2012- not a vintage year??

Comments

• holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only real duffer was Johnny Ball but even he wasn't in the Paul Daniels league. Jerry Hall couldn't dance but she sure could promenade and she went the following week - even Nancy lasted longer than that! Everyone went out more or less at the right time. I expected Sid and Ola to last longer but you could see the car crash coming during their ghostbusters routine. I also thought that Dani and Vincent would do better in the final but hey ho.
  • ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a very good year. Possibly the richest dance-talent ever.

Can't say I exactly 'took' to any of them personally but dance-wise they were a great bunch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    It has felt a bit like going through the motions this series.

Really the producers need to have a re-think about how they cast the show and how they put the celebs with the right partners. Colin / Kristina was particularly ridiculous.

Each result has been predictable - not that I wanted a "wuz robbed" incident, but there has been little intrigue. It was really obvious that there were the rubbish dancers and then the potential finalists from the start.

Highs:
    Lisa being unexpectedly good at the start
    Michael and Natalie's relationship
    Tess being more human (and visibly expressing her discomfort when Bruce groped her)
    Darcey being better than I expected
    Erin Island!

Lows:
    Lisa not improving after showing such promise
    Louis & Flavia doing the Dirty Dancing routine so early on in the run when it really should have been a show-stopper for the final / semis
    Generally the way that simplistic narratives for all the cast are hammered home each show, it's been hard to "get to know" any of them. She's small! He's a sportsman! She's menopausal and her dancer is tough! She's not a ringer, honest! He can't act!

Quite honestly a lot of it has been boring - I've been on the Island with Erin (and I suspect Artem was there a lot of the time).

Maybe with better camerwork, proper training VTs and a ban on using songs that have been used more than once in the show it would be different, but I'd like to see a massive shake-up for the next series.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very flat year, culminating in a very flat final with all the tension of aged knicker elastic. A two couple final might well have made more of a fight but splitting votes three ways killed it.

Last year was similar but you had vague hopes for Chelsee to maybe overturn the McFlea juggernaut. Where series 8 did manage a surprise ending.
  • Jorf68Jorf68 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Call me sadistic but I missed having a Kate Garraway style dancer this year. In past years there have been some obvious joke candidates so in 2013 please can we have a truly bad dancer to satisfy my evil streak who isn't necessarily obvious from the start.
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    I thought it was the best series of SCD, and imo the finale didn't disappoint.
    I am so delighted for Louis and Flavia...
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very good lineup of celebs to start off.
    Darcey fitted in well and its a good choice to have her back next year.
    Wembley was better than last year, but still not good enough.

Viewing figures were slightly down on last year.
    I dont know if Craig was being interfered with (eg the speech over the lift in the first Waltz) but it looked like he was not the normal Craig - too inconsistent.
    Botched pairings (sometimes deliberately) resulted in some celebs not reaching their potential.
    Dire meercat and various other VTs.
    Camera work wasn't good enough - again by not showing them full length. We have large HD TVs now, so they can afford to back off a little to show more.
    Seemingly too much interference in the choice of music and dances by the producers, which stilted the pros options and performances.
    Karen is a good dancer, nice person and gave it 100%, but although there were some good routines I suspect she lacked some of the experience needed in training and choreography.
    ITT wasn't as good as last year as it seemed too scripted and a bit rushed.
    Costumes were not impressive enough, except on the pro dancers.
    Hair and makeup had disasters at the start eg. Victoria.
    Hopefully McDonald will be godeting somewhere else next year.
    Not enough pro dances.

Two new producers in charge was a risk. It could have turned out worse - I think they just about got away with it and might be back. They didn't seem to learn much during the series though as several of the problem items continued (maybe did back off a bit on interfering with the pros choices?).
  • Frank MagFrank Mag Posts: 1,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    Wembley was better than last year, but still not good enough.
    Botched pairings (sometimes deliberately) resulted in some celebs not reaching their potential.
    Dire meercat and various other VTs.
    Seemingly too much interference in the choice of music and dances by the producers, which stilted the pros options and performances.
    Costumes were not impressive enough, except on the pro dancers.
    Hair and makeup had disasters at the start eg. Victoria.
    Hopefully McDonald will be godeting somewhere else next year.

Especially this, i turned ITT off as soon as he appeared, devote more time to Choreography Corner.

Not a vintage year for me, Series 4,5 and 8 for me.
  • *Venetia**Venetia* Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minimina wrote: »
    It has felt a bit like going through the motions this series.

Really the producers need to have a re-think about how they cast the show and how they put the celebs with the right partners. Colin / Kristina was particularly ridiculous.

