Options

Deus Ex...Yay or Neigh???

LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Thinking about getting it, as someone told me it was a good stealth game, is this correct and is it any good?

Comments

• Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about getting it, as someone told me it was a good stealth game, is this correct and is it any good?

Its good, its not great but its selling for less than a tennerso is worth it. I played it on the one higher difficulty than normal and thought it was pretty easy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Yeah it's a pretty good game although I got frustrated trying to do the entire thing sneaky style on the highest level without killing anyone but I'll pick it up again at some point.

The sneaking is pretty good but sometimes you do just kind of think they should have seen you ... but those moments are few and far between but it's up to you how you want to play it .... you have the option of being a one man tank filled to the brim with enough destructive POWA to level a city or go for the shhhhh sneaky sneaky way of doing things and I like that idea.

There is also a great music score on the game ... something which people don't normally pick up on but for me there were some great pieces of music on there!
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its a pretty enjoyable as a stealth game. I played it through on the hardest setting going for no alarms and no kills and really enjoyed myself. The main problem with the game as a stealth experience is the boss fights, I arrives at the first boss fight totally unprepared for the fight and that really spoiled the game for awhile. I still wasnt fully prepared for the second boss either, but by the third boss I had upgraded weapons and spent skills to aids shooting and kill so it was a lot easier than.

But other than the boss fights spoiling the stealth action and forcing you to buy skills you dont need outside the boss fights its a good game well worth picking up at the price its currently going for.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Easily a Yay, this is one of the games that was overlooked last year, playing through it myself now on PC and so far clocked 16 hours and I'm still quite a bit away from the end, I'm just enjoying helping people out and doing all the side tasks as well as exploring the citites in the game, and as some one else pointed, the score is brilliant for this game.
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Definitely a YAY! I bought it on the day of release, think I might re-install it and see how that HD pack is going. First time through, I played it Stealthy. Second time through, I just went for the gung-ho approach. Back then I was running it on a VooDoo3 too. :D

You can shove your digital distribution, massive game boxes FT proverbial W!

http://i50.tinypic.com/k2xwzl.jpg
    http://i47.tinypic.com/jjpilw.jpg

:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on, which one are we talking about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    Hang on, which one are we talking about?

I thought the recent current generation version. If the OP was referring to the original PC game than that's even better :D
  • Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Well, the OP says 'Deus Ex' with no mention of any of the sequels. So I assumed they were on about the original (and best), otherwise they would have said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    If we're talking about Human Revolution, it's a definite yes. It's one of the best games I've played in years. I usually can't stand stealth in games but I really enjoyed it in HR.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Infact, just play all Deus Ex games! :D

...except Deus Ex 2, avoid that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iHelix wrote: »
    If we're talking about Human Revolution, it's a definite yes. It's one of the best games I've played in years. I usually can't stand stealth in games but I really enjoyed it in HR.

i absolutely loved it, the stealth is much more rewarding than doing a run/gun style of play(which makes it sooo easy)
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're talking about Human Revolution...I'd say yay, gameplay is a bit easy on normal, and the boss fights are jarring, but visually it's beautiful, the score is brilliant, and the stealth components of the game are good.

If you're talking about the original Deus Ex, I'd say yay, yay and thrice yay, although if you're more of a modern gamer, I'd also look out for various mods to bring the graphics a little up to date. It is worth it, though, and - with or without mods - it upholds its reputation as one of the best games of all time.

If you're talking about Invisible War...don't bother.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yay to Human Revolution! [Just be prepared for shitty boss battles]

Double-Yay for the original!
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    awesome and yes I was talking about Human revolution !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would recommend Human Revolution. It can be played as stealthy or as gung-ho as you like. It has a good story to it and the feel of the game is really well done. The sound and look make it an immersive experience. There is a 'boss battle' at the end of every chapter which can be a massive change of pace if you have been super stealthy.

8/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Yay to Human Revolution! [Just be prepared for shitty boss battles]Double-Yay for the original!
    By shitty do you mean really hard or bloody easy?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Original Deus Ex is still better than most modern FPS/RPG games. In fact I got it installed on my laptop so I could play occasionally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »

Too hard and out of place with a stealth character.
    Too easy with a gun based killer character.

Basically just not suited to the game itself.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deus Ex (original) - YES. Still better than most modern games of it's type.

DE: Invisible War - Don't understand the hate for it. Yes, it's not as good as the original but still playable. Give it a whirl.

DE: Human Revolution - YES. Better than IW. Still not up to the original.

If you're not prepared/don't know what's coming with the bosses in HR you will get annoyed. It takes an upgraded weapon of some type to take them out. Even if you're playing a pure stealth game you'll need to keep an assault rifle in your inventory and upgrade it as often as possible.
  • Options
    ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Even if you're playing a pure stealth game you'll need to keep an assault rifle in your inventory and upgrade it as often as possible.

Not true. Take typhoon early and use it only for bosses. Just run up to the buggers and trigger it. 2-4 times will kill them depending on skill level. Easy and they cant do a thing about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also there are barrels you can throw at the first boss if you arrive without any weapons. This is how I took down the first boss down after some frustration.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »

This:
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Too hard and out of place with a stealth character.
    Too easy with a gun based killer character.

Basically just not suited to the game itself.

As ToytownAssassin said, a good option for easy dispatch of the bosses is the Typhoon. Get that early, and upgrade it, and you won't have a problem with them.

And for the very last boss...
    Take the laser rifle from an earlier mission, and you can kill the final boss extremely quickly and easily, before the boss fight has even been triggered.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Deus Ex (original) - YES. Still better than most modern games of it's type.

DE: Invisible War - Don't understand the hate for it. Yes, it's not as good as the original but still playable. Give it a whirl.

DE: Human Revolution - YES. Better than IW. Still not up to the original.

If you're not prepared/don't know what's coming with the bosses in HR you will get annoyed. It takes an upgraded weapon of some type to take them out. Even if you're playing a pure stealth game you'll need to keep an assault rifle in your inventory and upgrade it as often as possible.
    I just bought a second hand copy of Invisible War. £1.50 in CeX. Will have to dig out my copy of the original game at some point too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Original is amazing, definitely up there as one of the best games ever.

The second is a decent game, when you don't compare it to the first.

The third is a good game too, lots of potential should they decide to make a sequel (hopefully focusing more on the storyline and RPG elements).

For the price it is now, it is definitely worth a punt: the DLC (Missing Link) is a bit rubbish though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought this from XBLA, I could have had it free from PSN but that would have cost £40 :confused::D

All I can say about this game is that its fooking amazing, I'm hooked, this game has changed my life, I don't understand why I never bought it before, its worth £40 and then some!!

Anyway, how did you guys play it? I'm going stealthy for this my first play through, I'm loving how the game leaves everything upto the player, from missions to how you play it, what upgraded augs, even down to the route you take to complete the mission and the different outcomes as direct result of your actions.

F**king awesome, this game should be on every gamers shelf.