Options

Tony Gubba's commentary

textpesttextpest Posts: 329
Forum Member
Sometimes I find him funny and sometimes a little strange.
Tonight he said something like....."Mikey is dressed as an irish cowboy. I had one of them building my patio"

I thought it was a little insulting to irish builders (I am married to one!) Am I being touchy? :o

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cringed when he said that, I wonder if he will be made to apologise like Jason had to!:D
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't hear him say that. I love the commentary.
  • Options
    reclinewithmereclinewithme Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it a little embarrassing too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    textpest wrote: »
    Tonight he said something like....."Mikey is dressed as an irish cowboy. I had one of them building my patio"

I thought it was a little insulting to irish builders (I am married to one!) Am I being touchy? :o

No, I thought that was out of order too!
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he tries to be funny and fails miserably quite often.
  • Options
    emmalou78emmalou78 Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He annoys me, every week with his pervy comments towards the girls outfits!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I did not hear that particular remark but I do feel there are people out there who will take offence at absolutely anything. Enjoy the programme for what it is and turn down the volume when Tony comes on. Problem solved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emmalou78 wrote: »

Yes I've noticed that. He's a right old perv
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can practically hear him drooling as he speaks. He gives me the shudders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should stick to commentating on football!
  • Options
    CombatHamsterCombatHamster Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Back when Kristina Lenko was one of the pros her outfits were all he ever cared about each week :D
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finny wrote: »
    I did not hear that particular remark but I do feel there are people out there who will take offence at absolutely anything. Enjoy the programme for what it is and turn down the volume when Tony comes on. Problem solved.

I agree, talk about extra touchy. It was meant light heartedly, it added something to the show - don't worry about it.
  • Options
    Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    textpest wrote: »

I must've missed that bit but i agree that sometime he's funny and other times abit strange!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back when Kristina Lenko was one of the pros her outfits were all he ever cared about each week :D

No wonder she quit, she was probably fed up of him perving at her every week!:D
  • Options
    textpesttextpest Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    I must've missed the point where Tony Gubba turned it into Watchdog. :D

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm loving Tony Gubba's commentary, I found his joke about irish cowboys funny.
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daisy19 wrote: »
    I must've missed that bit but i agree that sometime he's funny and other times abit strange!

He meant cowboy ..e.g a builder who did'nt do the job properly..just a joke I thought it was funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find his commentry quite funnt most of the time. Occasionally it is a bit random but in a funny way
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finny wrote: »

Well said :)
  • Options
    xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's so random and yes whenever Kristina was on he perved all over her lol.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark my words there will be complaints about the Irish cowboys 'joke'.
  • Options
    Wtchfndr SpcfcWtchfndr Spcfc Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    It's called humour, get over it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    I agree, talk about extra touchy. It was meant light heartedly, it added something to the show - don't worry about it.

Exactly! It didn't bother me particularly as I very rarely listen to what he is prattling on about anyway - I did think, though, that there was sure to be someone who wouldn't like it!;):rolleyes:
  • Options
    Wtchfndr SpcfcWtchfndr Spcfc Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Offence - rarely given, all too often taken.

This once great country of ours stood proud in that humour could be used in relation to many aspects of life and 'angry from Surbiton' was a figure of ridicule. Now, unfortunately, galvanised by the E&D police and litigation, 'angry from Surbiton' has found its voice and we are a poorer society for it.

As a one-legged, Welsh teacher, I know only too well how personal humour can be and I don't take offence - for myself or, as is figured here, on behalf of others. "Oh, how will an Irish builder feel" rages 'angry from Surbiton'. I'll tell you - if he is a genuine builder he won't give a stuff, because he too rants about the cowboys. If he is a builder but not Irish, he will laugh - having suffered the indignity of following up other 'builders' (often Irish) who regularly con the public, particularly the elderly.

Well done Mr Gubba, and don't let the politically correct 'angry from Surbiton' tell you any different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There was nowt else to talk about, given the dross Kristina had to skate with for about three series in a row! :D