Options

EE: Dean - It's been long enough now!

Comments

• Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    I think Matt's done a great job playing Dean. I'm looking forward to his and Buster's return. Love the Carters (well not Linda and Tina), but the rest of them.

Completely agree. Although I don't mind Tina. :)
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Completely agree. Although I don't mind Tina. :)

I don't mind her in small doses, but I think she's had far too much airtime, as has Linda.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't mind her in small doses, but I think she's had far too much airtime, as has Linda.

I would agree with that. Esp Linda, tbh. I adore Shirley, Stan and Babe though. And I think Matt DA is doing a good job considering the path Dean has been taken down, I don't think he is as bad as he is made out to be.

Edit: I mean the actor isn't as bad as he is made out to be. :blush:
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I I think Matt DA is doing a good job considering the path Dean has been taken down, I don't think he is as bad as he is made out to be.

I agree
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is a vile character but a very interesting and watchable one. Also the story needs closure and for that deans whereabouts have to be known. I think his mental health should be looked at tbh.
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I think that's definitely the case. Dean loves his grampa, so he's obviously a decent person *eyeroll*

I hope he comes back, confesses and finally goes to prison. I've heard he won't go to jail though, so maybe he'll receive psychiatric treatment?

"Decent" isn't the right word given that Dean committed a horrific and barbaric crime, but as we have seen he is capable of love (Denise, Stan, Shirley, even Stacey and Lily while he was dating Stacey) so he is not evil. I do agree with Joe about Dean being interesting and watchable and I too would like his mental health explored as he obviously has issues. He needs psychiatric treatment, though in an ideal world he would have been punished by serving prison time too.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Decent" isn't the right word given that Dean committed a horrific and barbaric crime, but as we have seen he is capable of love (Denise, Stan, Shirley, even Stacey and Lily while he was dating Stacey) so he is not evil. I do agree with Joe about Dean being interesting and watchable and I too would like his mental health explored as he obviously has issues. He needs psychiatric treatment, though in an ideal world he would have been punished by serving prison time too.

Thanks Lizzie :)

Can anyone else see any one else doing brilliant ACTING in such a sensitive rape seen. I certainly can't see Shane Ritchie, tony disincline, Jamie borthwick and a lot of other past and present male characters doing so. It's such an imtimitading storyline and Matt really pulled it out of the bag. The fact his character is hated proves it. Others o think can't stand him because he's good looking and therefore can't be a good actor.

Also I agree he is not evil. He really loved stacey and saw a future and he managed to move on and he cared for lilly too which was sweet. His mental health reasoning and his reactions to abandonment also shows that he isn't really evil but just unstable. All he needs is treatment and a stable life. I can't see mick forgiving him at all but linda possibly might if she understood and help her move on and let go of it and be at peace. He should serve some time but their is no longer any evidence to do that now. Whatever way Matt is a brilliant actor and has stepped up the plate. Some characters don't work as criminal villain character to hate like alfie but Dean, Janine, Phil do work that way.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can anyone else see any one else doing brilliant ACTING in such a sensitive rape seen. I certainly can't see Shane Ritchie, tony disincline, Jamie borthwick and a lot of other past and present male characters doing so. It's such an imtimitading storyline and Matt really pulled it out of the bag. The fact his character is hated proves it. Others o think can't stand him because he's good looking and therefore can't be a good actor.

Also I agree he is not evil. He really loved stacey and saw a future and he managed to move on and he cared for lilly too which was sweet. His mental health reasoning and his reactions to abandonment also shows that he isn't really evil but just unstable. All he needs is treatment and a stable life. I can't see mick forgiving him at all but linda possibly might if she understood and help her move on and let go of it and be at peace. He should serve some time but their is no longer any evidence to do that now. Whatever way Matt is a brilliant actor and has stepped up the plate. Some characters don't work as criminal villain character to hate like alfie but Dean, Janine, Phil do work that way.

Couldn't agree more great post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I'm sure the Dean story will be brought up again once Mick returns from his break. Give them a chance - they're only just starting to show things which were filmed post-live, with the Beales having just returned (and that seems pretty quick considering they're usually 6 weeks ahead if I'm right?). I'm sure they'll get round to the Carter storyline soon enough, and then people will once again be complaining that there's too much Carter stuff going on!
    I appreciate the block storytelling isn't ideal, but it has only been just over a month, which isn't bad for a general soap storyline, let alone one having to deal with live week and aftermath.
    I agree that Matt has been great as Dean this time round. It's been full on, but certainly a more interesting direction to take the character.
  • Options
    fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL NO, he really isnt:D

Stop being so childish. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

curvybabes wrote: »

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure I have the same level of empathy with Janine as I have with Dean and Phil's just usually a bore, though he has his moments like when he was there for Ian after Lucy died but I agree about Dean.
  • Options
    ALowsleyALowsley Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Matt's done a great job playing Dean. I'm looking forward to his and Buster's return. Love the Carters (well not Linda and Tina), but the rest of them.
    Even though the Carters are very overused and pointless, I am looking forward to see Buster and Dean again. Apparently Karl Howman is only back for a short stint and he's not permanent. I don't think Matt Di Angelo is back for good. I'm one of the minority who likes Dean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys.

