Claims Sky 3D TV making customers feel queasy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It follows claims of dizziness and disorientation as well as headaches and double vision.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1379234/Claims-Sky-3D-TV-makes-viewers-feel-queasy-prompts-broadcaster-investigation.html

"Children’s eyesight is developing rapidly from birth, reaching normal vision around the age of five or six; although new research shows that children’s eyesight can remain flexible beyond this- so use of 3D technology under the age of six should be monitored carefully"

Is it safe to use long term and is it all just a fad?

Comments

• packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the Daily Mail - so a nonsense load of rubbish story.Their may be some truth in Sky reviewing 3D but then good ole Daily Mail twisted and turned the story around as usual...
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a lot of truth in what is being said - and in the ligitigous USA all adverts for 3D TV have an "Under fives warning".
    For Blueray there is the additional issue that the Left and Right eye images are not of the same quality ...

Technically there are many issues around your eyes being forced to focus on the plane of the screen but converge on the object in front or behind - and how shot changes can confuse you ..
    and how if everything is not set right in the shooting rig - the discrepancies between images cause you not to fuse the image... and make your Brain work hard .
    It is not all plain sailing....
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think there is a lot of concern in Mainland Europe over 'too much' 3D tv, we have family in France who have read about headaches and dizziness in their papers too

Maybe a film at 90 mins is OK, but to exceed say 2hrs has it's problems ?
  • CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i watched about half an hour of a movie in 3d and i started getting really bad headaches and felt VERY uncomfortable!
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    This is because it isn't 3D, it's stereoscopic, and it confuses the bits of your brain that deal with focussing. For some (many?) people the adjustment isn't too difficult, but like seasickness (which has similar causes) some people just get very unwell. It does seem likely to be just a fad, though, I know people who went to the cinema to see "3D" films, but I don't know anyone who's bothered to buy a "3D" TV. It may never be sufficiently successful commercially for this to be a real problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very soon there will be at least two Adult Channles going 3D soon. So the viewer's eyesight will be in double dannger not mention having to duck down whenever the bloke turns around or the woman's top deck is bouncing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish!
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,446
    Forum Member
    I've had my 3D TV since last June and wearing active shutter glasses, i've had no problems at all.
    Ian.
  • CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ the whole world knows by now.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I've had my 3D TV since last June and wearing active shutter glasses, i've had no problems at all.
    Ian.

The point many people do have problems with it hence why 3DTV should remain a niche product.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people who buy 3DTV would probably buy anything from Sky even £1,000 tea cups. :D
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    After months of watching it on and off, none of us have had any symptoms described, in fact we all feel quite comfortable watching a film or sporting event in 3D.

I think the trick is, do not watch it too much, it is just supposed to be event tv after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    After months of watching it on and off, none of us have had any symptoms described, in fact we all feel quite comfortable watching a film or sporting event in 3D.

I think the trick is, do not watch it too much, it is just supposed to be event tv after all.

That's true but if Sky could add another way of adding 100 3D channels and up the price by £20 they probably would. :p
  • bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's true but if Sky could add another way of adding 100 3D channels and up the price by £20 they probably would. :p

shhh they are listening... gets £20 ready... lol