ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• HMOHMO Posts: 42,117
    Forum Member
    Not to feed the troll, but does your whole life revolve around slating ITV?

The mods need to get rid of this thread, seriously.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Another mega-flop alert in the space of 4 days: Itv's new major 9pm documentary yesterday fronted by Hollywood star Tom Hardy 'Poaching Wars' was watched by 1.4million viewers. It was the least popular terrestrial program at 9pm!

Can anyone honestly tell me that 1.4million is acceptable for itv1 at 9pm for a brand new show? That's now 4 shows in the 8pm/9pm slot this week which has rated 1.4-1.8m.

You are IGNORANT - a complete and utter troll - why don't you put this crap in The Ratngs Thread?
    Hassaan13 wrote: »

The mods need to get rid of this thread, seriously.

Yes, it seems as if his life does - total troll... :yawn:
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    You are IGNORANT - a complete and utter troll - why don't you put this crap in The Ratings Thread?

Either a) he'd be ignored, b) people would spur him on, or c) people would ask him to post it here...

This so called 'crisis' will only last for a week or so when X Factor returns with possibly 9m+, but that will be slated for not being as high as previous years. And Doc Martin may well stabilise at 8m but that'll be slated because 'it wouldn't have gotten that high with the Corrie lead-in' (as it looks to be on Mondays this year).

I don't think I've ever come across someone who hates a good TV network so much. Both BBC & ITV have flaws, but both have a lot of strengths. Dramas, reality TV, comedy to name a few.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Not at all. There are 1440 minutes in a day, it took my 2.5 minutes to find the ratings and post that on here, 0.2% of my time today :).

I dont see how it is being ignorant by posting the facts: 1.4million, fourth time in less than a week that ratings have been below 2m. It's been a very very poor week so far for the channel - crisis-type levels.

CORRECTION: Only 1.2m watched the documentary.
    Forum Member
    How about your other 1,000 posts on this thread?

Do you not feel embarrassed by them at all? The post that sticks out for me is when you said "The Chase got a rare win over Pointless", just because Pointless had beaten it the previous night, whereas throughout the autumn, and in the spring, The Chase was beating it regularly.

As for it being a crisis, that's up to people at ITV to decide. Why don't you ignore the flaws and look at the strengths in the schedule, what with the soaps doing decently, and ITV beating almost all of BBC1's primetime offerings on the last two Saturdays with a Harry Potter film repeat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all. There are 1440 minutes in a day, it took my 2.5 minutes to find the ratings and post that on here, 0.2% of my time today :).

I dont see how it is being ignorant by posting the facts: 1.4million, fourth time in less than a week that ratings have been below 2m. It's been a very very poor week so far for the channel - crisis-type levels.

That is exactly what you are - an ignorant troll who picks out figures to suit your own anti ITV agenda... the language, style & tone you use - you're so blind you don't even realise most folk on here & The Ratings Thread don't take you seriously.

You fail to mention it was a PSB style documentary - if it had been on the BBC we would be hearing "that's what the BBC does and they don't chase ratings" - you also fail to point out the 2 mega flops on BBC1 on a Saturday night, or the collapse of Eastenders this year, or the disaster that is Waterloo Road, or the Call The Midwife repeats last year that had to be taken off the schedule because the rating was terrible etc.. etc... We could go on, but you will never start a "BBC in crisis" thread because you don't have the savvy or sense to do that. :rolleyes:

When you start the "BBC in Saturday night crisis " thread we might take you seriously - until then, we'll point and laugh and move along... :D
    Forum Member
    Ive actually commented many times previously about the poor Waterloo road and Eastenders ratings. Indeed, I started a thread on the soap forum about EEs ratings troubles. The thing is bbc1 might have its flops but they're quite few and far between, so a ratings crisis thread for it is not warranted. Whereas with Itv, things are flop nearly all the time [especially new programs], so it makes more sense having a crisis thread for itv. Can you honestly say 1.2m even for a "PSB documentary" is acceptable for 9pm itv primetime? BBC1 has never fallen that low before at 9pm in the ratings even though theyve shown multiple psb documentaries.
    Forum Member
    You seem to ignore any successes ITV have had. And you're the guy who said that ITV wouldn't get any new show above 5m this year. :rolleyes:

While BGT was down a bit from last year, it is still a strong rating show. They've had successes in the form of Mr Selfridge and Broadchurch. Your Face Sounds Familiar didn't turn out to be a flop as many people expected. It did dip below 3m twice in the overnights, but remained above it throughout in the officials. And a few editions faced the biggest heatwave since 2006. Catchphrase & Off Their Rockers did their business on Sunday evenings in the spring, both holding up with 5 million. Saturday Night Takeaway also held up well.

