Options

Radio 3 - too much yacking

BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
I like to wake up to Radio 3 because it's relaxing classical music. Every Saturday morning sadly they can't seem to play more than 30 seconds of music before having a five minute yak, play another short song and some more yak yak.

Breakfast on weekdays isn't much better. I want to listen to music not the presenter giving a time check every five minutes.

Comments

• Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,425
    Forum Member
    Bahtat wrote: »
    I like to wake up to Radio 3 because it's relaxing classical music. Every Saturday morning sadly they can't seem to play more than 30 seconds of music before having a five minute yak, play another short song and some more yak yak.

Breakfast on weekdays isn't much better. I want to listen to music not the presenter giving a time check every five minutes.

BBC tends to do more talk rather than be a juke box, commercial stations tend to play more music and less chat.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,412
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Classic FM would be more to your liking. I generally find Radio 3 a bit up itself whereas Classic is a great listen. Especially at this time of year.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,250
    Forum Member
    I gave up on R3 on my drive to work because of the unsuitable music they used to play between 7-9AM. Heavy orchestral works don't really fit this slot and I remember turning the radio on to be greeted by seemingly silence, this went on for a while so I turned up the volume to hear murmuring strings then a huge blast on French horns which really frightened me.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio 6 Music are guilty of this too. Far too much talk considering the name of the station. It wouldn't be so bad if the chat was about music.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio 6 Music are guilty of this too. Far too much talk considering the name of the station. It wouldn't be so bad if the chat was about music.

I think all BBC stations are guilty of this. If I want some chart tunes on in the background i'd rather have Capital, as even with ad-breaks it seems to play more music than Radio 1!
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think all BBC stations are guilty of this. If I want some chart tunes on in the background i'd rather have Capital, as even with ad-breaks it seems to play more music than Radio 1!
    Then listen to Capital then! The BBC is not there to provide background wallpaper. There are enough crappy commercial stations that already provide this.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC's remit is to fill programmes on Radios 3 and 6 Music with presenters' chit-chat, by the same logic, presenters on Today or PM should intersperse the news with stories about their favourite gravy recipes and football commentaries on 5 Live should include updates on the latest episode of The Apprentice. But they don't. Why are people interested in current affairs or sport given more of what they want than people interested in music?
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    If the BBC's remit is to fill programmes on Radios 3 and 6 Music with presenters' chit-chat, by the same logic, presenters on Today or PM should intersperse the news with stories about their favourite gravy recipes and football commentaries on 5 Live should include updates on the latest episode of The Apprentice. But they don't. Why are people interested in current affairs or sport given more of what they want than people interested in music?
    I listen to 6 music all the time and most of the time the chat is about music. Even when it isn't the chat is relevant to the target audience. If I wanted just music I can use Spotify.
  • Options
    Phil DoddPhil Dodd Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not been in a position to listen to Radio 3 in the mornings for decades. Possibly you're talking about Rob Cowan, Presumably he's still producing and presenting his early morning slot ?

But I'd be interested in your comments about turning the situation on its head. Supposing there was no dialogue between the pieces being played. As soon as a heavy orchestral movement finished, a folk song was played; at the end of that a string quartet is broadcast, then an operatic piece.

Apart from not knowing why the pieces were played, or being reminded as to what they were, the whole thing would sound most disjointed in the extreme. Modern technology if left to its own devices, leaves no gap between one stream finishing and the next starting. It can be a bit unnerving on local commercial radio - it would be worse on a national classical channel.

Would you be happy with this, or would you in fact feel that it was a worse situation to having some co-ordination provided as to what is going on ?

You're probably right in what you say - you're the customer, and the customer is always right - but maybe be careful as to how Radio 3 replace it ?
  • Options
    zingzing Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could just put a short gap in. That would work and save all the tacking!
  • Options
    millimole2001millimole2001 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    I like the Radio3 breakfast programme - it has a good community feel to it, with occasionally eccentric tracks being played that wouldn't be heard anywhere else.
    After 9am it goes for a slightly more traditional feel, which is when I tend to tune in to Sunshine Gold!