• StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Team Charlie and Woy :D Great cast.
    pothuthic wrote: »
    Team Chris, Bob, Samantha and Germaine :D

Good to hear it. :) Cheers.
    Forum Member
    Here are the first half of those cast fact files, as promised - and first up, it's our boys:

1. Roy Hodgson
    Age? 66
    From? Croydon, London
    Height unknown
    Known for? Being a former footballer and current manager of the England national team
    Fact? Roy can speak five languages - which will probably help when he's trying to pronounce some of the professional dancers' surnames!

2. John Cooper Clarke
    Age? 65
    From? Salford
    Height unknown
    Known for? Being a performance poet and a significant figure in the punk rock era
    Fact? John's chums with the Arctic Monkeys, and the latter have even recorded one of his poems as a song. Perhaps he'll be dancing to a tune or two of theirs?

3. Bob Mortimer
    Age? 55
    From? Middlesborough
    Height? 5'8"
    Known for? Being part of a comedic double act with Vic Reeves
    Fact? Bob trialled for Middlesborough F.C., but had to give up the sport due to arthritis. Who knows, perhaps he could have been the next Pele?

4. James Marsters
    Age? 51
    From? Greenville, CA
    Height? 5'9"
    Known for? Being an actor in shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Smallville and Torchwood
    Fact? James' ambition to become an actor began when he played Eeyore in Winnie the Pooh in the fourth grade... he'd better not go giving the wardrobe department any ideas...

5. Justin Rose
    Age? 33
    From? Johannesburg, SA
    Height? 6'3"
    Known for? Being a U.S. Open-winning professional golfer
    Fact? Justin lives with his wife and children in two different homes on either side of the globe - one, a residence in Orlando, Florida and the other, a flat in Putney. I wonder which he prefers....

6. Ashley Walters
    Age? 32
    From? Peckham, London
    Height? 5'8.5"
    Known for? Being an actor and a rapper as part of the group So Solid Crew
    Fact? Ashley's more recent career as an actor has seen him star in many a show, including Doctor Who, ten episodes of Grange Hill and a 2011 film pleasantly entitled 'Sket'.

7. Chris Mears
    Age? 21
    From? Reading
    Height? 5'8"
    Known for? Being an Olympic diver
    Fact? Chris very, very, very rarely has clothes on. Seriously. Even Tom Daley would be blushing.

Tomorrow, it'll be the gals. :)
    Forum Member
    Told you!

1. Germaine Greer
    Age? 75
    From? Melbourne, Australia
    Height unknown
    Known for? Being a journalist, author and campaigner for women's liberation
    Fact? Germaine became the first housemate to voluntarily leave the Celebrity Big Brother - and after spending time locked away with John McCririck, who'd blame her?!

2. Marie Helvin
    Age? 61
    From? Hawaii, USA
    Height? 5'9"
    Known for? Being a fashion model and muse of (and ex-spouse of) David Bailey, featuring in Vogue on several occasions
    Fact? Marie's fellow David Bailey muse Jerry Hall didn't have the best of luck on Strictly, and neither did Jerry's former step-daughter Jade Jagger. Third time lucky, eh?

3. Samantha Bond
    Age? 52
    From? Kensington, London
    Height? 5'6.5"
    Known for? Being an actress, starring in the James Bond series, Downton Abbey and Outnumbered
    Fact? Samantha has most recently appeared on the West End stage in the musical Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (but don't panic, I'm sure she only sat on a chair)

4. Chizzy Akudolu
    Age? 40
    From? London
    Height? 5'6"
    Known for? Being an actress, best known currently as Mo Effanga in Holby City
    Fact? Chizzy, as far as Wikipedia can be believed, is an experience calligrapher and has a brown belt in karate. She'd best not get on the wrong side of her partner, in that case...

5. Charlie Brooks
    Age? 33
    From? Barmouth
    Height? 5'5"
    Known for? Being an actress, having portrayed Janine Butcher in EastEnders
    Fact? Charlie won £10,000 for a charity of her choice on a celebrity edition of The Cube last night - now, get back to training for the launch show group dance, you!

