Options

SkyHD box 'freezing' quite regularly ?

AdamBruntAdamBrunt Posts: 204
Forum Member
Hi all,

Got the above problem and was wondering if anyone could help.

By freezing I mean it; doesn't show any picture just a blue background (though sometimes you can scan up and down through the channels), usually stops responding to any remote button presses, etc.

Taking the power cable out and putting it back results in having to wait about 30 seconds before it responds to pressing the standby button on the remote and when it does; it does through the 'searching for channels' and then goes to channel 999 (or whichever one it is) but still just a blue screen.

I am not sure which make of box we have but if it makes a difference we got the HD box (less than 3 months ago) through the "free HD for a year" offer that loads of people got.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Regards,

Adam Brunt

Comments

• Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can find the make/model in the system settings from the menu.
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdamBrunt wrote: »
    Hi all,

Got the above problem and was wondering if anyone could help.

By freezing I mean it; doesn't show any picture just a blue background (though sometimes you can scan up and down through the channels), usually stops responding to any remote button presses, etc.

Taking the power cable out and putting it back results in having to wait about 30 seconds before it responds to pressing the standby button on the remote and when it does; it does through the 'searching for channels' and then goes to channel 999 (or whichever one it is) but still just a blue screen.

I am not sure which make of box we have but if it makes a difference we got the HD box (less than 3 months ago) through the "free HD for a year" offer that loads of people got.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Regards,

Adam Brunt

When you remove the power you should leave it for 2-3 minutes first to allow the hard drive to 'park' and then when you return the power you should again leave it for 2-3 minutes for it to 'cycle' properly. Was the system installed new when you took out the offer, ie new dish and cable etc? or was it a self install?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisw99 wrote: »

Bit difficult to do that if the box is not responding to the remote
    CTD101 wrote: »
    When you remove the power you should leave it for 2-3 minutes first to allow the hard drive to 'park' and then when you return the power you should again leave it for 2-3 minutes for it to 'cycle' properly.

Aha, didn't know that. I'll get the OH to try that.
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Was the system installed new when you took out the offer, ie new dish and cable etc? or was it a self install?

It was installed by an engineer (even though it was just meant to be a swap of the old Sky+ box with a SkyHD one). But in the end he swapped the dish, not sure about the cables, and the box was in a white box (which IIRC means it was brand new ??)
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisw99 wrote: »

You will also see the make moulded into the top casing at the rear and usually the make and model on the rear panel or sometimes a white sticky label on rear or bottom of box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the other half has been on the phone to Sky. They suggested the same 2-3 minutes thing but also said as it was an intermittent fault they'd said an engineer out as well but ... he's not coming til Friday !!!!