Cameron threatens to veto EU budget

Comments

• jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Define this England please?

This so-called nation that annexed Northumbria 900 years ago.

I didn't vote for it, therefore I should get a referendum on it.

No?
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    This so-called nation that annexed Northumbria 900 years ago.

I didn't vote for it, therefore I should get a referendum on it.

No?

Does this 'England' take away our democractic rights as citizens?
  • andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I realise that already. I was trying to get a Europhiles opinion of why we can't have a NAFTA type agreement in the EU. At least the Nafta countries are all sovereign which is more than can be said for the UK.

I suspect you'll find Mexico has a lot less sovereignty in practice than we have.

For a free trade agreement to work in practice over large numbers of goods and services there has to be quite a significant commonality of standards. Within NAFTA the US can pretty much impose these on Mexico, Canada has similar standards anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    I suspect you'll find Mexico has a lot less sovereignty in practice than we have.

For a free trade agreement to work in practice over large numbers of goods and services there has to be quite a significant commonality of standards. Within NAFTA the US can pretty much impose these on Mexico, Canada has similar standards anyway.

Yes, but the US doesn't insist that Canada and Mexico take it's laws in all policy areas like the EU does.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as I work for a living, I don't have time to type in an in depth analysis during the day. The damaging employment legislation which comes out of Brussels is one thing. Things like giving mums and dads a year off for Maternity and Paternity does a great deal of good to small businesses in the economy doesn't it. :rolleyes: The common agricultural policy which ads billions of pounds to our food bills to subsidise lazy French farmers. The EU telling us we must pay benefits to citizens of other EU countries dispite them never paying a penny in tax here. I can't waltz on over to Spain and claim benefits, so why should it work the other way around? I could name thousands more but I would be here all day.

Hmm, media rhetoric...

Damaging employment legislation probably means less protection and less money for employees.

CAP is a long favoured argument, mind you, not had the 'subsidise lazy French' for a while. You do realise how much British farmers get don't you?

Benefits, featured in the Mail, not seen anything yet which says we must give them benefits just because they turn up here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Hmm, media rhetoric...

Damaging employment legislation probably means less protection and less money for employees.

CAP is a long favoured argument, mind you, not had the 'subsidise lazy French' for a while. You do realise how much British farmers get don't you?
    Benefits, featured in the Mail, not seen anything yet which says we must give them benefits just because they turn up here.

No, it means sensible laws which don't let employers take the pi's but also don't burden the employers with massive extra costs. A year off for the Mother or Father in a small business is a huge cost to bear when they have to pay someone else to do the same job. And unless you don't eat anything, you are subsidising the lazy inefficient french farmers through CAP. We are needlessly paying billions of pounds a year extra because of it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EU has not managed to balance its budget any year since its inception. It's about time somebody put the brakes on these incompetent wasters. Mind you I will believe it when I see it:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EU has not managed to balance its budget any year since its inception. It's about time somebody put the brakes on these incompetent wasters. Mind you I will believe it when I see it:rolleyes:

I know. If any business didn't get its books signed off for 17 years they'd be arrested and thrown in Jail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it means sensible laws which don't let employers take the pi's but also don't burden the employers with massive extra costs. A year off for the Mother or Father in a small business is a huge cost to bear when they have to pay someone else to do the same job. And unless you don't eat anything, you are subsidising the lazy inefficient french farmers through CAP. We are needlessly paying billions of pounds a year extra because of it.

Is maternity leave an EU thing or just the progress of civilisation? Folk often claim we would be better off without 'red tape', 'EU interference' or just by being out of Europe but no-one can ever be specific. Sure people can name a policy such as CAP, even give a figure for it but what it actually means to the UK is never explained. We also receive a lot of EU funding, it's not all one way traffic as some like to suggest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is maternity leave an EU thing or just the progress of civilisation? Folk often claim we would be better off without 'red tape', 'EU interference' or just by being out of Europe but no-one can ever be specific. Sure people can name a policy such as CAP, even give a figure for it but what it actually means to the UK is never explained. We also receive a lot of EU funding, it's not all one way traffic as some like to suggest.

Err, we receive as the second biggest contributors to the EU our money back from them. How generous they are. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Err, we receive as the second biggest contributors to the EU our money back from them. How generous they are. :rolleyes:

Bit like belonging to a health club then. Some members may use everything everyday and some may go in once a week for a swim, but they all pay the same price for membership. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know. If any business didn't get its books signed off for 17 years they'd be arrested and thrown in Jail.

That has been covered before by Mithy73. Have a search, it wasn't that long ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit like belonging to a health club then. Some members may use everything everyday and some may go in once a week for a swim, but they all pay the same price for membership. :)

Err, we don't all pay the same price for membership. Stop being disingenoeous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Err, we don't all pay the same price for membership. Stop being disingenoeous.

No, that's true but it is based on wealth which equates to the same.

ETA: Is it only media based reasons you have for leaving or have you looked at advantages versus disadvantages?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nonsense. France based on GDP is bigger than us, so why are we paying more than them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ETA: Is it only media based reasons you have for leaving or have you looked at advantages versus disadvantages?

Nope my reasoning is my wish to see us being a democracy again which isn't possible being in the EU.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nonsense. France based on GDP is bigger than us, so why are we paying more than them?

No idea, do you know what formula they use for working out contributions?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope my reasoning is my wish to see us being a democracy again which isn't possible being in the EU.

We are a democracy, we have the HoC and the HoL and the Supreme Court for judicial matters. We have laws in common with many other Countries, it doesn't mean they are making us obey them either. I'm trying to find out what it is that the EU specifically rules against or for that holds us back?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each country's payment is divided into three parts: a fixed percentage of gross national income (GNI), customs duties collected on behalf of the EU (known as "traditional own resources") and a percentage of VAT income.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm

So it's proportional for each country so effectively the same for each country.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Each country's payment is divided into three parts: a fixed percentage of gross national income (GNI), customs duties collected on behalf of the EU (known as "traditional own resources") and a percentage of VAT income.

If memory serves me correctly we are net contributors to the EU.
  • clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If memory serves me correctly we are net contributors to the EU.

One of the very few and one of the largest. So it's pretty inevitable that on majority voting we are always going to lose a hands-up to all those who are net beneficiaries.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yet every country isn't a net contributor so that can't be the case.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The EU budget needs to be cut by at least 20%
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    The EU budget needs to be cut by at least 20%

Although it should be More like 100% our masters in Brussels would have a massive heart attack at a 20% decrease.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it should be More like 100% our masters in Brussels would have a massive heart attack at a 20% decrease.

Most countries in the EU are cutting their own budgets, so heart attack or no heart attack, the EU must do the same.