6. Jamelia
    Age? 33
    From? Birmingham
    Height? 5'7"
    Known for? Being a MOBO-winning pop and R&B singer
    Fact? Jamelia's perhaps more used to being a judge as opposed to a contestant - she's presided over contestants on Move Like Michael Jackson, Let's Dance for Comic Relief and The Voice of Ireland (to name a few)

7. Millie Mackintosh
    Age? 24
    From? Chelsea
    Height? 5'8"
    Known for? Being a model, socialite and Made in Chelsea cast member
    Fact? Millie shares something in common with last year's Dave Myers - no, not their silky smooth locks, but the fact that they were both once professional make-up artists. Who knew!
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I don't like Charlie Brooks because her character was the reason Lacey had to leave the Square in the first place. >:(

But Lacey will be back in the square soon dancingqueen.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Here are the first half of those cast fact files, as promised - and first up, it's our boys:

1. Roy Hodgson
    Age? 66
    From? Croydon, London
    Height unknown
    Known for? Being a former footballer and current manager of the England national team
    Fact? Roy can speak five languages - which will probably help when he's trying to pronounce some of the professional dancers' surnames!

2. John Cooper Clarke
    Age? 65
    From? Salford
    Height unknown
    Known for? Being a performance poet and a significant figure in the punk rock era
    Fact? John's chums with the Arctic Monkeys, and the latter have even recorded one of his poems as a song. Perhaps he'll be dancing to a tune or two of theirs?

3. Bob Mortimer
    Age? 55
    From? Middlesborough
    Height? 5'8"
    Known for? Being part of a comedic double act with Vic Reeves
    Fact? Bob trialled for Middlesborough F.C., but had to give up the sport due to arthritis. Who knows, perhaps he could have been the next Pele?

4. James Marsters
    Age? 51
    From? Greenville, CA
    Height? 5'9"
    Known for? Being an actor in shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Smallville and Torchwood
    Fact? James' ambition to become an actor began when he played Eeyore in Winnie the Pooh in the fourth grade... he'd better not go giving the wardrobe department any ideas...

5. Justin Rose
    Age? 33
    From? Johannesburg, SA
    Height? 6'3"
    Known for? Being a U.S. Open-winning professional golfer
    Fact? Justin lives with his wife and children in two different homes on either side of the globe - one, a residence in Orlando, Florida and the other, a flat in Putney. I wonder which he prefers....

6. Ashley Walters
    Age? 32
    From? Peckham, London
    Height? 5'8.5"
    Known for? Being an actor and a rapper as part of the group So Solid Crew
    Fact? Ashley's more recent career as an actor has seen him star in many a show, including Doctor Who, ten episodes of Grange Hill and a 2011 film pleasantly entitled 'Sket'.

7. Chris Mears
    Age? 21
    From? Reading
    Height? 5'8"
    Known for? Being an Olympic diver
    Fact? Chris very, very, very rarely has clothes on. Seriously. Even Tom Daley would be blushing.

Tomorrow, it'll be the gals. :)

Roy Hodgson! >:(
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Team Chris ;)
    Forum Member
    Roy Hodgson! >:(

Don't worry, I'm sure the out-of-shape, pasty pensioner from Croydon will be better at Latin dancing than he is at managing a football team...
    pothuthic wrote: »
    Team Chris ;)

So I hear. :D
    Forum Member
    So, we've had our fact files, and tonight - if you're lucky - you may just get some pre-launch odds... (oh, who am I kidding, I'll give 'em to you anyway!)
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm supporting the nice one from Hustle (again) and Roy because I expect he's going to be hideously bad.
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Team Chizzy :D
    Forum Member
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    I'm supporting the nice one from Hustle (again) and Roy because I expect he's going to be hideously bad.

#FitAshley (I'll do my best to deliver on both counts)
    Stuart25 wrote: »
    Team Chizzy :D

Also thanks. :)
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Don't worry, I'm sure the out-of-shape, pasty pensioner from Croydon will be better at Latin dancing than he is at managing a football team...

So I hear. :D

If I say his name three times he might appear.

Team Chris.
    Forum Member
    2/1 - Chris Mears
    5/2 - Jamelia
    7/1 - Millie Mackintosh
    10/1 - Ashley Walters
    10/1 - Charlie Brooks
    12/1 - Justin Rose
    15/1 - James Marsters
    15/1 - Marie Helvin
    15/1 - Samantha Bond
    18/1 - Chizzy Akudolu
    18/1 - Bob Mortimer
    25/1 - Germaine Greer
    40/1 - Roy Hodgson
    66/1 - John Cooper Clarke

Still, nothing's set in stone until show day itself, remember!
    Forum Member
    Psst... d'ya want a launch?

5pm, sharp. ;)
    Forum Member
    -the professional dancers open the show with a Samba/Cha-Cha-Cha fusion to Willy Moon's Yeah Yeah and Pixie Lott's All About Tonight-

Hello, and welcome to the launch of Strictly Come Dancing 2014! In tonight's red carpet spectacular, we've got fourteen celebrities to match up with their professional partners, so let's get on with it and pair up our female contestants...

