EE: Dean - It's been long enough now!

Comments

• D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We know he's not dead so stop dragging out this ludicrously boring storyline.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what needs to be remembered is that in real life, we would dislike a lot of characters due to their personalities or things they have done. However, soaps make these characters very interesting and watchable. A big example is Partick in Hollyoaks - I hate all that he has done, but he is a fascinating character.
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I think what needs to be remembered is that in real life, we would dislike a lot of characters due to their personalities or things they have done. However, soaps make these characters very interesting and watchable. A big example is Partick in Hollyoaks - I hate all that he has done, but he is a fascinating character.

I agree,
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly!
  • SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05qp2wy

Bit silly of the BBC to leave him off the credits but have a picture of him from next Monday's episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandsss wrote: »
    He's back

Bit silly of the BBC to leave him off the credits but have a picture of him from next Monday's episode.

About time! XD
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sandsss wrote: »
    He's back

About time! XD

Thanks. That's great news. :)

Can't wait until next week now. Hopefully there will be more detailed spoilers in tomorrow's Inside Soap.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have no problem with people thinking nasty characters are well written. I do have a problem with people who express more concern for rapists than their victims, as I believe Lizzie has. One example was when she ignored Linda's distress in an episode and even denied she was upset and then said "Dean looks upset :(" when he looked angry over Shirley not believing his lies. That disturbed me.

As for your posts Lizzie, it's just the same thing over and over again and I can't keep recycling my answers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I have no problem with people thinking nasty characters are well written. I do have a problem with people who express more concern for rapists than their victims, as I believe Lizzie has. One example was when she ignored Linda's distress in an episode and even denied she was upset and then said "Dean looks upset :(" when he looked angry over Shirley not believing his lies. That disturbed me.

As for your posts Lizzie, it's just the same thing over and over again and I can't keep recycling my answers.

I see both sides and at the start did feel for linda but quickly lost interest in her side as it became repetitive up until the reveal. I'm glad her side isn't explored further now and it's high time we see the abusers side because in the past that has never been done. Also the fact I haven't warmed to linda hasn't helped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »

Dean came across as quite emotional to me in that particular episode so I stated my opinion that's all whereas nothing interesting happened with Linda in that episode so I didn't comment on her that's all.

In the JP/Finn case I hated Finn with a passion and had the deepest empathy for JP. In the Frank/Carla case my concern was for Carla because I hated Frank. However, as I have repeatedly said, Dean is not evil and so far has not tried to harm anyone else unlike Frank or Finn. We know the circumstances which have led to Dean being mentally disturbed and we know the chain of events which have led to Dean committing this horrific crime.

Bottom line is I hate what Dean did but care about Dean but you clearly hate Dean so we must agree to differ. End of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see both sides and at the start did feel for linda but quickly lost interest in her side as it became repetitive up until the reveal. I'm glad her side isn't explored further now and it's high time we see the abusers side because in the past that has never been done. Also the fact I haven't warmed to linda hasn't helped.

Thank you Joe. :)
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm interested in Dean as a broken character
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I'm interested in Dean as a broken character

Me too :)
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dean came across as quite emotional to me in that particular episode so I stated my opinion that's all whereas nothing interesting happened with Linda in that episode so I didn't comment on her that's all.

In the JP/Finn case I hated Finn with a passion and had the deepest empathy for JP. In the Frank/Carla case my concern was for Carla because I hated Frank. However, as I have repeatedly said, Dean is not evil and so far has not tried to harm anyone else unlike Frank or Finn. We know the circumstances which have led to Dean being mentally disturbed and we know the chain of events which have led to Dean committing this horrific crime.

Bottom line is I hate what Dean did but care about Dean but you clearly hate Dean so we must agree to differ. End of.

