Siblings - New Sitcom BBC3

Comments

• Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I thought that episode one was just okay but I liked episode two much more.

Very good episode.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we supposed to take it that both the main characters have very low IQs, or is it just the brother? I really can't accept that the female got into university.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    Tried to watch the second episode - gave up.

It's hard to like something when both the central characters are unlikeable and have no redeeming features.

Plus, it's just not funny.

No one seems to have noticed but it's a much better wtch than the new series of Cuckoo.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    No one seems to have noticed but it's a much better wtch than the new series of Cuckoo.

I disagree heavily.

The last 10 minutes of Episode 2 of Cuckoo this series is better than anything I've seen in Siblings so far, desipte Cuckoo no longer having Samberg or Kari in it.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both are unlikeable, the sister is borderline psycho and the brother is just thick.
    Oh for the days a comedy was based on fairly realistic situations.
  • AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Didn't think much of the first episode but stuck with it for 2nd which I thought was much better, especially the last scene when the vet blew his top! The actor who plays the lead male does oblivious idiocy quite well I think and there were some genuinely funny moments I thought.

The main girl isn't that likeable though but I suspect they'll explore their more 'human' side as they go on so we may warm to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    I disagree heavily.

The last 10 minutes of Episode 2 of Cuckoo this series is better than anything I've seen in Siblings so far, desipte Cuckoo no longer having Samberg or Kari in it.

I particularly didn't find the last 10 minutes funny at all.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    hmmm not sure about Siblings. It's ok at times but... well nothing special.

Must we have yet another clownish predictable male lead? It's basically How Not to Live Your Life, and Don Danbury again.

The guy's even called Dan, which is one letter's difference!

Hannah is irritating.

The only line in the two episodes to raise a smile was when Hannah tells the smug pregnant women "I hope all your children are born with minor congenital defects."
    That was funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

Must we have yet another clownish predictable male lead? It's basically How Not to Live Your Life, and Don Danbury again.

Hannah is irritating.

The only line in the two episodes to raise a smile was when Hannah tells the smug pregnant women "I hope all your children are born with minor congenital defects."
    That was funny.

That was one bit I didn't find funny.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Siblings tapped into a lot of contemporary British themes; drunken-ness, meaningless office jobs, selfishness, uneasiness about disability and attempts to be right-on about it. Dan's character needs fleshing out a bit more, I think but this was a good start. :

The comments on Boomers from people who didn't find it funny, are saying that they are the wrong demographic. Well I feel the same about this, I have seen the first half twice on alternate nights, by accident and only found it raised the occasional smile. The themes you mention obviously must appeal to the younger generation.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Hannah is irritating.

That was funny.
    That's the line I found funny but I also predicted it. I was thinking myself just before that she'd come out with some offensive comment to the smug mother to be.

The problem I have with the show is that it is trying to be wacky and almost surreal at times but the rest of the show doesn't fit with that.

Man Down had silly, stupid & surreal moments and in that show it worked.

Hannah is just not a very likeable character. Dan you can almost forgive as he's an idiot.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    That's the line I found funny but I also predicted it. I was thinking myself just before that she'd come out with some offensive comment to the smug mother to be.

The problem I have with the show is that it is trying to be wacky and almost surreal at times but the rest of the show doesn't fit with that.

Man Down had silly, stupid & surreal moments and in that show it worked.

Hannah is just not a very likeable character. Dan you can almost forgive as he's an idiot.

I agree. I'd say that being 'likeable' isn't requisite as plenty of good comedy characters aren't, but there's got to be an inkling of empathy or a way for you to feel sorry for them as they fight something frustrating (e.g Basil Fawlty).

Dan and Hannah are just a pair of tw*ts.
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I'd say that being 'likeable' isn't requisite as plenty of good comedy characters aren't, but there's got to be an inkling of empathy or a way for you to feel sorry for them as they fight something frustrating (e.g Basil Fawlty).

I quite enjoyed last week's, but this weeks was predictable and so unrealistic it lost all humour. I know you're meant to suspend disbelief, but I'm not prepared to suspend it that far.
    The sister drugs her best friend with something potentially fatal, and the brother sets free an enormous number of very ill animals which, for some weird reason, the vet has left in his surgery overnight before purring them down.

Yet no sign of any police interest!
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

Lots of sitcoms are full of unlikeable characters that neverless are funny
    to watch- think the Janitor from "Scrubs" or half the characters in
    "Drop the Dead Donkey". But those shows had great writing and
    actors, which "Siblings" doesn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reading the MoS TV critic today about the next episode:

File under cult: be warned the foul-mouthed script takes no prisoners, but if you're not easily offended this is fearless comedy that you dare not miss...

FIVE STARS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite looking forward to tonight's episode, fun-seekers.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yay she swore in an apparently normal conversation. rolleyes

very funny. NOT.
    Forum Member
    to watch- think the Janitor from "Scrubs"

The janitor isn't a main character. The main characters (JD, Turk, Elliott, even Dr Cox, are likeable and flawed)

Very few (if any) shows have two leads who seem so unremittingly tw*tish.
  • tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    to watch- think the Janitor from "Scrubs" or half the characters in
    "Drop the Dead Donkey". But those shows had great writing and
    actors, which "Siblings" doesn't.

Such a great call on Drop The Dead Donkey!
    I have series 1 - 3 on DVD and because I am off all this week I now have the perfect excuse to revisit them, thank you for reminding me of this superb comedy :)

As regards to siblings, maybe it is just myself, but it really seems to be a remake of him & her but with siblings instead of being a couple.
    Bland, not funny and I only lasted 2 episodes of each
    Forum Member
    tony-w wrote: »
    Such a great call on Drop The Dead Donkey!
    I have series 1 - 3 on DVD and because I am off all this week I now have the perfect excuse to revisit them, thank you for reminding me of this superb comedy :)

As regards to siblings, maybe it is just myself, but it really seems to be a remake of him & her but with siblings instead of being a couple.
    Bland, not funny and I only lasted 2 episodes of each

I agree.

Hannah in particular has been written in a very jarring way. She's obviously meant to be more intelligent than Dan, she's also manipulative and clever at getting what she wants. Fine. But then in today's episode she marches into her old school and starts some loutish foul-mouthed convo with her old teacher. It just didn't sit right with her character.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she marches into her old school and starts some loutish foul-mouthed convo with her old teacher

You've never worked in a certain type of inner-city school then lol :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else think Dan is quite fit? :D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LadySponge wrote: »
    I feel a very big 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia' vibe coming off of this show, but five minutes and a trailer isn't enough to really gauge that.

Yes if I was to compare it to another show it would definitely be '.. Sunny in Philadelphia'.

But there is something missing in comparison.

The characters in 'IASIP' are not likeable either, but you get why they are like they are.

The characters in 'Siblings' just seem unlikeable for the sake of it.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed last night's episode. The best episode so far in my opinion.

Sure they swear a lot but everywhere I work people swear a lot.

Dan clearly has Asperger's and maybe she does too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed last night's episode. The best episode so far in my opinion.

I agree with you! It was a great episode ;-)