First up, we've got pop star Jamelia! Now, you had hit after hit after hit during the turn of the century, such as Thank You, Money, See It in a Boy's Eyes, Beware of the Dog... I think you get the picture, so we'll Stop there and reveal your Superstar partner for the series. He is... Aljaz Skorjanec!

Now, we've got fashion model Marie Helvin! In your career, you've graced many a magazine and mingled with many a famous face. So which of our men will be mingling with you this series? The answer lies with none other than our very much tried and very much trusted... Mr Anton du Beke!

Holby City's Chizzy Akudolu joins us now! Chizzy, many will know you as Mo in the popular BBC hospital drama, but you've also been in shows from EastEnders to Dead Set. Strictly can now be added to that list, and the professional hoping that you won't end your time on the competition in casualty shall be... new boy Tristan MacManus!

Millie Mackintosh is here, everyone! You're a model, reality star, make-up artist, and as the heiress to Quality Street, Strictly'll be a perfect way to help any weight gained through excess chocolate eating. Anyway, the man who'll be filling Professor Green's shoes for the next few months is going to be... Brendan Cole!

EastEnders' Charlie Brooks is with us next. You've a bit of a reputation for being an ice queen in the soap, since you play the coldest of cold characters in Janine Butcher, we're sure hoping that Strictly will help in lightening you up a bit! And who better to help with that than our resident bunny ears-wearer (and last summer's champion), Pasha Kovalev?

The penultimate female to be paired up is none other than actress Samantha Bond. Samantha, you'll be stepping out of Miss Moneypenny's heels and into ones of a Latin dancer, so we're just hoping that the experience leaves you neither shaken nor stirred! Joining you on your mission to win the glitterball will be another newbie, Kevin Clifton!

And finally, Germaine Greer... author, journalist, academic, campaigner, the star of 'Extras' that one time... it looks like you're with Robin Windsor!

So, all of our women have been paired up with seven magnificent men. But before we get back to match-making, it's time for a musical interlude. With her new single 'Chandelier' from the album 1000 Forms of Fear, with the addition of a bit of contemporary dance courtesy of Tristan MacManus and Aliona Vilani, it's Sia!
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vjPBrBU-TM)

Thank you very much for that, Sia! Now, as promised, it's the turn of the boys to find out who'll be teaching them to dance in time for Saturday's live show...

We'll begin with golfer Justin Rose. It's safe to say that you're fairly good at your sport, Justin, having been picking up trophies left, right and centre since your professional career began. Keeping their fingers crossed that you'll be a damn sight better than Ranulph Fiennes (and Jon Snow, and Tyson Fury, and Sol Campbell) is Natalie Lowe!

Following them, we have Bob Mortimer! Perhaps best known as part of your double act with Vic Reeves, the two of you have worked on projects such as Shooting Stars, Catterick, Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased), House of Fools... the list goes on, but on this show you'll be leaving Vic behind and forming a brand new double act with your partner, Iveta Lukosiute!

And now, Ashley Walters. Some know you for your music career as part of the group So Solid Crew, and some may know you for your acting work, which has seen you appear in shows such as Top Boy, Hustle and Doctor Who. But will you soon be known for your dancing skills? Only time will tell! You'll be paired with Aliona Vilani!

John Cooper Clarke is next! John's a poetry whiz, his work sure does fizz. It's difficult, this poetry lark. Anyway, you were a big force in the punk rock movement of the 1970s and '80s, John, and we're responding by that by pairing you up with the rockiest, wildest, most rebellious person that we know. Erin Boag, step right up!

Here's James Marsters! Viewers all around the world will possibly know you best for portraying Spike in Buffy and Angel, but the list doesn't end there, expanding to Smallville, Torchwood and countless other TV shows. Let's hope you'll be able to slay the judges (on second thoughts, try not to) with your professional partner, Karen Hauer!

The last-but-one contestant to meet their teacher for the series is Chris Mears. Chris, you dived into our hearts during the 2012 Olympic games right here in London, and have since gone on to big things. Of course, fellow Olympian and good friend of yours Tom Daley did rather well in our first year, but can you manage to beat his placing alongside Ola Jordan?

So, Roy Hodgson, meet Joanne Clifton!

That's it, fourteen stars and fourteen professionals, all paired up! But now, prepare to be scarred for life, because it's time for the group dance!