ITV have actually had a good year. You just hate them so much that you fail to recognise that, and you just focus on the negatives.

You've got to consider what kind of show it is, before calling it a flop. Also, shouldn't Doctor Who be doing better as well?

Also, ITV haven't had a Saturday night flop this year, unlike That Puppet Game Show, Secret Service and I Love My Country...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Ive actually commented many times previously about the poor Waterloo road and Eastenders ratings. Indeed, I started a thread on the soap forum about EEs ratings troubles. The thing is bbc1 might have its flops but they're quite few and far between, so a ratings crisis thread for it is not warranted. Whereas with Itv, things are flop nearly all the time [especially new programs], so it makes more sense having a crisis thread for itv. Can you honestly say 1.2m even for a "PSB documentary" is acceptable for 9pm itv primetime? BBC1 has never fallen that low before at 9pm in the ratings even though theyve shown multiple psb documentaries.

your giving enough evidence with others for a rating crisis thread in terms off bbc 1 as well as - it would also be a fair balanced antithesis of this thread where the delightful discussion can continue to go round in circles, when I tried to do it last year it was closed down, so if somebody thinks it is warranted then please start up - it might keep Samuel quite but probably not but it would be fair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    You seem to ignore any successes ITV have had. And you're the guy who said that ITV wouldn't get any new show above 5m this year. :rolleyes:

While BGT was down a bit from last year, it is still a strong rating show. They've had successes in the form of Mr Selfridge and Broadchurch. Your Face Sounds Familiar didn't turn out to be a flop as many people expected. It did dip below 3m twice in the overnights, but remained above it throughout in the officials. And a few editions faced the biggest heatwave since 2006. Catchphrase & Off Their Rockers did their business on Sunday evenings in the spring, both holding up with 5 million. Saturday Night Takeaway also held up well.

ITV have actually had a good year. You just hate them so much that you fail to recognise that, and you just focus on the negatives.

You've got to consider what kind of show it is, before calling it a flop. Also, shouldn't Doctor Who be doing better as well?

Also, ITV haven't had a Saturday night flop this year, unlike That Puppet Game Show, Secret Service and I Love My Country...

you make several good points which Samuel will never agree with so as challenge for somebody open a crisis thread for the bbc and go into battle with Samuel in both threads or don't reply to him or read his posts he will soon get very bored whilst wearing his rose tinted spectacles and very lonely to boot.
  • Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    The thing is, who on a warm Thursday evening in some parts wants to watch a programme on Poaching? I think drama and comedy is needed not documentaries about Cornwall or stuff for oaps.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except you don't post the facts, do you? You cherry pick to suit your argument. Where, for example, have you highlighted that Law and Order beat the BBC's flagship The White Queen? Or have I missed that? Where have you posted that ITV's most popular drama, Coronation Street, is up year-on-year? Or have I missed that, too? And might it be a little more honest of you to include the time-shift viewers?

ITV's profits are up. ITV's shares are up. And nothing you post in this sorry excuse for a thread can change that, no matter how much it sticks in your craw.

I know we shouldn't feed trolls - and, by God, doesn't this thread prove you're one - but your misrepresentations really do need to be countered.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Clearly 1.4m watched the documentary. Even your phrasing is sloppy. Put more effort in if you want to move up to senior troll school.
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Clearly 1.4m watched the documentary. Even your phrasing is sloppy. Put more effort in if you want to move up to senior troll school.

:D

If he is anything to go by, ITV needs to get its highest ever ratings for its flagship shows for the crisis to stop... :rolleyes:

X Factor has a huge amount of momentum leading up to the new series, ITV clearly have made a huge effort compared with the last few series so should get a sizeable audience and hold it. No reason to suggest why the dramas should be down year-on-year.

As I mentioned this morning, just because of a few poor ratings in ITV's schedule, it doesn't mean they are in a crisis. It's not like Corrie is at EastEnders levels, is it? Law & Order didn't do as well as previous series but its still far from being axed. And ITV have a daytime hit in the form of The Chase (well, not in this moment in time).

