Options

New Xbox and New Playstation

Comments

• Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It barely feels like the current generation has really got going yet and already we have people eagerly awaiting new hardware.
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, i'm excited to see what happens. I still don't have an Xbox One or PS4 yet, i was going to get an Xbox One this week but i have decided to wait and see what is going to happen at E3 first. If an upgraded console is announced, i'll probably wait it out and get that when it comes out. As long as all models play new and old games then i am all for upgradable consoles, it's pretty much a deal breaker for me.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but Xbox One is only 2 1/2 years old at the moment. To announce a successor at E3, with an 18 month lead time feels wrong. It could absolutely decimate the current Xbox market unless they

a) have given up on it and don't care, or
    b) are going to reposition Xbox as a budget console to drive sales.

If it was just an incremental update, with forward and backwards compatibility assured, I would agree with you. But the suggested power gap makes this feel like a whole new generation.

They might not announce it at E3 though. My guess, and that's all it is, is that they announce an Xbox One Slim this E3 for release pretty much straight away, that will take care of the short term, and then the new Xbox at next years E3 for release in the Autumn 2017. We'll find out one way or another soon enough.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snafu65 wrote: »
    They might not announce it at E3 though. My guess, and that's all it is, is that they announce an Xbox One Slim this E3 for release pretty much straight away, that will take care of the short term, and then the new Xbox at next years E3 for release in the Autumn 2017. We'll find out one way or another soon enough.

Agreed, that's the point I was making. The timing doesn't feel right for all of this.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont think they can wait that long if sony is going to announce the neo at this years E3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless Neo is releasing this Summer I don't think that will be at E3 either for the same reason I can't see MS announcing Scorpio yet, it will affect sales of the current consoles.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    i dont think they can wait that long if sony is going to announce the neo at this years E3

But this is the awkward thing for MS because of there conference always being before Sony they have to make an educated guess what the competition will say and try to counter that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think they both get announced this E3 the neo for october release theyve already said all games from october have to have a neo mode so october makes too much sence

i suspect microsoft announce the slim and the scorpio this E3 they dont want to be playing catchup with sony and leaving people in the dark about there plans thinking they will be even more behind. if they announce this E3 a console more powerful than the neo it makes the neo look inferior
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think they both get announced this E3 the neo for october release theyve already said all games from october have to have a neo mode so october makes too much sence

i suspect microsoft announce the slim and the scorpio this E3 they dont want to be playing catchup with sony and leaving people in the dark about there plans thinking they will be even more behind. if they announce this E3 a console more powerful than the neo it makes the neo look inferior

Assuming Scorpio is this 6TF of a beast machine, I can't see it having a 2016 release. It would be way too expensive and do little to boost Xbox's user base. An Autumn 2017 launch feels right, which is too far away risk an announcement this year without harming current Xbox One sales (unless they slash the price with a slim model to counter the effects)

Likewise, with PS Neo. Assuming an October release, announcing it now could kill off PS4 sales for the next 4 months. So, unless they're going to pull a surprise launch (what's the point when there's no enhanced software ready) they might as well keep it under wraps until September.

It could go either way, but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear nothing about either machine at E3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you cant just announce a console and have it come out next week that would hurt sales of the new console because theyve had no time to hype it up. yes it will hurt ps4 sales but your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you cant just announce a console and have it come out next week that would hurt sales of the new console because theyve had no time to hype it up. yes it will hurt ps4 sales but your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont

Ordinarily, I would agree. If this was a new generational leap then yes, they need to build hype and hit the ground running to get both consumers and publishers on board. But this is an incremental step. They are already selling PS4 hardware and PS4 software. I just think that by announcing too soon they would have more to lose than they would to gain as people hold off on a purchase.

Look at the mobile phone market as a comparison. Everyone knows iPhone 7 is coming, but there's no way Apple are going to even acknowledge it until the very last moment. I think Sony will follow the same model.

It's what the console makers tend to do with slim variants after all.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed it's too early to announce at E3 - maybe for Neo, definitely for Scorpio.

Maybe they'll announce at gamescom in August, or maybe even just each have their own special press event later...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew House has confirmed the existence of PS Neo in an interview with the Financial Times, saying the “high-end PS4” would be more expensive than the standard version.

And, as some of us predicted, it will NOT revealed at E3.
    “It is intended to sit alongside and complement the standard PS4,” he said. “We will be selling both [versions] through the life cycle.”