I'm not sure I have the same level of empathy with Janine as I have with Dean and Phil's just usually a bore, though he has his moments like when he was there for Ian after Lucy died but I agree about Dean.

They are love to hate characters and work well that way with how they are portrayed. Phil I agree is a bore but he's still really popular. Dean won't be liked as a person again but of the mental health is taken we could sympathise like we have with Janine. We have seen him on screen as more then just a rapist like with graham so he could become more like a Janine and become a love to hate character with how he is portrayed.

I like phils softer side and it needs to be shown more. His hardman has become boring and the man is aging. Also she doesn't want to push ben away now with kathy on her way back when he learns ben is gay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ALowsley wrote: »
    Even though the Carters are very overused and pointless, I am looking forward to see Buster and Dean again. Apparently Karl Howman is only back for a short stint and he's not permanent. I don't think Matt Di Angelo is back for good. I'm one of the minority who likes Dean.

Where is it said he's only a short stint?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »

Why thank you curvybabes :)

...I should really try to figure out multi quoting :P
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where is it said he's only a short stint?

I was told by a Metro writer that he was only back for a short stint, initially. But I can't say how reliable this particular writer is. I had wondered whether, if he does disappear again, it may be with Shirley to cover the absence of Linda Henry during/after her trial. Am I right in thinking that Shirley would have had to have been written out for a bit in case LH's trial hadn't gone in her favour? Hopefully the key word is 'initially' and he will become a permanent fixture. I like Buster and I liked Buster and Shirley. It would also be interesting to explore more about Buster's past, and see him with Shirley, Dean and Mick. As well as seeing where he fits into the square dynamic as a character in his own right. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told by a Metro writer that he was only back for a short stint, initially. But I can't say how reliable this particular writer is. I had wondered whether, if he does disappear again, it may be with Shirley to cover the absence of Linda Henry during/after her trial. Am I right in thinking that Shirley would have had to have been written out for a bit in case LH's trial hadn't gone in her favour? Hopefully the key word is 'initially' and he will become a permanent fixture. I like Buster and I liked Buster and Shirley. It would also be interesting to explore more about Buster's past, and see him with Shirley, Dean and Mick. As well as seeing where he fits into the square dynamic as a character in his own right. :)

I don't care about the character yet but if he does go again then what was the point about bigging up a feud with Phil especially if it never happens?
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please stop telling me that Dean is not evil. We have had this conversion over and over again. I've never once said he's evil, but you keep telling me he's not evil. I know he's not and I've told you that I don't think he's evil before.

There is a huge gap between a bad person and an evil person. Unlike you, I don't believe some rapists can be "morally good", but that doesn't mean I'm calling him evil. He's just a scummy person who disgusts me and needs punishing.
  • Options
    TommyGiffenTommyGiffen Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Noush wrote: »
    I hope they are not going to drag the "where is Dean storyline " out for much longer. I really hate it when they let things go on for so long! The Lucy Beale murder was a flippin joke! Sometimes I wonder why I watch EE....it has been so boring of late.

Does anyone know where Dean is or what happens?

He will be back onscreen 6th April
  • Options
    Kevin_McGrathKevin_McGrath Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like us to hear he's off in New Zealand, and out of the way for good.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what he has been living on, unless he has been leeching off Carly
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Please stop telling me that Dean is not evil. We have had this conversion over and over again. I've never once said he's evil, but you keep telling me he's not evil. I know he's not and I've told you that I don't think he's evil before.

There is a huge gap between a bad person and an evil person. Unlike you, I don't believe some rapists can be "morally good", but that doesn't mean I'm calling him evil. He's just a scummy person who disgusts me and needs punishing.

they are all blinded by his pretty face. thats why hes excused for raping somone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't care about the character yet but if he does go again then what was the point about bigging up a feud with Phil especially if it never happens?

Exactly. It would be nonsensical, that's why I am hoping that if it is a short stint this time, that he will come back permanently after. Buster has a potential feud with Phil, 2 sons on the square with Shirley, potential relationship with Shirley, grandchildren and then there is Roya - who is still a secret. He has so many links that I hope he hasn't just been brought in short-term. His intiall BBC article said KH 'joins' not 'appears' or 'guest stars' so I hope he will be full-time, now or eventually.
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Dean's been off-screen for so long that I don't care about him raping Linda anymore.

This could be partly why he's been gone so long? To make any other outcome than prison seem more feasible?

To be honest I had more or less forgotten about him - except in regard to Shabnam. So perhaps there'll be a Dean vs Kush storyline, the latter trying to protect her?

Well, it's a slow Sunday afternoon, so you'll have to forgive me.......I hope :D
  • Options
    ICON111ICON111 Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh I haven't missed Dean at all. This whole mystery over his disappearance is boring and stale. I wouldn't care less if he left permanently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He will be back onscreen 6th April

Digiguide had him credited for 3rd April but then took him off, don't know if that was a mistake on their part or whether it's too keep his return a surprise. I am interested mainly in Shirley, Denise and Buster finding out what he did and what the satisfying conclusion is. It's a shame they made Dean a rapist.