Options

"Accurate recording" from ITV HD

galleonslapgalleonslap Posts: 384
Forum Member
I am getting some household grief due to the inconsistency of recording with AR of Coronation Street from ITVHD. On Mondays and Fridays there are two Corries, at 7:30 and 8:30 respectively. The first one starts recording nearly 4 mins early, and chops the end off. The second one starts correctly during the sponsors message and records the complete programme. This has been consistent for a couple of weeks now. BBC recordings are OK. This must be down to ITV's timings as the second episode records OK. This has only started happening since the ITVHD region here recently changed from London to Meridian, although this could be a coincidence. We are in N. Hampshire and the box is a Humax Foxsat HDR. To compound it further, I have just bought a Humax HDR Fox-T2 Freeview box and tried AR series recording Corrie from ITVHD on that, and both eps record correctly. This is also Meridian. If the timings are right on DTT then why not on satellite? Why would they be different? Anyone else seen this? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I've been in contact with ITV over this issue, and I believe Freesat have also.
    I spoke to ITV viewer services yesterday and was told to contact them again if things have not been resolved within a few days, they sent this email to me shortly after.
    Thank you for your further email and for talking with me earlier.

I can confirm that I’ve passed your details to our data team and have asked them to investigate. However, if the problem continues and you see no change in the next few days, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Once again, thank you for taking the trouble to contact ITV.

Kind regards,

Derek

ITV Viewer Services.

I'd recommend sending them an email too using this email address: viewerservices@itv.com
    In the meantime though, recordings made on 103 are problem free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I've been in contact with ITV over this issue, and I believe Freesat have also.
    I spoke to ITV viewer services yesterday and was told to contact them again if things have not been resolved within a few days, they sent this email to me shortly after.

I'd recommend sending them an email too using this email address: viewerservices@itv.com
    In the meantime though, recordings made on 103 are problem free.

Thanks for that, I will e-mail them today and post any reply.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My recording of The Americans was missing the first 8 minutes thanks to ITV, and I ended up having to download the episode so I could see it in full. >:(

And the broadcasters complain that the internet is killing tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    My recording of The Americans was missing the first 8 minutes thanks to ITV, and I ended up having to download the episode so I could see it in full. >:(

And the broadcasters complain that the internet is killing tv.

Same here, fortunately I spotted it in time to record it again from +1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, I will e-mail them today and post any reply.

I emailed ITV and got this reply:

"There are no technical problems currently being reported so it’s possible that your box has not updated correctly following the launch of the new service. In order to try to correct the situation you should unplug your Freesat box at the wall socket for thirty seconds. After you’ve switched back on please go to the set up menu, select Freesat tune and enter your postcode again and search for channels. You will then need to re-enter any recordings you previously had."

I did a reset originally anyway in case but to no effect, but I can't see how only one of the two episodes could be affected by a box problem.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I emailed ITV and got this reply:

"There are no technical problems currently being reported so it’s possible that your box has not updated correctly following the launch of the new service. In order to try to correct the situation you should unplug your Freesat box at the wall socket for thirty seconds. After you’ve switched back on please go to the set up menu, select Freesat tune and enter your postcode again and search for channels. You will then need to re-enter any recordings you previously had."

I did a reset originally anyway in case but to no effect, but I can't see how only one of the two episodes could be affected by a box problem.

Nor me especially as my HDR1000s and Foxsat-hdr give identical problems (different epgs). Freeview-HD isn't affected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nor me especially as my HDR1000s and Foxsat-hdr give identical problems (different epgs). Freeview-HD isn't affected.

