Options

3D films thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the BBC keeping the BBC HD channel when BBC2 HD launches ?. Just thinking where they plan to show their 3D content if they ditch the BBC HD channel.
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Are the BBC keeping the BBC HD channel when BBC2 HD launches ?. Just thinking where they plan to show their 3D content if they ditch the BBC HD channel.

As far as I know when and if BBC2HD launches then BBCHD will disappear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    As far as I know when and if BBC2HD launches then BBCHD will disappear.

So where does that leave their 3D content then ?. Not that there's much
  • Options
    methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member

Something makes me think the BBC aren't overly interested in3D
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hobbit most likely :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Have looked at the responses from the BBC on various websites it seems they have a 'lukewarm' reception to broadcasting in 3D. Saying not many people are responding to the uptake of 3D has to be argued. If there is low content to choose from, why buy a 3dTV?

I agree, that certain programmes would benefit from the option of being able to view in stereoscopic like wildlife or sports.

More content, more choice for the consumer. You wouldn't sell DVD players without making DVD's!
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw in 3d Christina Lindberg ('the girl with the golden breasts') in a film in a London back street once. Most of it was in 2D but when she took off her top it switched to 3d and we all rushed to put on the glasses. I can not remember the title and I doubt if it will come up on TV.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_Young wrote: »
    Have looked at the responses from the BBC on various websites it seems they have a 'lukewarm' reception to broadcasting in 3D. Saying not many people are responding to the uptake of 3D has to be argued. If there is low content to choose from, why buy a 3dTV?

I agree, that certain programmes would benefit from the option of being able to view in stereoscopic like wildlife or sports.

More content, more choice for the consumer. You wouldn't sell DVD players without making DVD's!

I think the problem is that the BBC don't appear to actually promote their own 3D programmes strongly enough when they show them. There's been times when something in 3D has been broadcast but I've missed it because I wasn't made aware that they were broadcasting something in 3D.

And also as you mention, how on earth can they expect anything other than a lukewarm response when they hardly ever create the 3D content in the first place?

There's hardly been anything made in 3D for BBC HD. They have to actually make the content in the first place if they want people to watch it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the problem is that the BBC don't appear to actually promote their own 3D programmes strongly enough when they show them. There's been times when something in 3D has been broadcast but I've missed it because I wasn't made aware that they were broadcasting something in 3D.

And also as you mention, how on earth can they expect anything other than a lukewarm response when they hardly ever create the 3D content in the first place?

There's hardly been anything made in 3D for BBC HD. They have to actually make the content in the first place if they want people to watch it.

Just found this:

Mr Stink - cast of Hugh Bonneville, David Walliams, Sheridan Smith, Johnny Vegas and Pudsey the dog star in this magical, heart-warming and funny tale, adapted from David Walliams’ best-selling children’s book.

Mr Stink will also be shown in 3D on the BBC HD channel - the first time the BBC has filmed a narrative programme in 3D.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody edited my post above to insert a link to a husky sled ride. It made it look as though I had done it.

How was it done, and why? Surely people should not be able to do that sort of thing? My post was meant to be amusing amn was not a bad effort, and was spoilt by somebody.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Somebody edited my post above to insert a link to a husky sled ride. It made it look as though I had done it.

How was it done, and why? Surely people should not be able to do that sort of thing? My post was meant to be amusing amn was not a bad effort, and was spoilt by somebody.

Which post are you referring to?
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    That would surprise me.

Spookily, at the moment BBC HD is showing a repeat of Planet Dinosaur 3D from 2.20pm- 3.15pm on Christmas Day!!

Competing for the 3D audience.

I wonder if they'll be showing the 3D version of The Queen's Speech? Sky have said they are happy to make it available to the BBC if they want it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if they'll be showing the 3D version of The Queen's Speech? Sky have said they are happy to make it available to the BBC if they want it.

I can't see them not doing so really
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't find where I read it, but the BBC did say they would be prepared to "hijack" BBC Two HD for 3D content if required. They have been testing a "watch in 2D" red button app for Freeview and Freesat, but so far it only works on the live transmissions, not on recordings. And not at all on Sky / Virgin.

They also have iPlayer and have even said they would consider launching a temporary 3D channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't find where I read it, but the BBC did say they would be prepared to "hijack" BBC Two HD for 3D content if required. They have been testing a "watch in 2D" red button app for Freeview and Freesat, but so far it only works on the live transmissions, not on recordings. And not at all on Sky / Virgin.

They also have iPlayer and have even said they would consider launching a temporary 3D channel.

Yes, i read that somewhere today that they have tested the iplayer and that they are test bedding some content in 3D.

I think it also said they would be prepared to launch a temp 3D channel for future test scope if needed.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »

Now I'm curious.

I don't see anything like that in your other post.
    Are you sure that's what happened?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, i read that somewhere today that they have tested the iplayer and that they are test bedding some content in 3D.

I think it also said they would be prepared to launch a temp 3D channel for future test scope if needed.

3D content on iPlayer would be good. I wish Sky would do the same with their on demand service. I know the file sizes would be large but worth it for many 3D viewers.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw 'Life of Pi' in 3D at a Sky preview last night. It was my first 3D film and I found the glasses an irritation after 2 hours.
    The film's bound to get a few Oscars for the CGI and 'special effects' but they didn't disguise the thin nature of the film's plot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John Dough wrote: »
    I saw 'Life of Pi' in 3D at a Sky preview last night. It was my first 3D film and I found the glasses an irritation after 2 hours.
    The film's bound to get a few Oscars for the CGI and 'special effects' but they didn't disguise the thin nature of the film's plot.

Yes, they recently admitted that the film itself would have had a very slim plot if it was not for the 3D aspect in some of the effects.

Just added on the 3D Facebook page:

Angry Birds 3D new film in 2016
    New feature trailer for Superman Man of Steel

Your welcome to join at: https://www.facebook.com/films3d
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have ITV done anything in 3D or stated any interest in showing anything? What about Channel 4?

PJ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Have ITV done anything in 3D or stated any interest in showing anything? What about Channel 4?

PJ

The last time Channel 4 did anything in 3D was in 2009 but this was with the old anaglyph system using the Amber and Blue ColourCode 3D glasses. ITV - not sure they have transmitted anything, but if anyone else knows!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last time Channel 4 did anything in 3D was in 2009 but this was with the old anaglyph system using the Amber and Blue ColourCode 3D glasses. ITV - not sure they have transmitted anything, but if anyone else knows!

ITV did have the 3D rights to last years Rugby World Cup, and were rumoured to have a satellite channel in testing, but the host broadcaster cancelled the 3D production due to cost concerns, so it never happened.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ColorCode is an abomination seemingly designed to put people off 3D. Even red/green anaglyph with a b+w picture is better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah i have watched some good 3D videos on Vimeo in black n white and some have some good depth to them.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah i have watched some good 3D videos on Vimeo in black n white and some have some good depth to them.

Check out the Blu-Ray of "The Creature from the Black Lagoon".
    It's in glorious b+w, stereoscopic 3D and in its original widescreen format. Probably the best version you can get unless/until someone releases a new Polaroid print in cinemas.:cool: