Options

Should Scotland be allowed to keep the pound if they vote for Independence?

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Rubrical wrote: »
    I practically feel like Scotland has it's own currency already what with the looks I get south of the border when they see a Scottish bank note :D

You won't have that problem after independence. The Scottish banks will lose the right to issue £ sterling.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    They should have a Scottish Pound.

Exchange rate: One Scottish Pound = 2 Haggis and a can of Tennents.

Why is it that some people cant discuss scotland without a joke about haggis or other stereotypes?

It's like we are back in the 60's and theres jokes about black people rolling their eyes to see in the dark.
    Amazing to think that some think it is acceptable as long as it is "in good humour".
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    It will be good news if Scotland changes currency because it means we will not take any share of the UK's debt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    It will be good news if Scotland changes currency because it means we will not take any share of the UK's debt.

LOL, in your dreams! Even Salmond doesn't dare to suggest that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    LOL, in your dreams! Even Salmond doesn't dare to suggest that.

From the debate I seen last night the SNP already have. Scotland does not legally have to take any of the UK's debt the reason we agreed to take some is to be fair but if the UK are not going to be reasonable with customs at the border then why should we be fair.

Why was this thread worded in a way that suggest there is no Scottish people on this forum. This is a UK forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member

That'll go down well when President Salmond goes and asks for a loan.......... run up debts as part of the UK then refuse to pay your share!

I'm still wondering what Plan B will be when the rest of the UK refuses to allow the GBP to be used!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That'll go down well when President Salmond goes and asks for a loan.......... run up debts as part of the UK then refuse to pay your share!

I'm still wondering what Plan B will be when the rest of the UK refuses to allow the GBP to be used!

If Westminister was reasonable and did not demand passport to be used to get to England then why should Scotland be reasonable. Also President Salmond I doubt the SNP will be voted in again if Independence happens because that was the only reason fat Salmond was voted in once he has done that we has done his job.
  • Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    You won't have that problem after independence. The Scottish banks will lose the right to issue £ sterling.

Will still have that problem if independence never happens either, which it won't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    Also President Salmond I doubt the SNP will be voted in again if Independence happens because that was the only reason fat Salmond was voted in once he has done that we has done his job.

The SNP's appeal seems to go beyond those who want independence, so I don't think they can be written off that easily.

And it wouldn't of course be President Salmond - the Queen would still be head of state, and he'd just be PM.
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the debate I seen last night the SNP already have. Scotland does not legally have to take any of the UK's debt the reason we agreed to take some is to be fair but if the UK are not going to be reasonable with customs at the border then why should we be fair.

Because Scotland will want to be seen as a fair and responsible country on the internation stage, particularly to lenders. If you were foreign money would you lend to a country that walked away because of a loophole?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    The SNP's appeal seems to go beyond those who want independence, so I don't think they can be written off that easily.

And it wouldn't of course be President Salmond - the Queen would still be head of state, and he'd just be PM.

I did not say he would be President the person I was quoting said that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    katkim wrote: »
    Because Scotland will want to be seen as a fair and responsible country on the internation stage, particularly to lenders. If you were foreign money would you lend to a country that walked away because of a loophole?

There are many successful countries in Europe who are corrupt including Azerbaijan which is getting the European Olympics next year.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    I did not say he would be President the person I was quoting said that.

Sorry yes, that comment wasn't directed at you!
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Irrelevant, as even the drunken Scotch aren't silly enough to vote 'yes'.

No, they'll happily continue to be a small province, tucked away in the northern reaches of the UK.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    No they shouldn't. I do think they will vote YES to independence though.

Yes they should. And if the vote is Yes, i will be out of here like a shot!
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    They should have their own currency but the only problem is the size of the coins, they'd have to be huge to get Salmond's head on the back.
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are many successful countries in Europe who are corrupt including Azerbaijan which is getting the European Olympics next year.

All well and good if Scotland wants to host the 'European Olympics' in the future. I'm thinking a good credit rating is probably a bit more important. Your milage may vary.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I voted 'no'. You want your own flat, don't expect Mum & Dad to pay the rent. And don't expect to be able to bring your washing home either :p:D

However, there will always be a home for you here, should you decide to stay :)
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they shouldn't be allowed, if they want independance then that is what they will get, they can create their own money.

I find the whole Scottish wanting to go independant pathetic really, the people who vote yes are only doing it because they have a problem with the English. It's pathetic and childish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rubrical wrote: »
    Will still have that problem if independence never happens either, which it won't.

I hope not. Personally, I wouldn't want to lose you guys. We've been together for a very long time.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have voted yes on the premise that it doesn't cause any harm to our economy, that is the only valid reason for anyone saying no. I would change my opinion to no if it would harm our economy.

I have no idea whether it would
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they get a "yes" vote what will happen to all the Scottish MPs we have in Parliament will they no longer exist?
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I want to know is, if Scotland votes for independence, what is the rest of the present 'UK' going to call itself?

The full name of the existing country is 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'

The united kingdoms in question being England and Scotland, and 'Great Britain' is the name of the whole island (including Scotland).
    So you can hardly continue using the old name. Not without being inaccurate that is.

(ETA: I'm firmly in favour of the union BTW. Just playing devil's advocate)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Jersey have not broken away from the UK.

Neither are they part of the UK.

They are a Crown Dependent Territory.
    wikipedia wrote:
    The island of Jersey is the largest of the Channel Islands. Although the Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey are often referred to collectively as the Channel Islands, the "Channel Islands" are not a constitutional or political unit. Jersey has a separate relationship to the British Crown from the other Crown dependencies of Guernsey and the Isle of Man.[12] It is not part of the United Kingdom,[13] and has an international identity separate from that of the UK[14] but the United Kingdom is constitutionally responsible for the defence of Jersey.[15] Jersey is not a part of the European Union but has a special relationship with it, being treated as part of the European Community for the purposes of free trade in goods.[16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey
    Joni M wrote: »
    Thanks Nilrem and Maw, very interesting, I appreciate these replies.

Now I need to read more about it a little later on.
    Joni M wrote: »
    Jersey etc have the £ why not Scotland?

It's a bit of a grey area. Jersey £ versus UK £.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey#Currency
    Elyan wrote: »
    You can't have your cake and eat it.

Don't you mean 'you can't have your pie and eat it', if it's Scotland.