Each result has been predictable - not that I wanted a "wuz robbed" incident, but there has been little intrigue. It was really obvious that there were the rubbish dancers and then the potential finalists from the start.

Highs:
    Lisa being unexpectedly good at the start
    Michael and Natalie's relationship
    Tess being more human (and visibly expressing her discomfort when Bruce groped her)
    Darcey being better than I expected
    Erin Island!

Lows:
    Lisa not improving after showing such promise
    Louis & Flavia doing the Dirty Dancing routine so early on in the run when it really should have been a show-stopper for the final / semis
    Generally the way that simplistic narratives for all the cast are hammered home each show, it's been hard to "get to know" any of them. She's small! He's a sportsman! She's menopausal and her dancer is tough! She's not a ringer, honest! He can't act!

Quite honestly a lot of it has been boring - I've been on the Island with Erin (and I suspect Artem was there a lot of the time).

Maybe with better camerwork, proper training VTs and a ban on using songs that have been used more than once in the show it would be different, but I'd like to see a massive shake-up for the next series.

Agree with all these points.

I have not enjoyed it as much as previous years mostly because it has seemed more manipulated than ever.

The introduction of many dances so early on so they can play to the strengths of certain dancers. We saw the same dances too many times, Denise's Jive 3 times!!!!!
    The music choices often seemed forced onto the couples to further the producers agenda. Victoria's bicycle paso?????? obviously not Brendan's choice. Too many charlestons.

All a bit too cabaret. A beautifully danced waltz/foxtrot/quickstep can have far more impact for me. Michael and Natalie's ballroom for instance.

I gave up on ITT because it was just too CBBC.

I am pleased for Flavia that she won (she really had to work hard) but that has to be the dullest winning partnership ever. Excited? they could barely raise a smile.

So yes please, a big shake up next year!
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've loved this year actually! I thought the final was brilliant, because all 4 couples were so good that it was anyone's guess who would win. I hope next year's is as good. :)
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not vintage for me, I thought Louis would win from the off, whoever he was partnered with. Kind of watching week by week plod on to an inevitable outcome.

The only highlight for me was the magic Natalie performed with Michael. I really wished she had been holding the glitterball aloft last night!
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great year, one of my favs.

Best final I can remember. Other years have had 1 outstanding dancer like Aleesha, Harry, Kara, Mark R, but never before 4 so closely matched.

Darcey - wonderful addition.

Did miss the fact they didn't do all the dances, & dislike cheesey sets & scripted VTs.
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    Great year, one of my favs.

Best final I can remember. Other years have had 1 outstanding dancer like Aleesha, Harry, Kara, Mark R, but never before 4 so closely matched.

Darcey - wonderful addition.

Did miss the fact they didn't do all the dances, & dislike cheesey sets & scripted VTs.

I agree the 4 were closely matched, but Louis was always going to win I thought, so there was no excitement.

I disagree about Harry and Kara though. Chelsee was outstanding, and according to polls on here going to beat Harry.
    Matt was also outstanding and it was anyone's guess whether he or Kara would win.

Agree completely about Darcey though. Wonderful:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    I only watched the final this year(I`d become bored with the show)....and in all honesty I thought it was the best final in years...Not sure if that was because it was :confused:the best final in years...or merely my perception because I had`t become caught up in all the usual Forum antics and for the first time since series 2 I sat down to watch the final with no pre-conceived expectations
  • tinyangeltinyangel Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with the OP! I've only been into SCD since series 4, which was wow, then there was 5 which was WOW.
    6 = Yay.
    7 = god awful.
    8 = WOW.
    9 = meh.
    10 = Yawn.
    This has been the first year that I haven't voted once, cos I just couldn't bring myself give a damn. :(
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Much better than last year which had a cast full of egos (Lulu, Edwina, Russell & Nancy) and dullards (Harry, Jason & Alex). I think all the celebs this year came across as genuinely well and very gracious towards each other and the experience.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    One of the strengths of Strictly for me is it's very consistent. Of course some casts are better than others but the format is very solid. I thought this year had one of the most enjoyable finals though.

If pushed, I can pick standout years and mediocre years but overall the show is as attractive to me as when I first started watching.
  • ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    An excellent year.

I thought Nicky was a good dancer too. And Lisa wasn't at all bad. Just not as good as she thought she was. Plus Robin didn't teach her very well.

Michael and Fern also produced some good dances. And poor Sid could have done SO much better.