-the cast of 2014 and their professional partners take to the dancefloor for the very first time, with a Cha-Cha-Cha to Robbie Williams' Let Me Entertain You-

Wow. Wow indeed. Right, with that over and done with (thankfully), we've nothing else to say other than make sure to join us for the very first live show this Saturday at 6pm, and, of course... start dancing!
    Forum Member
    Jamelia & Aljaz
    Marie & Anton
    Chizzy & Tristan
    Millie & Brendan
    Charlie & Pasha
    Samantha & Kevin
    Germaine & Robin
    Justin & Natalie
    Bob & Iveta
    Ashley & Aliona
    John & Erin
    Chris & Ola
    Roy & Joanne

The list is complete! Who out of our couples is looking impressive to you at this early stage? And who should just book the train ticket back home? Do Team Trizzy take your fancy? Or how about Team Double A? Whoever you think has a shot at lifting that trophy, the second set of odds will be with you shortly...
    Forum Member
    The criteria for these odds are still similar to the previous ones (age of the celebrity, fitness, previous experience etc), as well as factors relating to their professional partner, such as track records, past celebrities and average scores over the series.

9/5 - Chris & Ola
    3/1 - Ashley & Aliona
    3/1 - Charlie & Pasha
    5/1 - Millie & Brendan
    7/1 - Jamelia & Aljaz
    12/1 - Chizzy & Tristan
    12/1 - James & Karen
    15/1 - Samantha & Kevin
    18/1 - Justin & Natalie
    20/1 - Bob & Iveta
    22/1 - Marie & Anton
    25/1 - Germaine & Robin
    72/1 - John & Erin
    72/1 - Roy & Joanne
    Forum Member
    Millie is currently wrestling with a fish on BBC One. Don't ask.
    Forum Member
    We've one day left before the show tomorrow, meaning that I'll be posting various pieces of information regarding what's to come in week one throughout the day... :)
    Forum Member
    ABBA
    Barbra Streisand
    Barry White
    Billy Preston & Syreeta
    Britney Spears
    Duck Sauce
    Jamiroquai
    Kenny Rogers
    Mariah Carey
    Michael Jackson & Justin Timberlake
    Muse
    Nicki Minaj
    Otis Redding
    The Saturdays

Can you guess any from that list?
    Forum Member
    Jamelia & Aljaz will be hoping to make a good first impression with their Waltz.
    Marie & Anton will also be making their dancefloor debut with the Waltz.
    Chizzy & Tristan shall treat us to a Cha-Cha-Cha come Saturday night.
    Millie & Brendan are currently learning how to Cha-Cha-Cha in preparation for the show!
    Charlie & Pasha will be keeping everything crossed that it all goes to plan with their Cha-Cha-Cha.
    Samantha & Kevin's Waltz will also air during tomorrow night's opening show of the series.
    Germaine & Robin are going to take to that infamous floor with a Cha-Cha-Cha.
    Justin & Natalie will be Waltzing onto our screens when the clock strikes six.
    Bob & Iveta are another couple who will be tackling the Waltz as their very first number.
    Ashley & Aliona have a Waltz up their sleeves, and they'll be unleashing it for you tomorrow night!
    John & Erin are the final couple to be doing the dance that we all know and love as the Waltz.
    James & Karen will be bursting into the studio with style as they take on the Cha-Cha-Cha.
    Chris & Ola are limbering up as they speak, hoping to also impress with the Cha-Cha-Cha they'll dance.
    Roy & Joanne are last up, and they'll be pulling out all their stops where their Cha-Cha-Cha is concerned!

Don't miss it. ;)
    Forum Member
    It's show day. :)
    Forum Member
    As it's the very first show day of the series, I'll be treating you to not one but two exclusives - firstly, an interview with our esteemed judges, and secondly, a little teaser video. I'm far too kind, eh!
    Forum Member
    Craig Revel Horwood: I would say that I'm excited for the show, but looking at many of the dress rehearsal performances, that would be a lie. As always, I'm not going to hold out much hope, but that can actually be a good thing. If you begin with low expectations, things can only get better. Well, I say that...

Darcy Bussell: Everybody this year is out to win it, I just know it. But at the same time, they're all out to have fun, and that's what's great about this show. It finds that balance between a fierce competition and a good old knees-up, especially when these three boys are around. Roll on six o'clock is what I say!

Len Goodman: You know what? This year, we've got the best cast ever, and this time I really mean it. We've got people from all different walks of like, in fact we've more professions represented than ever before. It's blooming exciting, and there's only a few hours left to go until it all kicks off. My walnuts are well and truly pickled!

Bruno Tonioli: Well, yes, Len, any cast with Chris and Ashley in it is bound to be the best ever! Ahem. I'm sure Roy Hodgson's got a wonderful personality. The great thing is that I've got no idea who'll be good, who'll be bad, who'll go crazy and run around with their pants on their head... not a clue. I can just tell that it'll be one heck of a show.