Costume Reveal - Official Release

Comments

• Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    I'm looking to lose 4 stone and cosplay as John Hurt's doctor :p

Hey! In general while in far too old and cynical to really appreciate it I think its great that some fans are so passionate to do that stuff. But I really weep when its now seen by some that Cosplay comes first as opposed to being an amusing side product. And anyway. Nines outfit made appalling cosplay. I've seen the pictures.

War Doctor was fantastic though. But sadly limited to that character. And it worked because it suited the character/incarnation. Not because some American woman could easily source the required materials to turn a few heads at a convention.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Indeed. Matt was my favourite Doctor but even I tired of the bowties are cool and fez stuff. I know we are yet to see Capaldi truly play the Doctor but even based on THAT look in The Day of the Doctor...this is not a Timelord who indulges in the Fez related whimsy of Eleven.

Indeed, Matt was one of my favourites too and it was a shame to see him reduced to a caricature so often, spouting catchphrases and comical attire.
    But to quote Capaldi himself... "Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord.” :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey! In general while in far too old and cynical to really appreciate it I think its great that some fans are so passionate to do that stuff. But I really weep when its now seen by some that Cosplay comes first as opposed to being an amusing side product. And anyway. Nines outfit made appalling cosplay. I've seen the pictures.

War Doctor was fantastic though. But sadly limited to that character. And it worked because it suited the character/incarnation. Not because some American woman could easily source the required materials to turn a few heads at a convention.

No worries Mr Salad, my post was (half) in jest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I like the new costume, it's quite classy and elegant and as several people have said slightly vampirish.

I hated the 11th Doctor's original costume. I don't like tweed or bow ties, and the jacket was much too short. This is a big improvement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No worries Mr Salad, my post was (half) in jest.

Admit it! You're dreaming of rocking up at London Comic Con as The War Doctor while people swoon and faint in the aisles.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think each Doctor has to outdo the last in the wacky costume stakes and to me it fits nicely alongside Pertwee and Mcgann but in a sleek modern way.

I wouldn't want it to be wacky but as someone who is interested in costume I don't find this particularly brimming with personality with is a pity. There's just no individuality to it.

It's no reflection on his ability to play the role I just don't think it's a particularly great costume.
    yeah because the production team should really keep in mind the best interests of self indulgent brats with too much time and money when they create these things.

No need for that sort of comment at all. :( I've worked at a lot of conventions and some of the cosplay is amazing and impressive. The actors are always floored by the skill of it. There's some very talented people out there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now that is a dashing costume for a dashing man. I cannot wait to see it in action.

And as someone else said, unbutton the jacket and let the red lining flair when he runs. That would be good.
  • Options
    Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Stunning isn't it?

Unfortunately I'm not sure it was a joke.

Same, I've learnt long time ago you'll always see at least one racist/bigoted douchebag in comments, even when said story isn't even about racism like this story now, not saying it's right but there's nothing we can do about that. :(

He/She is probably just bitter that "immigrant" Peter Capaldi has achieved more in life than he/she ever will. ;-)
  • Options
    Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    No need for that sort of comment at all. :( I've worked at a lot of conventions and some of the cosplay is amazing and impressive. The actors are always floored by the skill of it. There's some very talented people out there.

I go to Comic Cons all the time and while I personally don't do cosplays (would love to evantually though), I do enjoy seeing people cosplays, the amount of work folks put into them is amazing. :)

To be honest I think 12 Doc's costume can still be cosplayed anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't want it to be wacky but as someone who is interested in costume I don't find this particularly brimming with personality with is a pity. There's just no individuality to it.

It's no reflection on his ability to play the role I just don't think it's a particularly great costume.

Talented in copying the original thoughts and designs of others yes. I admire their commitment. But my criticism was aimed at the individuals I saw complaining not all Cosplayers. Any fan who thinks that Moffat and company should be thinking of cosplay when designing the doctors outfit is as deluded as those morons who are obsessed that Sherlock and Watson simply must have a sexual relationship because it suits their sad adolescent fantasies. No no no no no. Anyway. Watch the next conventions. A fair few Capaldis will turn up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red-Eye wrote: »
    I go to Comic Cons all the time and while I personally don't do cosplays (would love to evantually though), I do enjoy seeing people cosplays, the amount of work folks put into them is amazing. :)

To be honest I think 12 Doc's costume can still be cosplayed anyway.

It's definitely one of the few parts of fandom type activities that massively impresses the cast and crew without ever freaking them out! :D

Yeah you'll get people cosplaying this.

Comment I read elsewhere said their issue with it is it isn't THAT much different from Matt's (and I think his purple frock coat outfit was a thing of beauty). I can see that. Possibly why it's a bit 'meh' for me. They gave Capaldi a poor initial scene at Christmas and then this doesn't give a clear stamp of it being his Doctor yet. It's not the be all and end all but it just doesn't have me raring at the bit for the Autumn.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Will2911 wrote: »
    Can't tell from the pic but it appears he is wearing a shirt with no tie buttoned up to the top... Interesting that he sticks with the post regen look.
    It makes sense that he'd go without a tie. Remember why Eleven decided that bow ties were cool. Amy had trapped him in a car door by Ten's tie!
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    It makes sense that he'd go without a tie. Remember why Eleven decided that bow ties were cool. Amy had trapped him in a car door by Ten's tie!

lol yes that episode was on watch last Thursday! it was quite an interesting re-watch!
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member

It's not even really a costume. The lining is the only distinctive feature; it's also disappointingly conservative, high street. Too many suits in recent years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    It's not even really a costume. The lining is the only distinctive feature; it's also disappointingly conservative, high street. Too many suits in recent years.

I think a suit is fine (he wouldn't suit Chris's rougher look and don't really want to see him in jeans/cords and a jumper :D) but I just think it needs a little something to make it feel new. After Matt's revamped costume and the War Doctor's this one feels bit like they couldn't be arsed! :D

A really simple cravat or scarf would bring it to life.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now a picture with just the cardigan, please.
  • Options
    Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks a bit camp to me. Nothing wrong with a gay Doctor. Cap'n Jack was that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mean this in an unkind way but I find his eyes rather cold looking which is strange as I've seen him interviewed and he seems a pleasant sort of chap. But his eyes, - well in the arched brow intense look pose he seems to do - look rather cold and not inviting. Acting is a lot to do with the eyes. And the ears. And don't forget how important the nose is when acting.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Looks a bit camp to me. Nothing wrong with a gay Doctor. Cap'n Jack was that way.

Oh dear God, you aren't starting that again...
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nice,would look better open jacket with the red showing.
    He is missing an accessory though.
    9 had the leather jacket, accessory in itself.
    10 the tie he often wore
    11 bow ties, hats and the chain on his later jacket really gave it some character.
    this is missing the "chain" if you get me. Just something to set it ablaze and finish it off.

Also, I feel he would have suited the shoes Matt had. So much so I was sure it was Capaldi walking up the stairs in TotD because those shoes/boots are exactly what this doctor would wear with Capaldi as him. Doesn't strike me as a goth boot/doc martin type doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With his spooky eyes he should be playing Jimmy Savile!

Matt Smith had lovely eyes. He was the type of guy you could take home to your mother and she'd cook him a nice supper and say "oh, what a nice chap he is."
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously, just stop now.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are talking utter crap, and insulting and totally inappropriate crap at that.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a more positive note - the costume looks good. I want to see it (and PC) in action now...
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a great outfit: a no-frills but stylish outfit for a mature doctor.

Yes, superficially, it looks like Matt Smith's most recent outfit, but on closer inspection, it's really quite different.

We have to remember too that Matt Smith's Doctor won't be remembered for the look he sported during the 2013 episodes, but rather for the brown tweed jacket and bow-tie combo: the iconic look that served him well for two and half series: i.e. most of his tenure. And that particular look is a world away from Capaldi's.