Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread, Week #29

13»

Comments

• irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of the Irish channels broadcast "in the clear" on 28.2...?
    Yes I know that but they have to be carried with the minimum available package - if you have sky, UPC, eVision and have the minimum package they have to be made available.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Yes I know that but they have to be carried with the minimum available package - if you have sky, UPC, eVision and have the minimum package they have to be made available.

We still don't know if TV3 is actually there yet. What is currently showing on that channel? It was Sky Premiere - however, if it turns out they put it behind a paywall, is there a way for you in Ireland to contact the BAI and report this? It may be worth contacting them early just in case!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    We still don't know if TV3 is actually there yet. What is currently showing on that channel? It was Sky Premiere - however, if it turns out they put it behind a paywall, is there a way for you in Ireland to contact the BAI and report this? It may be worth contacting them early just in case!
    There would have to be an official complaint to the BAI, I think to be fair to TV3 we better hold off on that - when RTÉ tried to put RTÉ2HD behind the paywall the received hundreds of official complaints. I would imagine it would be the same with TV3 if they tried it.

UTVi HD is currently behind the paywall but they have BAI funded programmes in production so that will have to change, certainly for those specific programmes.
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NEW

11.264 H, 27.500, 2/3, DVB-S, QPSK.

"53595"....Showing blank screen.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not free to sit monitoring the beggars all day, but there's been some interest on 12150/12155 in the last half-hour or so. Alongside an Ericsson CP colourbars and tone (with DOG on 12155) we've had ads (not always in line with those on ITV Wales), trails, a floating ITV Cymru Wales screensaver-type logo (which appeared while the broadcast channel was on an ad break), and perhaps most interesting for feedwatchers, an ITV Wales weather forecast on loop complete with VT clock countdown (although the first screening was, for whatever reason, preceded by a random ITV Sport sting). This all comes with the caveat that it could all have changed again since I stepped away from the screen...
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    The European Commission has today started anti-trust proceedings against Sky UK and six Hollywood film studios for "bilaterally agreeing" to restrictions that stop expats and other EU citizens from accessing Sky pay TV content legally, either via satellite or online.
    http://www.a516digital.com/2015/07/ec-puts-sky-and-film-studios-in-firing.html
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/23/media/eu-antitrust-film-studios/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-intl
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-5432_en.htm
    The Commission's investigation, which was opened in January 2014, identified clauses in licensing agreements between the six film studios and Sky UK which require Sky UK to block access to films through its online pay-TV services (so-called "geo-blocking") or through its satellite pay TV services to consumers outside its licensed territory (UK and Ireland).
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    None of the Irish channels broadcast "in the clear" on 28.2...?

That's correct although the RTE radio stations are freely broadcast without encryption as is Dublin-based Newstalk radio. BBC NI, UTV NI and Irish TV are also broadcast without encryption.

The most surprising thing of all is that Ireland's equivalent of BBC Parliament, Oireachtas TV, is fully encrypted even though there aren't really any important rights restrictions involved as far as I can see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's correct although the RTE radio stations are freely broadcast without encryption as is Dublin-based Newstalk radio. BBC NI, UTV NI and Irish TV are also broadcast without encryption.

The most surprising thing of all is that Ireland's equivalent of BBC Parliament, Oireachtas TV, is fully encrypted even though there aren't really any important rights restrictions involved as far as I can see.
    It's a strange one alright with Oireachtas TV, I suppose they just came to the conclusion that they would group all the Irish channels together.

Does anybody know if Oireachtas TV is available on the sky EPG in Northern Ireland?
  • mackersdublinmackersdublin Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    It's a strange one alright with Oireachtas TV, I suppose they just came to the conclusion that they would group all the Irish channels together.

Does anybody know if Oireachtas TV is available on the sky EPG in Northern Ireland?

Not according to http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide when selecting NI
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo, please see your Email.

Thanks.
  • aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Greats HD now TomCruiseHD (304)/331
    Sky Greats now Tom Cruise
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    aberboy wrote: »
    Sky Greats HD now TomCruiseHD (304)/331
    Sky Greats now Tom Cruise

I have no words....Just....Wow!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update

11.553 H, 22.000, 5/6, DVB-S, QPSK.

"55115"....Now testing with video, audio & EPG data for 'Property Show' (different version to that already on Sky EPG 238).

Note 1: Video & audio first appeared on Thursday.

Note 2: EPG data appeared on Friday.

Note 3: I meant to post this info yesterday but forgot.
  • SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digi Man wrote: »
    Update

11.553 H, 22.000, 5/6, DVB-S, QPSK.

"55115"....Now testing with video, audio & EPG data for 'Property Show' (different version to that already on Sky EPG 238).

Note 1: Video & audio first appeared on Thursday.

Note 2: EPG data appeared on Friday.

Note 3: I meant to post this info yesterday but forgot.

Property Show +1? It's one possibility given that this label was, prior to Ramadan TV, occupied by Information TV +1, and Property Show itself replaced one of the Information/Showcase channels. Of course, the alternative is they could just be using PS shows/data they have to hand as a placeholder to keep the slot alive. Either/or.
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Week 30 is now available. Please post your observations here.

The thread will be changed still on a weekly basis, on Thursday this week
    Week 31 will be posted around 30 July and will run for approx 1 week. Sky & Satellite Weekly News Thread week 30 can be found
    Here
This discussion has been closed.