Options

anyone else's cats go through periods of not speaking to you?

phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
Forum Member
✭✭✭
my cat does this and just won't come up to me at all and wil avoid me like the plague unless im feeding her. she dosn't do this too often but like once or twice a year for like 1 week at a time, it gets quite anoying specialy whne you don't know what you have done to upset them.

Comments

• Options
    micky1micky1 Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has she been spayed? This could be the time of year that she would have been in season. My cat goes odd every year at the beginning of october. Wont come in the house . sleeps in the garden. This lasts about a week then shes back to normal. and Ive always wondered if this is when she would have been having her kittens (if we hadnt spayed her)
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have just been through a period of that. The last couple of nights I have been forgiven (it could be that the nights are colder) and have been presented with a bottom in my face in the early hours of the morning so that I can give her a stroke. I have no idea what sets it off and it is frustrating as I miss having a fluffy bundle leaning against me at night. In the day time, all I get is a claw in my leg when food is required, but apart from that, no other interraction. I have tried asking her what is up, but she won't tell me, although she is now going through a phase of shouting at me at every opportunity and I still have no idea what's up. Funny buggers aren't they :D
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Yes, she had to go to the vets to get her teeth cleaned and ended up getting one extracted, she had 3 lots of anaethestic and sedations. I took her, picked her up etc and she ignored me for nearly a week. She was all over my partner but she completely ignored me. It actually felt quite horrible because normally she waits at the bottom of the stairs by the front door for me to come home from work and she wouldn't come anywhere near me. Of course I am always the bad guy that has to stick her in her basket and take her to the horrible mean vet to get poked and prodded.
  • Options
    bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Yep this happened to me last week. I was having a particularly bad day and one of my 3 wouldn't shut up so I told him if he didn't stop he was being given away. It didn't shut him up but he didn't speak to me for about 3 days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my cat was spayed about 12-13 years ago shes about 15 years old and had a few litters before my mum got her done. since my dog died like 6 years ago she usually sleeps in my room. thats when you know she isnt speeking to me because she won't come in my room and stays down stairs, and if i bring her up shes sits in front of the tv untill i let her out, she still bothers me at feeding time but thats it.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when I wake up during the night, and my little princess isn't snuggled up on my bed or under the duvet. I go and have a quick look for her, and she'll be asleep on the cold kitchen floor or something like that.

I used to get a bit upset, but sometimes, like us, they just want to be on their own, or they don't want to be picked up and fussed etc. But it's always followed by a lovely period when they won't leave you alone and want constant loves :)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bookend never does that with me but Gizmo does, very rarely but when she does the look in her eyes is as much as if she is saying " pi** off you have annoyed me ", and then when she has decided to end her strop she goes overboard with her affection.
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Bookend never does that with me but Gizmo does, very rarely but when she does the look in her eyes is as much as if she is saying " pi** off you have annoyed me ", and then when she has decided to end her strop she goes overboard with her affection.

Bookend....wonderful name for a cat :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bookend....wonderful name for a cat :D:D

my dad used to call my cats bookends because they sat at diffrent ends of the window sill back to back.
  • Options
    MJsDirtyDianaMJsDirtyDiana Posts: 374,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cats are quite forgiving. They are none too impressed with their yearly visit to the vet or their holidays at the cattery! But prawns and chicken soon win them around :)
  • Options
    miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cat goes really moody when the weather's hot. She won't bother coming to say hello to you and constantly wants to go outside. I tend to just ignore her when she's like that and let her get on with it! As soon as it cools down she becomes quite nice again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    No, never. Being careful what I wish for, sometimes I think it would be OK-ish not to have love demanded quite so much!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat spends less time on my lap in the summer and more in the winter -- when it's hard to keep him off. But aside from that, the only time he gets "moody" is when I have visitors.... They break up his all-important routine!
  • Options
    summer_chicksummer_chick Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tried asking her what is up, but she won't tell me, although she is now going through a phase of shouting at me at every opportunity and I still have no idea what's up. Funny buggers aren't they :D
    elliecat wrote: »
    Of course I am always the bad guy that has to stick her in her basket and take her to the horrible mean vet to get poked and prodded.

There really is nothing as bad as "all picture but no sound" from them - they're just so good at it. I love the way they'll deliberately sit near you with their back turned so you can be quite sure that you're in disgrace !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    My cat would do it all the time. In fact, I kinda miss being looked at as if I am actually the scum of the earth. Might be time to get another cat :D
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Winnie only wants anything to do with me when she needs feeding, occasionally she likes her tummy rubbed but that's it. :p

She has a naturally grumpy looking face, bless her.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    micky1 wrote: »
    Has she been spayed? This could be the time of year that she would have been in season. My cat goes odd every year at the beginning of october. Wont come in the house . sleeps in the garden. This lasts about a week then shes back to normal. and Ive always wondered if this is when she would have been having her kittens (if we hadnt spayed her)

Omg my cat is like that :eek: now i know why :o
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Bode (pron Bow Dee) gets the hump whenever he spies a suitcase - it means cattery time for him and we also get the cold shoulder on our return - never lasts for long though.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not very often because they are mainly outside cats and will fluster round me to try and get into the house. But my boy cat did huff with me for a week when I took a baby rabbit he was killing away from him. Everytime time he saw me he cried his head off looking me to give it back.