Why Dame Kelly and NOT Dame Jayne

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
Forum Member
How come Kelly became a Dame and Jayne, who IMO done more for sport, not got one?

This goes for Christopher as well, not given a knighthood.

Comments

• bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well when they won there was a different government in and they did not give such high awards to sportspeople but this government do. For that matter why Sir Alex Ferguson and Matt Busby for one european cup win and none for Bob Paisley who won three
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to remember Jayne and Christopher being awarded OBEs after 1984 or was it 1994 :confused: and I *think* Kelly already had an OBE so after her olympic heroics she was made a dame.
  • bom-jiggybom-jiggy Posts: 15,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katkin wrote:
    How come Kelly became a Dame and Jayne, who IMO done more for sport, not got one?

Thesame reason Paula Radcliffe hasn't been mabe a Dame having broken countless world records. Also, Tessa Sanderson isn't a Dame though she has an olympic gold medal and still does lots of work for UK Athletics :(
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because knighthoods are given out much more liberally nowadays by a more media savvy government, which sees gving out these awards as part and parcel of it's public relations spin. My main beef with this is that there is no consistency though. e.g, unbeleivably, it's Sir Terry Wogan but only Bruce Foryth C.B.E.
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katkin wrote:

I find the whole thing regarding such awards a mystery tbh. Just cos someone has won a couple of gold medals how come they deserve to be made a dame over others who have worked their butt off all their lives for someting worthwhile and they get absolutely nothing for their trouble.

I agree with you with regards to Torville and Dean, but then the same could be said for Sally Gunnel, Colin Jackson, Jonathon Edwards and a whole host of other sports people.
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I personally I think making Kelly a Dame was ludicrous. Yes she won two gold medals in an Olympic games but so have other British atheletes over the years. Steve Redgrave is probably the only truely deserving sporting knight.

As for T&D, they are great. They really were the absoloute best at what they did and always used to beat the Russians and the Americans.
  • DayusDayus Posts: 3,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bom-jiggy wrote:
    Thesame reason Paula Radcliffe hasn't been mabe a Dame having broken countless world records.

Dame Kelly hasn't been seen by millions taking a slash on the street.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    I personally I think making Kelly a Dame was ludicrous. Yes she won two gold medals in an Olympic games but so have other British atheletes over the years. Steve Redgrave is probably the only truely deserving sporting knight.

As for T&D, they are great. They really were the absoloute best at what they did and always used to beat the Russians and the Americans.

Politically motivated, trying to be populist and bowing to the supposed views of the people. Especially right before an election. Good to see she’s taken it and done nothing else in athletics since.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that Torville and Dean should be given higher honours. If you go by TV ratings they are the most popular sports personalities of the second half of the 20th century in the UK.

It started under John Major's government: the 'dumbing down' of gongs to make it fairer to the public at large. This was followed by the Blair government's ultra-cynical ploy of dishing out gongs left right and centre to anyone in the medial who represented Cool Britannia, especially anyone not white or middle aged.

There's no reason to stop the government giving Torville and Dean a damehood/knighthood now, you don't have to have done anything in the last few months to merit one.

They could become a Baron and a Baroness in the House of Lords. All you have to do is give at least £25K to the Labour party and promise to turn up and back the government in every vote. There are over 100 Lords who got in that way.
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because these days knighthoods/OBE's/MBE's/Companion of Honour etc etc mean nothing at all. They have been reduced to the level of Desperate Dan's Fan Club.

There's not even any expectation any more the night before they are announced. All you need to know, is who has given Blair a free holiday, massive donation to the Labour party, or what films are on at the cinema and which pop stars have been to Downing St. And gosh I almost forget the important one: Who's doing Cherie's colonic irrigations.

The way the world is, I doubt there would be any difference whichever party was in Government.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    evilfish wrote:
    Politically motivated, trying to be populist and bowing to the supposed views of the people. Especially right before an election. Good to see she’s taken it and done nothing else in athletics since.

Absolutely right :)
    This was surely one of the most undeserved accolades ever bestowed - she is hardly a heroine by any standards & hasn't this show highlighted what an arrogant, nasty, mean-spirited, moody, talentless, pain-in-the-a*** she is!

I think Jason's comments were an insult to staffies :D
    Seriously though, I agree with everything he's said - she does look like a man in drag & she's sheer agony to watch ice-dancing.
    How she can still be in the show, when John, who I thought was the best performer there, was booted out, is a travesty.

If anyone knows Todd, who must be a saint to put up with her tantrums, please encourage him to whizz her round & round very fast, next week, & then let go - hopefully she'll end up stuck to the ceiling :D
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,007
    Forum Member
    malarkey - bwah! I am imagining that right now.. best place for her in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Staffies are a lot more graceful!

And what on earth was that cheesey smile/grin/grimace thing she did at the beginning of their program :eek: