Options

Executed

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In America, it costs a hell of a lot more to execute them than to lock them up for life, millions of dollars more in fact.

People bring up Brady and Hindley. If they had been executed, Pauline Reade and Keith Bennet's family would never have known for sure who killed their children, the Reade family would never have had Pauline's remains returned to them.

Lee Rigby killers also get brought up, they wanted to die. They wanted to be martyrs and instead, they are locked up. Why give them exactly what they want?

The Evans case I found upsetting. I think I've read about it before but it still got me just watching it. The Bentley case, I'm glad his family got his conviction quashed in the end but it took far too long.

I'm sure the family members of the victims would rather pay to know that the killer has been executed. Rather than the money being used to keep them alive.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    junnja wrote: »
    I'm sure the family members of the victims would rather pay to know that the killer has been executed. Rather than the money being used to keep them alive.

Luckily in this country we don't base the justice system on what the families of victims want. That would be quite dangerous.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    junnja wrote: »
    I never mentioned miscarriages of justice at any point. I said when there is a blatant admission of guilt.

There are some people who admit guilt to crimes they didn't commit. If you admit your guilt at the trial, that's it, the end. You just have the conviction and sentencing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luckily in this country we don't base the justice system on what the families of victims want. That would be quite dangerous.

I never said to base it on what they want. I said base it on their admission to the crime as to what happens to them. Not what the family think.. It's pretty obvious if asked, what the family would want to happen. I said If there is no doubt. I'm sure alot of people, including the family members would decide the right thing to do.'Let the punishment fit the crime'

I know if a member of my family was murdered I would want something appropriate done. My mates little girl was murdered when she was 4. I saw another side to my mate, when it happened. He would have killed the guy who did it without flinching.

It was a few years ago. But he's never been the same since. What about his life sentence of grief? I'm sure it would lessen, if he knew that person wasn't walking around anymore. It 's mainly the thought that the victim lost their life, but the perpetrator still has theirs that angers my mate.
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Certainly corruption has always been there which must make Police officers who 'walk a fine line' by relying on the criminal fraternity for information, extremely difficult at times and of course, wide open for corruption.

I doubt Evans himself ever really knew what his statement said as he would rely on the honesty of the Police officer/s writing it and his Solicitor. And both could easily deceive Evans.

It really was a tragic case.

Ironically the Police Officer shot by Christopher Craig, was known by Bentley's family. And to think, had Bentley chose his words differently such as, "hand him the gun Chris", Bentley would not have been sentenced to death.

I could be wrong here but when the Christopher Ecclestone film was released there was a lot of media interest in the story and interviews with Bentley's relatives etc., and I'm fairly sure that there was dispute over whether the words "Let Him Have It Chris" were ever actually spoken. Apparently Bentley never, ever called Christopher Craig "Chris" so it was difficult to believe he would have used this phrase.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong here but when the Christopher Ecclestone film was released there was a lot of media interest in the story and interviews with Bentley's relatives etc., and I'm fairly sure that there was dispute over whether the words "Let Him Have It Chris" were ever actually spoken. Apparently Bentley never, ever called Christopher Craig "Chris" so it was difficult to believe he would have used this phrase.

Bentley's niece was interviewed recently and said, as Bentley had a mental age of 7 , [ this exactness is news to me, it's commonly known he was just a bit "slow" ] that a phrase like " let him have it " was unlikely to be thought up on the spot by his limited vocabulary.
    However as he and Craig were avid fans of gangster movies, a phrase like " let him have it " is fairly likely to have been known and used by both boys.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was disputed and as Police were the only witnesses, they could have made up almost anything. In fact i'm more of the opinion that Bentley very likely never uttered such words but the Prosecution desperate for a water tight conviction, "let him have it" fitted in quite neatly.

Craig murdered a Police officer but was saved from the noose by his age. Bentley was guilty of breaking and entering.......and got hung!
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Thanks. I wish I could remember what name Bentley actually used for "Chris", it might have been something as simple as "Chrissy" or "Craig" but it was documented by the family that he wouldn't have even called him "Chris", therefore making the police's version of events a fit-up.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    It was disputed and as Police were the only witnesses, they could have made up almost anything. In fact i'm more of the opinion that Bentley very likely never uttered such words but the Prosecution desperate for a water tight conviction, "let him have it" fitted in quite neatly.

Craig murdered a Police officer but was saved from the noose by his age. Bentley was guilty of breaking and entering.......and got hung!

I know when it boils down to it Bentley didn't kill anyone where is the justice in that>:(