So that's 9 who were there or thereabouts. Definitely.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    I think the endings are getting a bit under par. I saw this week that Dani and Louis were doing BBC radioshows at 7-50 on top of TV/PR/VTs/ITT and learning three dances. its pretty inevitable that you don't have enough time to do anything really well . The same thing happened even more markedly with Chelsee last year.

They also need to pay people enough to allow them not to do two jobs at once. Lisa and Dani have had to fit in panto rehearsals on top of their dancing, and other people have been off promoting albums, books, advertising events, singing and all sorts. It shows in training time and tiredness I think .

There's also been a lack of great matches of music, routines and costumes. Vincent, for example, had an even closer relationship with Dani than with Rachel it seemed at times, but they never managed to get music or costumes that allowed him to recreate anything quite like his emotional content with Rachel - or to use the humour he showed in every VT. James ended up producing great shownumbers for Denise with what he was given - but she really needed to create nother impression. Kimberley never quite provided an emotional or wow dance and wasn't helped by weak camera work when she got near.

They only had to learn one new dance - the showdance :confused:

Celebs are in a difficult situation - if they leave early then they have time for pantos or whatever else they do, if they stay till the end apparently <don`t know how true the report is!> they can earn up to 100k for the series - which isn`t a bad wage by any means so I think they do alright if they can last the series.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely not a vintage year, probably the lowest standard technically there's ever been except for maybe series 7.

It wasn't exciting at the start, there were too many middling contestants and a couple who outstayed their welcome.

It did heat up in the last 3-4 weeks, but even then the quality just wasn't there compared to classic finals of previous series - 5 and 8 especially. I thought even last year's final was better, there were only 3 dances that really impressed me tonight (Kimberley's VW and Tango and Denise's Jive).

Series eight was a dreadful final IMO which I thought was a real pity as all three finalists were very good - all the showdanes last night were better than that series eight ones which were all dull and/or rubbish.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a vintage year per se, but not bad at all. Better than last year where the dullard Harry Judd won and Chelsee underperformed and Jason creep(ed) out just about everyone, including Kristina.

This year we had many good dances. Okay, I am biased somewhat because I could remember most of Dani's dances, liked Louis in the beginning, got frustrated with him in the middle, thinking he'll be another Harry Judd, and then he became the 'last few weeks surge' for me. Kim was under the radar but the last three weeks was also amazing. Hers and Pasha's reaction when they received their first ten (which went on to be their perfect 40 dance), and then their reactions for their charleston was amazing. Denise, despite all the criticisms, had quite a few dances I enjoyed watching, her jive, her charleston and, surprise, surprise, I didn't mind her showdance at all.

The only down-er for me was Lisa outstaying her welcome.

I thought Colin being royally stitched up was a lowlight but apart from that. Not too bad - no real wows but no real real FFS - Lisa provided a bit of a scare but apart from that.
  • IlluvatarIlluvatar Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few problems (Forsyth, some mismatches, some dances favoured) but I really enjoyed it. I don't think any of last year's finalists would have made it this year and that's not just bitterness because I was supporting Holly! The top four were so closely matched. I enjoyed it.
  • cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought year 2011 was the dullest ever and nearly gave up on the series and thought about not watching this year. I am so glad I did because it is a favourite one for me - really memorable. I loved Kimberley and Pasha, Dani and Vincent, Michael and Natalie and Louis and Flavia. Last night two of the dances - Dirty Dancing and the showdance from Louis and Flavia were the WOW dances of the series for me, I am so pleased they won and deserved to win. (Keep calling it the Dirty Dancing dance - sorry).
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    No one amusingly cringey.
    Where were you when Michael was kicking wildly out of time or Lisa was cockroached on her back? Maybe they have to dress up as a clown before people notice.
    No "WOW" dances - cant think of one dance this series that is blow-me-away good
    The audacious lifts of the final not enough, or where you looking for more footwork?
    No clear winner - there wasnt a clear winner (or winners) runnig towards the end of the series
    Odd that, everyone else who talked about it made it sound more exciting that way. Whatever.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katmobile wrote: »
    Series eight was a dreadful final IMO which I thought was a real pity as all three finalists were very good - all the showdanes last night were better than that series eight ones which were all dull and/or rubbish.

I thought all of last night's were fairly rubbish too. I don't judge it on the showdances, there's only ever been one amazing one (Tom) and 3 others I've liked (Chris, Alesha and Jason).

Judging on the proper dances rather than the stupid showdances, the series 8 final was amazing.

Anyway, my point wasn't about the final itself but rather that the 3 finalists were all far better dancers than any of this year's contestants. The standard was much higher back then and they actually learnt correct technique, rather than getting away with not doing heel leads or having bad hip action.