Urgent child access advice needed

keli77keli77 Posts: 2,139
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My boyfriend has been seeing his daughter every Thursday and every other weekend with no problems at all. All of a sudden today his ex has told him she is moving to the other end of the country within the next 2 weeks, has refused to let him see her before they move and isnt leaving a forwarding address. Obviously we are both gutted, we love spending time together and its a massive shock. We don't know what to do, does he have any legal rights? Any advice would be really appreciated, time is short cos she is moving so soon!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If his name is on his daughter's birth certificate then he can apply for parental responsibility. He really ought to speak to Citizen's Advice as soon as possible and see a solicitor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't say how old she is. If she was born after 1st December 2003 and he is on the birth certificate then he has parental responsibility. Otherwise he can apply to the court for it. His most urgent action needs to be a prohibitive steps order to prevent the child moving, or at least prevent her moving without saying where she is going. He can make an application direct to the court if he thinks he can cope with that. Otherwise he needs to seek legal advice as a matter of urgency.
  • eunicelouise658eunicelouise658 Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He definetely needs to seek legal advice. Is the access arrangement a casual agreement? What has changed that has made her become hostile and obstructive? How long have you 2 been together? Sorry for all the questions but it seems something has happened between them and the poor child is caught in the middle.
  • ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all family cases what is best for the child should be paramount. Given that contact seems to go well, I would urge your partner to see a solicitor ASAP. Chances are that he wont be able to stop her going but he will probably be able to still have contact via email, phone etc inbetween holiday visits.
  • keli77keli77 Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His daughter is 9, so born in 2000. It's a casual agreement he has with her at the moment, and he isnt on the birth certificate, there was some uncertainty about the father so a paternity test was done. Nothing has happened between my boyfriend and his ex to make her hostile, but she did something she shouldnt have and now feels she has to leave. We dont know why she is making it so difficult for my boyfriend though, as he has been supportive to her recently with regards to some personal stuff going on with her. I have been with my boyfriend since January, and he split up with her many years ago. Things have always been amicable between us all, so its nothing to do with her wanting him back or anything like that.
    My boyfriend isnt happy with her moving away but knows he cant stop her however its the fact she is gonna disappear without giving us any address thats the main worry for us. She has said a solicitor will be in touch to arrange access but how can we be sure if she wont tell us where they are going???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    If he has the paperwork regarding the dna test that should be all he needs. He needs to get into see a solicitor ASAP.