I'm going to stop replying to your posts as they actually make me angry but this for me sums up why they do. How you can "care" about a character who has done something so horrific and shown zero remorse is beyond me.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    http://www.sofeminine.co.uk/eastenders-gossip/eastenders-06-04-the-carters-are-stunned-by-buster-shock-return-s1315829.html

More pics on this article of Dean's return. Any ideas where he has been and what his is comeuppance will be yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to stop replying to your posts as they actually make me angry but this for me sums up why they do. How you can "care" about a character who has done something so horrific and shown zero remorse is beyond me.

Dean isn't a one dimensional purely evil. We've seen other sides to him and can see how mentally unstable he is.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    Buster isn't treating Shirley nicely which is a shame. I'm looking forward for his return.
    Forum Member
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    Buster isn't treating Shirley nicely which is a shame. I'm looking forward for his return.

I got the impression that he does treat her nicely when he returns, he asks her to move away with him, but she does something that he initially blames Mick for before realising it was Shirley, it says he is unhappy because of what Shirley does (whatever that may be) and threatens to leave but realises that his family is the most important thing and stays put. Looks like they reconcile because he stays and attends Stan's wedding with Shirley - before Mick lashes out and they have to leave. TPTB can never make anything easy, can they? I hope he treats Shirley well, not another Phil rehash. :o:D

I'm looking forward to Busters return, I hope we find out if he is a permanent character soon, I am still hoping he will be.

It will be nice to see Mick and Shirley reconciling, even if it is only for a brief period, Stan's death is going to be heartbreaking.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    I got the impression that he does treat her nicely when he returns, he asks her to move away with him, but she does something that he initially blames Mick for before realising it was Shirley, it says he is unhappy because of what Shirley does (whatever that may be) and threatens to leave but realises that his family is the most important thing and stays put. Looks like they reconcile because he stays and attends Stan's wedding with Shirley - before Mick lashes out and they have to leave. TPTB can never make anything easy, can they? :o:D

I'm looking forward to Busters return, I hope we find out if he is a permanent character soon, I am still hoping he will be.

It will be nice to see Mick and Shirley reconciling, even if it is only for a brief period, Stan's death is going to be heartbreaking.
    It seems likely that Buster have been out of prison for a while but he doesn't tell Shirley? Also Buster is threatening to leave without Shirley which is why I didn't like it. I hope Buster isn't another Phil type character who will treat Shirley badly. I'd like to think that Buster is back for good because it says that Buster decides to stay in Walford.

I'm over the moon that Shirley will be with Stan when he passes away. She really does love her father and it's going to be moving when Stan passes away. I'm a bit annoyed that Jim's death will be revealed next week but it's overkill. I wish they wouldn't reveal Jim's death next week because it's going to be all about Stan next week.

I'm expecting some powerhouse performances from Linda Henry and Timothy West just before Stan passes away.

Oh I noticed that Phil and Shirley will have a scene next Monday :D - and I wonder if they are gonna continue the Phil/Shirley storyline :D. Go on Shirley, just walk away from Phil :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems likely that Buster have been out of prison for a while but he doesn't tell Shirley? Also Buster is threatening to leave without Shirley which is why I didn't like it. I hope Buster isn't another Phil type character who will treat Shirley badly. I'd like to think that Buster is back for good because it says that Buster decides to stay in Walford.

I'm over the moon that Shirley will be with Stan when he passes away. She really does love her father and it's going to be moving when Stan passes away. I'm a bit annoyed that Jim's death will be revealed next week but it's overkill. I wish they wouldn't reveal Jim's death next week because it's going to be all about Stan next week.

I'm expecting some powerhouse performances from Linda Henry and Timothy West just before Stan passes away.

Oh I noticed that Phil and Shirley will have a scene next Monday :D - and I wonder if they are gonna continue the Phil/Shirley storyline :D. Go on Shirley, just walk away from Phil :D

I do agree two similar deaths of a family patriarch is overkill. Jim should of been killed of sooner or later imo or instead of the pathetic fire storyline for the carters live week stan should of died them.
    Forum Member

I wondered that too, if he is out of prison, why wouldn't he have contacted Shirley after asking her to wait for him and why wouldn't Shirley attempt to contact him, she knew his release date, surely? Unless he has only just got out? Seems likely he and Dean have been hauled up together, but Buster refused to see Dean, so how does that work? Hopefully it will all be explained.