The new console, which is codenamed “Neo”, will target hardcore gamers, he said, as well as consumers with a 4K television set looking for more high-resolution content.
    However, in a move that may disappoint some fans, Mr House said that Sony would not be unveiling its new console next week and refused to say when or at what price the unit would go on sale. “We want to ensure we have a full range of the best experiences on the new system that we can showcase in their entirety,” he said.

Nonetheless, he downplayed concerns that the move would cause interoperability problems between the old and new PS4 hardware.

“All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4,” he said.

So there we have it. A premium system for those that want to upgrade, while standard PS4 remains key focus and continues as normal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knew it wouldn't be at E3, seems Sony wants to try and keep current PS4 owners sweet by making it's release as low key as possible.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    So it probably means it will be announced next week, and the press release just keeps Microsoft guessing...lol
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    “All games will support the standard PS4 and we anticipate all or a very large majority of games will also support the high-end PS4,”

Just as i thought would happen. Now nobody really has a reason to worry or complain. You can either stick to the PS4 you have, or upgrade to the newer version to get the best out of these games.

I personally think this is a great move for console gaming. It's much better than getting a slim model half way through a consoles life that has very little upgrades.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it probably means it will be announced next week, and the press release just keeps Microsoft guessing...lol

Doubt it, Sony has already caused a shit storm merely by confirming it, if they show it at E3 after saying they wouldn't the internet would explode! lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they want to concentrate on VR at E3. would microsoft now not talk about the scorpio?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they want to concentrate on VR at E3. would microsoft now not talk about the scorpio?

Tough call. They need something to stir up some momentum for the Xbox brand, because whatever they try on the software side just doesn't seem to be doing it for them.

I think they'll reference it, perhaps briefly lay out their plans for "an evolving Xbox platform" and "embracing new technology" such as VR. Maybe even some outlandish tech demo showing what the future holds.

But a full Scorpio reveal, with playable hardware, dates and prices? I really don't think so.

I think we'll see Xbox One S, Xbox TV (some sort of TV <-> PC bridge) and Xbox OS fully integrated into Win 10 PCs.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the 14nm architecture coming out this year which offers almost twice the power at the same size and similar price means the massive leap in performance that Microsoft and Sony obviously want to get on straight away

14nm has been used for yonks and the lithography doesn't in anyway make things more powerful, if its the same chip then its just the same chip but more efficient and smaller, the main benefit is more chips per wafer which lowers costs.

Now AMD has finally caught up with the rest of the world and got round to 14nm the fact is the improvements being made to the Jaguar core could have been done regardless of 14nm or not, a small CPU clock bump and extra compute units have nothing to do with lithography.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So there we have it. A premium system for those that want to upgrade, while standard PS4 remains key focus and continues as normal.
    I'm guessing the PS4.5 will be at least $100 more than the PS4, more likely $150. Enough to put people off upgrading their existing boxes unless they really want to. They are capturing the consumer surplus. This also means the installed base for the PS4.5 will remain a tiny fraction of the PS4 for years, which will help ensure developers continue to support the PS4 as it's what most of their customers will have for the foreseeable future.
    My impression from the leaks is that Microsoft's plans are less advanced than Sony's, so they'll have even less to say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    I'm guessing the PS4.5 will be at least $100 more than the PS4, more likely $150. Enough to put people off upgrading their existing boxes unless they really want to. They are capturing the consumer surplus. This also means the installed base for the PS4.5 will remain a tiny fraction of the PS4 for years, which will help ensure developers continue to support the PS4 as it's what most of their customers will have for the foreseeable future.

Agreed. They've said PS4Neo will be profitable at launch, there's less incentive to be price sensitive with this model and there needs to be a clear distinction between the 2 variants, so a $500+ price tag isn't out of the question or indeed unreasonable if it does include UHD Blu-ray playback.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe not Scorpio but an XB1 slim is a real possibility, there could even be one of those shipping now announcements like they did with the XBOX360 "S" model in 2010.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Maybe not Scorpio but an XB1 slim is a real possibility, there could even be one of those shipping now announcements like they did with the XBOX360 "S" model in 2010.

Probably announcing a new lower starting price at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Amazon seem to have had a few Xbox One deals running recently. Could be clearing stocks ready for an imminent slim model.
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Probably announcing a new lower starting price at the same time.

They could drop Kinect input and HDMI-in if they really wanted to. Would help cut costs even further and wouldn't exactly be missed by many. They could even stand to lose a USB socket if they went with a removable HDD.