Siblings - New Sitcom BBC3

JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did you see it last night?

I thought it promising and quite watchable. What did you think?

It's repeated tonight (Friday) 9.30 BBC3.

Comments

• DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it she laughed our loud a couple of times. Good cast too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Did you see it last night?

I thought it promising and quite watchable. What did you think?

It's repeated tonight (Friday) 9.30 BBC3.
    I just watched it on BBCI Player & to be honest it was dire. It couldn`t be anymore worse then it is. The acting just didn`t seem natural at all & a unfunny script. I be surprised if it get`s a second series.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I saw it last night - as there was nothing else on! I was channel-hopping and avoiding adverts! What a lucky choice I made! I caught the end of 'Cuckoo' which looked ok, but then got into this NEW series. It reminded me of old-style humour of Not Going Out and such.......straight-acting - with crazy cringeworthy events! Tracey Ann Oberman was super in it too!
    Hope it does well.:)
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched it on BBCI Player & to be honest it was dire. It couldn`t be anymore worse then it is. The acting just didn`t seem natural at all & a unfunny script. I be surprised if it get`s a second series.

It wasn't, I'm sure, meant to be natural. I think part of the appeal is the somewhat "mad cap" leading characters.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I know the girl from Fresh Meat, but when I see the bloke I can only think of Greg James from Radio 1!

A quite obvious punchline re:the wheelchair situation, but there you go. It will be interesting to see how the series unfolds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I know the girl from Fresh Meat, but when I see the bloke I can only think of Greg James from Radio 1!

A quite obvious punchline re:the wheelchair situation, but there you go. It will be interesting to see how the series unfolds.

Predictabilty doesn't bother me ( unlike the Mail critic). I can find things better the second, third or forth time of watching - Peep Show is a good example of that.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I think 'we' need to know the characters more. OK -Brother and sister living together.
    Bossy - but likeable - boss involved. Lazy brother, ditzy sister - but she almost knows what she is doing. Might be more characters to come?
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't hate this, the cast seemed alright but the wheelchair plot was just annoying to me, I don't get how it's supposed to be funny someone pretends they cant walk, then forgets they're pretending and walks in front of everyone...it's alright as perhaps a sketch but the whole episode was built around that punchline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't hate this, the cast seemed alright but the wheelchair plot was just annoying to me, I don't get how it's supposed to be funny someone pretends they cant walk, then forgets they're pretending and walks in front of everyone...it's alright as perhaps a sketch but the whole episode was built around that punchline.

There was a lot more to it than that. And next week there probably won't be a wheelchair in sight.
  • DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Yeah i thought it was good
  • GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Seeing as I'll probably never get to say this again...I enjoyed the threesome :)
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

It really wasn't. There was a whole lot of other stuff going on; establishing Charlotte as a ruthless slacker, Dan's fawning and lack of self-awareness for example. It's an established joke that anyone pretending to be in a wheelchair has to accidentally walk at some point; it's kinda the comedic equivalent of Chekov's gun. The point is not that we know the guy will walk at some point but how well it is done and the joke was used twice in the episode, so pretty good value.

I really liked this. At some point someone will say that Charlotte and Dan aren't 'likeable'. Well, duh, since when do characters have to be likeable? Hamlet isn't likeable, Michael Corleone isn't likeable. So what?

Siblings tapped into a lot of contemporary British themes; drunken-ness, meaningless office jobs, selfishness, uneasiness about disability and attempts to be right-on about it. Dan's character needs fleshing out a bit more, I think but this was a good start. The only thing I would have changed would have been to have Tracy Ann Oberman snogging Charlotte Ritchie in the hotel room. :blush:
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    It wasn't, I'm sure, meant to be natural. I think part of the appeal is the somewhat "mad cap" leading characters.

Mad cap? As in lazy, lying, stealing, patronising, crawling, conniving and blackmailing? However, for me the programme's main fault was that it wasn't in the slightest bit funny. And, despite what the writer may have thought, adding obscenities doesn't make a programme funny.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Nihilistic tripe! 2 minutes was enough for me to turn off the Iplayer and watch "Dads Army" instead.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... The point is not that we know the guy will walk at some point but how well it is done and the joke was used twice in the episode, so pretty good value.
    I thought they did this quite well - it is most definitely a well-known punchline and there were at least a couple of brink-of-cringe points where I was thinking 'OK, now he does it' and I kept being wrong! They could easily have overdone it but stayed just the right side of the line.

I think I'll keep watching, hopefully they will stay consistent, and that the mutual blackmail doesn't get overplayed, it only needs an occasional mention.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Mad cap? As in lazy, lying, stealing, patronising, crawling, conniving and blackmailing? However, for me the programme's main fault was that it wasn't in the slightest bit funny. And, despite what the writer may have thought, adding obscenities doesn't make a programme funny.

It's BBC3 so you have to expect it not to be safe for elderly aunts.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It really wasn't. There was a whole lot of other stuff going on; establishing Charlotte as a ruthless slacker, Dan's fawning and lack of self-awareness for example. It's an established joke that anyone pretending to be in a wheelchair has to accidentally walk at some point; it's kinda the comedic equivalent of Chekov's gun. The point is not that we know the guy will walk at some point but how well it is done and the joke was used twice in the episode, so pretty good value.
    :

All of the other stuff you mentioned would have happened without the wheelchair joke being part of the script, that was an extension of what was going on around his one punchline joke.

I kept watching to see the reactions and when it happened, we didn't get the reaction of anyone apart from facial expressions, even the boss when she found out didn't say anything except give a look & that coincidentally timed perfectly with the end of the episode.

It's just something I've seen in TV shows loads of times so it didn't make me laugh & I stupidly watched it thinking they were gonna surprise me and go in a direction that was at least an attempt to make the most predictable outcome a little bit more exciting than facial expressions and he walks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel a very big 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia' vibe coming off of this show, but five minutes and a trailer isn't enough to really gauge that.

EDIT:
    Siblings tapped into a lot of contemporary British themes; drunken-ness, meaningless office jobs, selfishness, uneasiness about disability and attempts to be right-on about it.

If that's an accurate description then I reaffirm my original statement.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    LadySponge wrote: »
    I feel a very big 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia' vibe coming off of this show, but five minutes and a trailer isn't enough to really gauge that.

EDIT:

If that's an accurate description then I reaffirm my original statement.
    Never seen that so can't comment.

I watched Siblings last night and although it wasn't really laugh out loud and predictable in places it was watchable and i'll give ep2 a chance to see how the relationship with the boss works out.

The guy played a similar role in a sketch show. Not sure if it's a coincidence or just can only play one style of character.
    The girl was new to me and seemed to play the lazy but trying to be cool girl.

Tracy-Anne Oberman is a good cast member. She's also been good in Friday Night Dinner recently.

A couple of things that seemed out of place were the titles and the music. Very 70s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed it, but it was very safe and predictable.

The best new show on BBC3 BY FAR is People Just Do Nothing.

Google it.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

I agree. You could spot the "gags" coming from miles away. "Siblings" is yet
    another Terrible BBC3 "Comedy" in the tradition of "Grown Ups",
    "Coming of Age" and "It's Adam and Shelley". >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you remembered to set up tonight's recording, fun seekers?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,547
    Forum Member

I am with you. Didn't laugh last week and this week was dire.

Editing fail as well. Bloke knocks loads of boxes off reception desk. Next shot they are there, next shot gone. So lazy.

Another show to wipe from my list.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tried to watch the second episode - gave up.

It's hard to like something when both the central characters are unlikeable and have no redeeming features.

Plus, it's just not funny.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This episode was not as good as episode one but I do like the show.