Thanks Graham, standard ITV fob-off I think. It'll probably be silently fixed. >:(
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    It wasn't that long ago when they said there wasn't a problem their end with the SD>HD prompts and put the blame on the Humax box. Then low and behold a few weeks later they reappear without Freesat or Humax doing anything.
    Just have to wait and see what tomorrow brings now with the Corrie double episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another weird thing just noticed. The current programme as I write this is "Tipping Point" on ITV 10:55 to 12:00. On 103 EPG it shows correctly. On ITVHD 119 it shows on the EPG and Info as "Storage Hoarders" with the same timings, but the transmitted programme is the same as 103, i.e. Tipping Point. Is it just me? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...and just to follow up on the original post, Friday's Corrie first episode started recording here only 2 mins earlier than the second one relative to the titles, but that meant the whole episode was recorded. :cool:
  • Options
    mjrmjr Posts: 2,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add another data point, I recorded the Tommy Cooper programme last Monday off ITV HD (Meridian) and it looked like it had just recorded according to clock times rather than Accurate Record, like the bad old days of the Channel 4 channels. (Or come to think of it, just like the current +1 channels from ITV too.)

Incidentally this is why I think Freesat always should have offered a hybrid system with Accurate Record, where padding can be applied on channels where AR data isn't transmitted, but AR used on other channels where the data exists. Alas you can have only one or the other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mjr wrote: »
    Just to add another data point, I recorded the Tommy Cooper programme last Monday off ITV HD (Meridian) and it looked like it had just recorded according to clock times rather than Accurate Record, like the bad old days of the Channel 4 channels. (Or come to think of it, just like the current +1 channels from ITV too.)

Incidentally this is why I think Freesat always should have offered a hybrid system with Accurate Record, where padding can be applied on channels where AR data isn't transmitted, but AR used on other channels where the data exists. Alas you can have only one or the other.

I totally agree, AR padding would solve this. Sky+HD boxes do this; and if you record 2 consecutive programmes on the same channel the overlap is duplicated on both. Why can't Freesat do something similar? AR from ITV HD Meridian is still a mess, last night the first Corrie had the end chopped off and the second had the start cut off. On Saturday the end of BGT was cut off about 4 or 5 mins before it finished. All BBC is fine. >:(
  • Options
    ACS651ACS651 Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    So is it only us users with the London moved over over to the Meridian area of ITV HD that are having this problem?
    If so I may reset my box to a London postcode and see if I can get my recording settings working again.

I know that some people gained from the switch to the Meridian area from the London one but not all of us.
    I live in the part of the Meridian area that covers mainly Hampshire and Dorset. The Meridian area that is covered by ITV HD Meridian is mainly for the Sussex and Kent area and so I have not gained any local news coverage or local adverts with the switch and so rely on the SD version of the channel to get local coverage. This was also the case when I was on the London ITV HD relying on the SD version of the channel.

Over the last few months with different changes going on with the channels and frequencies I was often finding that my recording schedules for ITV HD had disappeared and then had to reschedule the programmes again (normally only noticing after the programmes had already been shown and so not showing up in my recordings list).
    Well I just happened to notice a couple of days ago that 2 programmes I had already scheduled for Series Link recording a couple of weeks ago had disappeared from the schedule. These 2 programmes (Let Me Entertain You and Britain's Got Talent) recorded to the drive last weekend as requested but would of not done so this weekend if I hadn't noticed them missing from the schedule and reset them.
    One thing I also noticed when I rescheduled them this time is it never gave me the option to Series Link both programmes but only gave me the "Once Only" recording option.
    This concerned me a bit seeing that they are meant to be on every Saturday fro the next few weeks. luckily enough I also have a Humax Freeview HD box at my disposal. So I decided to have a go at setting a schedule for the same two programmes to be recorded this Saturday and both were able to be set for Series Link and not just the "Once Only" option.

I think there are more things wrong with the Meridian version of ITV HD than just the recording timings being up the creek and would do a double-check of your scheduled recordings to make sure that everything is as it should be.
    I am going to keep things as they are over the weekend and if anything goes wrong at all I will then move over to a London Postcode to see if it straightens everything. out.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same problem on Central West and on both Freetime and Foxsat-HDR units.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, cautious optimism, Friday and Saturday's recordings all worked correctly here including "The Americans", which has been another problematic prog. :cool: