John says Bonnie's performances "are not skating" How VERY dare he?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he was so great, why did the judges vote to keep Stephan?

And I don't buy that the voters thought he was safe so they didn't bother voting. He didn't come across very well on the show, and as I say, even though he scored well, he never impressed me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy614 wrote:
    that is not true because step sequences were the rquired eliment last week.Plus they have been included in every routine so far.To say she goes from one lift to another is a total lie,i have seen her do plenty of regular skating and the amount of lifts she does is no more than john did in his routines.

Well I have timed how much floor time she does and it is

drum roll
    45%
    compared to John's which is

*75%

a significant difference I would say
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are ice DANCING, not ice skating. Like it or not, Bonnie is a far better ice dancer than any of the others. I know I enjoyed her performances much more than John's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just say that Johns been kind of misquoted by the OP. What John actually said Was 'Bonnie's a good girl who does her stuff, but in past weeks she has intended to relay on her dance ability over her skating ability. But its not really skating. But on Saturday she proved she could skate'.

So John was actually praising her saying how she was improving.
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John just said on live tv that he hasn't said anything bad about any other contestant. Also that the sun had taken quotes from various sources and put them together and made the meaning behind it different to what he was saying at the time.

Now we have heard what he actually said from the man himself. And he didn't say anything. So I hope we can end this discussion here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    ReReg wrote:
    They are ice DANCING, not ice skating. Like it or not, Bonnie is a far better ice dancer than any of the others. I know I enjoyed her performances much more than John's.

If they are supposed to Ice DANCE, in the strictest sense, then most of Bonnie's moves are actually illegal, as in Ice DANCING e.g. lifts above the shoulder are not permitted. (mind you it would probably be true for all of them then)

Also, if you have ever watched Ice Dancing, you will know that one of the programs an Ice DANCE couple needs to perform is the Compulsory Dance which is nothing but steps, i.e. actual ice skating, with three turns, twizzles, rockers, choctaws, proper edges and deep knees. These 'basic' steps are also required in the free program. Ice DANCING free programs do require a certain amount of lifts and spins, but a large part is about steps, transitions and quality of edges.

The choreographies that we are seeing in DOI are a hybrid of pair skating and ice dancing. And I think that is where the confusion sets in, because of the unclear boundaries between the two discliplines (a good pair skater isn't neccessarily a good ice dancer and vice versa).

But as everyone harps on about this being ice DANCING, what Bonnie is showing, is not ice DANCING. If she actually got off her small and pert bum and worked on her basic skating skills and showed us a step sequence across the ice without stumbling, wobbling and still looking graceful, then she will happily get my vote, but if she doesn't, and she would win, it is quite frankly an insult to the sport.

:-)

(P.S.: I have 18 years of ice skating training and competing under my belt, so I think I know what I am talking about)

:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobblekat wrote:
    (P.S.: I have 18 years of ice skating training and competing under my belt, so I think I know what I am talking about)

:rolleyes:

That's all you wanted to say isn't it? So why didn't you just say it at the beginning.

I, and I suspect 10 million others, couldn't care less about the technicalities of ice DANCING, ice SKATING, or any other ice ACTIVITY. Bonnie looks great on the ice, and if she is not very good then the rest of them must be truely awful. If this programme is going to insult the 'sport', it's going to be through one of the others winning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    ReReg wrote:
    That's all you wanted to say isn't it? So why didn't you just say it at the beginning.

I, and I suspect 10 million others, couldn't care less about the technicalities of ice DANCING, ice SKATING, or any other ice ACTIVITY. Bonnie looks great on the ice, and if she is not very good then the rest of them must be truely awful. If this programme is going to insult the 'sport', it's going to be through one of the others winning.

No need to become personal :-) If I hadn't mentioned that I know something about the sport, you might have replied ' And what makes you an expert on ice skating?'... aaaanyway.

I didn't once say Bonnie didn't look good out there, but like many, I would appreciate her actually working on her footwork and skate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's easy to miss how much skating Bonnie does actually do because she is so comfortable in the air but her footwork is way ahead of most of them, sore loser Barrowman included. She very clearly performed the steps required this week, the cross steps from last week and whatever has been the required element each week. Added to that, she is by far the most graceful of the female celebs on the ice.

What a plonker he has come across as since Saturday. Saying that David Seaman got the sympathy vote because of his partner injuring herself and then falling, that he only got 20 votes less than David in the phone vote, that he doesn't know what the judges were looking at.............

Bitterman seems to have forgotten that he fell the week before. How does he know he didn't get through on the sympathy vote then?

20 votes? Since when was he the chosen one that gets told things the other eliminated contestants weren't told.

What were the judges seeing? Another pair not just putting in a superior performance that, unlike his performance, included an abundant display of the required elements for the week and that was performed with a greater degree of precision and a shedload more conviction. Bitterman performed like he already knew he was safe. His face when the voting didn't go his way!!! He still managed to keep up the fake smile though.

He was one of my favourites but if that's his attitude, good riddance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Frankie, it was in fact Philip Shofield (on This Morning's Dancing on Ice Special) who mentioned that there were 20 votes in it, and not John Barrowman.
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that John confirmed that he hadn't said any of those things that the sun had written on The Wright Stuff this morning.

As I said before never believe what you read in the papers.
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's just another bitchy queen who unfortunatley has been styled as a straight-acting, manly charmer (by RTD). This contradiction my seriously effect the success of his upcoming Dr Who spin off, Torchwood.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it had already been established that his remarks, the subject of this thread, were not originally quoted in their entirety and, as such, are out of context and that he did in fact say how much Bonnie was improving.

Therefore, it seems reasonable to assume that all other remarks have at the very least been taken out of context if not completely misquoted: His disappointment is palpable and entirely understandable but I really don't think he's bitter - he has a right to feel let down when he did the very thing the judges implored him to do - i.e. tone down the routine - and was consequently marked down in the skate-off when up against a far showier routine: The discrepancy between the marks for both pairs' first performances notwithstanding.

This all strikes me as the media (and the gullible) trying to make trouble where none exists.

At the end of the day, the real losers from Saturday's result are the viewers - the pair most likely to provide solid competition and a direct contrast in style to Bonnie and her partner were John and Olga. Regardless of your personal favourite, the programme is the poorer for their early exit.
  • galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    Marie17 wrote:
    Yes, John has a valid point. Bonnie is without doubt wonderfully agile, graceful and elegant as a dancer (which she is highly trained for). However, last week seemed to be the first week her skates have actually been on the ice for more than a few seconds at a time. No doubt she'll be working to improve this - she's nothing if not a trouper.
    Yes I think the judges overrate her. She definitely gets thrown about more than she does any actual skating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree DivaLoca!! All taken out of context!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marie17 wrote:
    Frankie, it was in fact Philip Shofield (on This Morning's Dancing on Ice Special) who mentioned that there were 20 votes in it, and not John Barrowman.

John had mentioned it on 'GMTV' earlier in the morning before 'This Morning'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with whoever said they thought initially that Bonnie did seem to get thrown around by her partner (and was overmarked) but she has improved more recently. She is graceful and a joy to watch and does seem to be doing more skating.
    I also think we've established about the title of the topic being essentially due to a MISQUOTE!

As to John being bitchy on GMTV or wherever - well, he could hardly be honest and give his opinion on what happened without appearing bitchy could he? whether he intended to come accrocc like that or not. I mean, short of saying 'No, i was bad and deserved to go' (which some of you lot would no doubt have pounced on him for, saying he was just being self deprecating) anything he said would seem like sour grapes, even though it is just an honest comment on the events. And of course he was disappointed - highly competitive people (which he is by his own admission) always feel more disappointed at losing in something like this - it's been shown scientifically with testosterone levels. They remain higher in more competitive people and this elevated level makes the come-down from competition more pronounced making them come across as more 'bitter' perhaps than someone to whom it doesn't seem to 'metter' as much. Perhaps this is what's going on with Kelly too?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well on the Dancing on Ice Special on This Morning today, Philip told the viewers that the required step was a jump without the help of the partner.

And....

Bonnie is struggling

So it will be interesting as this is a step which her partner cannot fling her across the floor for
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReReg wrote:
    He's just another bitchy queen who unfortunatley has been styled as a straight-acting, manly charmer (by RTD). This contradiction my seriously effect the success of his upcoming Dr Who spin off, Torchwood.

It's obvious you don't like John Barrowman, but why be personal with such an offensive remark? We are talking about SKATING on this forum not someone's perceived sexuality! I hope the moderators have a look at your posts, because I think this one in particular oversteps the boundaries of good taste, and are quite possibly actionable by Mr Barrowman