out, the cat is fine. If she does call him he refuses to come in anyway and when he is in he howls to be let out again so she can't win. He is out in all weathers, he was out when it snowed before Christmas. But I would never report her because the cat is well looked after.

Do you know for sure that she didn't get someone to come in and feed the cat at all, all weekend? Could you just have missed the person popping in to feed the cat and then letting the cat back out? Did you watch her house 24hrs a day all weekend or did you just assume that she had abandonned her cat because it was howling to be let in? I wouldn't go reporting her to the RSPCA without knowing for sure that the cat was left without food or water, you say you don't get on with the neighbour and to be honest reporting her when you don't know the whole story or whether the cat was even left alone without food will just make things worse.

When we go away our cat is left on her own all day from about 7am when someone gives her her breakfast and then they pop back at 7pm when they give her dinner. They then leave her until 7am the next day. Many people won't see the person popping round to feed her so could assume we had abannoned her when that isn't the case at all.

I think that's really sensible advice. I definitely wouldn't report the matter to the RSPCA without discussing it with the neighbour first. It's important to get the facts right and also important for neighbours to live together as harmoniously as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She admitted she didn't have anyone around to look after her when I knocked yesterday.
    I called round just to say I heard her crying so I gave her treats but that I gave them to her on her doorstep rather than inticing her. I gave my neighbour a pack of these treats as her cat liked them so much and said if she's stuck, I'm a cat sitter and will feed her cat and let her in and out as she pleases for half price :)
    She was very embarrassed and I dont think she will do it again. She'd better not any way grrr
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done, Jolene. :cool: I bet it wasn't easy going round to the dragon's den. :D
  • Options
    summer_chicksummer_chick Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well done for confronting her... the poor cat. If she doesn't care for it, she should find it a home where someone else will...
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,324
    Forum Member
    Jolene wrote: »
    She admitted she didn't have anyone around to look after her when I knocked yesterday.
    I called round just to say I heard her crying so I gave her treats but that I gave them to her on her doorstep rather than inticing her. I gave my neighbour a pack of these treats as her cat liked them so much and said if she's stuck, I'm a cat sitter and will feed her cat and let her in and out as she pleases for half price :)
    She was very embarrassed and I dont think she will do it again. She'd better not any way grrr

Just seen this thread. Thought your card ID was a brilliant subtle idea anyway. Now after your chat and obvious career discression, I dare she will do it again with no reason:)
    Well done PET DEC!