Eastenders had its day now?

marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has eastenders had its day now? I used to love the prgramme, everyone would be talking about it, now no one mentions it and if they do, its to say how awful it is.

The seem to be in a very bad patch and have been for the last few years. Trying to watch it i find it really iritating, the characters and iritating, the storylines are boring, there is no humour, its the most depressing thing ive seen.

I think there are too many council trash familys in the show now, there isnt an equal balance of diffrent familys and its become like a very bad shameless.

If this carrys on license fee money should be cut and the show should be moved to a daytime slot or put it back to 2 shows per week, or if gets worse maybe they will close the door on it.

Ive no idea where they gonna go with it, but i hope it picks up soon. I shall try to watch over christmas again and hope there is some improvement by then.

Comments

• Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's improved this month and its on the up according
  • SoapAddict101SoapAddict101 Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    It's your opinion. 7-8 million+ people still enjoy it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No EE has not had its day. You might not enjoy it but others do.

As for "council trash families" - wow...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another day, another one of these posts... Funny how they arrive once EE starts attracting some positive attention.

That's your opinion of course, but EE has far from had it's day... it feels livelier now than it's felt in years, there's a huge buzz around the show and there's a huge press conference taking place today plus the announcement of two new characters.

As the ads say change is happening...
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh thats good to know, im gonna tune in and see if it has improved then. good to hear
  • lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you asked me this 6 months ago I would of said yes. However, it has been improving... maybe not much but it still is improving.

Maybe stop criticising the show ay? It was in a bad place... it still is in a bad place but it is improving. Give it chance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totem_Bern wrote: »
    Another day, another one of these posts... Funny how they arrive once EE starts attracting some positive attention.

I must admit, even though I've been very (and I mean VERY) critical of EE in the past, I can appreciate it when it actually does improve, and at the moment it's not too bad.

However, I've never felt it was anywhere near having its day because I wasn't enjoying it, so threads like that always made me laugh
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I find your spelling and grammar irritating.

However, on topic, no the show has not had its day. It still gets on average 8 million viewers per episode and drums up a lot of media interest.

It’s clear that DTC has come in with a strategy for the show. There is a lot more cohesion and you get the impression that the show has direction for the first time in recent memory.

All the new signings are great additions (the midnight announcement tonight being another corker), the axe has fallen on the right people and in general it feels like its picking up pace and momentum.

In hindsight I’m glad the show bombed at the soap awards, as I think it gave the producers (and BBC) the shock it needed.

As for your comment regarding the licence fee, a tiny fraction of that goes towards EastEnders.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    It's a soap opera. Soap operas never 'have their day' as they're constantly reflecting the issues going in in real life. EE is still one of, if not the most popular show on the BBC so it's not goign anywhere for the moment. If the writing continues to be awful for years and years, then it COULD be axed, but 1 or 2 year of bad writing doesn't mean the show has 'had it's day' or 'will be axed'. All soaps go through rough patches, but EE has definitely not 'had it's day'. The only time EE will ever 'have it's day' is if the world becomes a perfect, happy place with no drama or misery.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it hasn't.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    marc822 wrote: »
    Has eastenders had its day now? I used to love the prgramme, everyone would be talking about it, now no one mentions it and if they do, its to say how awful it is.

The seem to be in a very bad patch and have been for the last few years. Trying to watch it i find it really iritating, the characters and iritating, the storylines are boring, there is no humour, its the most depressing thing ive seen.

I think there are too many council trash familys in the show now, there isnt an equal balance of diffrent familys and its become like a very bad shameless.

If this carrys on license fee money should be cut and the show should be moved to a daytime slot or put it back to 2 shows per week, or if gets worse maybe they will close the door on it.

Ive no idea where they gonna go with it, but i hope it picks up soon. I shall try to watch over christmas again and hope there is some improvement by then.

In answer to your question. No it hasn't
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously not as it still has large viewing figures. All soaps have good and bad periods. EE has improved in recent months.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erm no.

It's lightyears ahead of Coronation Street.
  • TVbashTVbash Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    All soaps have lost millions of viewers over the past few years. They are still popular by todays standards. tv viewing is much more spread out than it used to be.
  • 12december198412december1984 Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be argued, at the end of the day, that all soap operas have had their day.

I lost interest in EastEnders with the "baby swap" storyline. I have watched it a couple of times since and whilst I no longer enjoy the show the audiences suggest otherwise.

Every soap goes through peaks and troughs... EastEnders has had a bad year HOWEVER Dominic Treadwell-Collins has been drafted in and the general consensus seems to be is that he knows how to improve the show and take it forward to it's 30th birthday in 2015.

I wish him and the team at EastEnders well, and I have every faith they'll do it justice.

So, no, I disagree. EastEnders HASN'T had it's day.

It's also important to remember that in terms of soap viewing figures that the Christmas Episode of 1986 is #1 for the largest audience.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders hasn't had its day at all, Corrie isn't exactly enjoyable right now but that hasn't either
    Now, Hollyoaks on the other hand...
  • dale0693dale0693 Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always loved watching the show even when it does go through its bad times it's been improving over the last 3 months
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They all have as demonstrated by the declining viewing figures.
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    The soap still manages to reach Seven-Eight million viewers in the ratings, even more at times. I hardly think the soap has had its day.:D