I didn't like that bit either, but I guess it depends on what Shirley does, it says he is unhappy about something she does and therefore threatens to leave by himself - whereas Phil treated Shirley badly for no reason, if that makes sense? Hopefully it will play out better than it sounds, it says he realises what is important and stays - so looks like it is just a blip, hopefully! I would hope TPTB wouldn't put us through a Phil rehash, and instead give Shirley a bit of happiness for a change! I liked her and Buster as a pairing from the scenes in Nov.

I am too, the final scene between Shirley and Stan alone is going to be emotional. Linda Henry and Tim West are going to astound, I'm sure of it. I've enjoyed seeing the relationship between Shirley and Stan develop and I'll miss their scenes.

Yes, I can see why they are coinciding the deaths of both Jim and Stan, the parallel between the families but ideally they should have been done separately, both characters deserve a big send off without one over shadowing the other, esp Jim. Jim's funeral looks like it will be a big ep though and a fitting tribute.

I noticed that there was a Phil and Shirley scene, I think they will continue to have scenes where they are either sparring, bantering or giving each other tough advice, I don't mind them having scenes, so long as Shirley isn't falling at Phil's feet! :o:D

BIB: I hope so. I just hope that Buster wasn't cast purely as a plot device to facilitate Dean's exit. I really want him to stay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dean isn't a one dimensional purely evil. We've seen other sides to him and can see how mentally unstable he is.

Well said Joe. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If everyone felt the way you did;

There would be no restorative justice
    There would be no rehabilitation
    There would be no criminology degrees
    There would be no early release for prisoners who behaved well and/or showed guilt and remorse.

While I admit Dean has so far shown no guilt, that is because he doesn't think he's done anything wrong. He is delusional. Does an erotomanic stalker show guilt over stalking his victim? No. Why? Because he doesn't think he's done anything wrong. Yet from what I understand medical treatment is now being offered to stalkers.

Before the rape of Linda, Dean was guilty only of lying as a teenager which is idiotic more than anything. While rape is a horrific action and in an ideal world all rapists would be punished, Dean has not been written as an evil, one dimensional villain. We have been shown different sides to his character which enable some viewers/posters to care about the character even if we cannot condone the character's actions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If everyone felt the way you did;

There would be no restorative justice
    There would be no rehabilitation
    There would be no criminology degrees
    There would be no early release for prisoners who behaved well and/or showed guilt and remorse.

While I admit Dean has so far shown no guilt, that is because he doesn't think he's done anything wrong. He is delusional. Does an erotomanic stalker show guilt over stalking his victim? No. Why? Because he doesn't think he's done anything wrong. Yet from what I understand medical treatment is now being offered to stalkers.

Before the rape of Linda, Dean was guilty only of lying as a teenager which is idiotic more than anything. While rape is a horrific action and in an ideal world all rapists would be punished, Dean has not been written as an evil, one dimensional villain. We have been shown different sides to his character which enable some viewers/posters to care about the character even if we cannot condone the character's actions.

Agreed: I also think matts acting has been outstanding during the storyline and it would be a shame to let talent like that do to waste for the sake of a storyline. Dean is a very instead sting character. He would be a Tyler clone of he didn't have the dark mental unstable side but he certainly isn't pure evil. He has many dimensions which we haven't seen with other rapists as its a character we've gotten to know before the rape and know his backstory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed: I also think matts acting has been outstanding during the storyline and it would be a shame to let talent like that do to waste for the sake of a storyline. Dean is a very instead sting character. He would be a Tyler clone of he didn't have the dark mental unstable side but he certainly isn't pure evil. He has many dimensions which we haven't seen with other rapists as its a character we've gotten to know before the rape and know his backstory.

Thanks Joe, I agree.

Could you clarify what the bit in bold means?

Edit - I think you mean a very interesting character?