The moderators should close this thread as it is unconstructive, and the OP is very clearly trolling.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't this thread go? It's not even factually accurate most of the time. This year ITV has done quite well and shows like Splash defied the odds and got 5 million viewers and none of their new entertainment shows have gone below 3 million. I know there are some dud factual shows on Tuesday, but this is always a strong night for the BBC, and the daytime shows are fading and creaking with age, but otherwise ITV is doing OK. Also being freed of the FA Cup contract, something they haven't done well, will devote more money to other programmes.
    Now how about such stinkers on BBC One like That Puppet Game Show and Secret Service, not to mention £ 22 million blown on The Voice, which fell way short of expectations.
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Can't this thread go? It's not even factually accurate most of the time. This year ITV has done quite well and shows like Splash defied the odds and got 5 million viewers and none of their new entertainment shows have gone below 3 million. I know there are some dud factual shows on Tuesday, but this is always a strong night for the BBC, and the daytime shows are fading and creaking with age, but otherwise ITV is doing OK. Also being freed of the FA Cup contract, something they haven't done well, will devote more money to other programmes.
    Now how about such stinkers on BBC One like That Puppet Game Show and Secret Service, not to mention £ 22 million blown on The Voice, which fell way short of expectations.

Before Samuel decides to point out that you're wrong, I hope that you mean no new entertainment series has averaged less than 3 million.

Maybe if all of us niggle the moderators, they'll get rid of it.
    Forum Member
    The thing is, who on a warm Thursday evening in some parts wants to watch a programme on Poaching? I think drama and comedy is needed not documentaries about Cornwall or stuff for oaps.
    It was Thursday evening yesterday and drama being shown. But only 2.66million viewers watched Itvs major new drama series Breathless last night, down 800,000 from last week. One of the worst ever ratings for Itv in their history for a new drama episode.

Trevor Macdonald's documentary a couple weeks ago rated better. Just proves that drama does not guarantee ratings, especially on itv these days.
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesus Christ not you again :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesus Christ not you again :eek:

Forgets to mention the awful rating for BBC's Truckers, and the desperate rating for Waterloo Road. I don't even bother responding to the Troll - utterly utterly pointless wasting your time on him.
    Forum Member
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    Forgets to mention the awful rating for BBC's Truckers, and the desperate rating for Waterloo Road. I don't even bother responding to the Troll - utterly utterly pointless wasting your time on him.
    Please stop being so rude. This thread is about Itv not the BBC. Truckers rated badly too but I was replying to that person's post which was talking about Itv showing drama. Truckers wasnt relevant to this conversation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please stop being so rude. This thread is about Itv not the BBC. Truckers rated badly too but I was replying to that person's post which was talking about Itv showing drama. Truckers wasnt relevant to this conversation.

As I said I don't bother responding to you directly - as do many on the Ratings Thread who don't take you seriously. I wonder why! :yawn:
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is about Itv not the BBC

Ah, so that explains all the ITV posts, and no BBC posts! ;) Good to have that clarified after this thread's existence for nearly a decade.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Sorry to bring this down to a base level, but the obvious reason is that ITV is shit. Pure and simple.
    Couldn't that vivid description apply to ALL channels?

For example - after flicking through the pages of the TV guides, I decided tonight to watch youtube on my telly. Watched a re-run of the Monaco GP 1984, followed by peoples amateur films of where I went on my holidays. Much more interesting than anything i could find on "real" TV, ah, without the ads, without the credit squeezing and without someone coming on near the endshouting "NEXT>>>"

TV is dead..:cry:.long live the TV screen for Youtube, Vimeo, Daily Motion......:D
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's back. The thread would have been far more relevant in the noughties, when ITV had the On Digital crisis and then a real lapse in taste on the main channel in the mid and late noughties, but ITV is fighting back. All the talk during the credit crunch of a channel closing and broadcasting hours being slashed came to nothing and ITV has managed to make a comeback with profits up and some decent rating shows.
    If anything, Channel 4 is in crisis with last week's completely tasteless shows about sex and now the latest offering about a nightclub toilets.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It's back. The thread would have been far more relevant in the noughties, when ITV had the On Digital crisis and then a real lapse in taste on the main channel in the mid and late noughties, but ITV is fighting back. All the talk during the credit crunch of a channel closing and broadcasting hours being slashed came to nothing and ITV has managed to make a comeback with profits up and some decent rating shows.
    If anything, Channel 4 is in crisis with last week's completely tasteless shows about sex and now the latest offering about a nightclub toilets.

I have to agree itv has improved a lot , still too many soaps, but some good drama offerings, back into comedy, albeit with mixed success, some decent documentaries, daytime needs to improve, but if I was giving an end of term report I would give them a solid 7 out of 10. Channel 4 has continued to decline over the past 2 years, and just seems to have lost its way, if it continues it will be passed in a few years by channel 5, daytime far too reliant on aged game shows, evenings too dependent on purile "factual" programmes, 5/10