Celebs whose career is over - How many go back to the real world?

2»

Comments

• jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were watching Wheel of Fortune and wondering where John Leslie was now, he's working as a property developer now.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calibra101 wrote: »
    The guy from the group Bucks Fizz who ended up working in burger van.
    He was in Dollar really. Van Day was only in Bucks Fizz in their end-of-the-pier special phase, when all but one of the original members had left.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's probably a fair few. Child stars especially - many, if not most, of the Grange Hill cast left acting to do other things (some by choice, some because the acting career never took off).

If you made a real fortune out of your celebrity career, of course, it's unlikely you'll need to work at anything that doesn't interest you. But most actors, singers etc - even well-known ones - often aren't making quite the money people suppose. This is especially true of members of "manufactured" pop groups, where the vast majority of the money will go to their managers. I seem to recall one of the girls from Steps say she made more money working in McDonalds than she did in Steps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joan Collins was signing on just before her career was resurrected in Dynasty.That would've been a sight,her in the dole cue looking glamorous.

She only did it the once.
    With her dark glasses, expensive chiffon dress and designer shoes, the woman in the dole queue could not have looked more out of place among the down-and-outs, deadbeats and drunks shuffling towards the counter.

She had arrived at the unemployment benefit office on Los Angeles's Santa Monica Boulevard in a glittering gold Mercedes.

When she reached the front of the queue, the clerk behind the desk gave a gasp of astonishment. "Weren't you Joan Collins?" she asked, her eyes widening.

Scroll down for more ...

Reinvention: from dole queue to sex symbol

"I still am," muttered the woman. "Then what are you doing here?"asked the clerk.

"I'm not working at the moment," mumbled the actress, inwardly cursing the Hollywood friends who had talked her into signing on. "I'm resting."

Within seconds the entire room was agog. Joan Collins? The actress? On the dole?

The clerk was brisk. Had she been trying seriously to get a job? Had she tried anything other than acting? Waitressing, perhaps? Working in an office? Typing?

Eventually Joan was given a slip to say she would be paid her benefit in a couple of weeks, once her case had been investigated.

But as she sped off in the Mercedes, red-faced, she felt so humiliated that she swore not to return for the money - and never again to ask for a handout from anyone.
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    She only did it the once.

I didn't know that.She said on Piers Morgan's life stories that she had been signing on and she hated it but I thought it was for a while.
  • DaughterqueenDaughterqueen Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Love this where are they now/ what real jobs have celebs got now thread. More please...
    What's Gary Webster doing? Seem to remember he was made a bankrupt.
    Any info on mark (Eastenders) thrippleton?
    Peter Dean was a parking attendant.
    A lot of footballers become cabbies
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The late Jeff Astle (played for West Bromwich Albion) became a window cleaner, the slogan on his van was 'Jeff Astle..never misses corners'!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe Roland Rat now runs a successful agency for showbiz meerkats.
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The late Jeff Astle (played for West Bromwich Albion) became a window cleaner, the slogan on his van was 'Jeff Astle..never misses corners'!

More than that. He actually ran a very successful chain of window cleaners.
    Made more out of that than he did out of football. Or singing.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Blobby I have heard conflicting stories on. One says he is now a champion wrestler. Another says he hires himself out to fetes, adventure parks and parties for kids to jump up and down on.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dean Gaffney, now working for MI5

Tiffany will never every have a proper job. as has been pointed out, she is "bankrupt" in terms of being a millionairess and still living a life of absolute luxury.
  • ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People such as Martine love sucking the tit of stardom. Unless a financial crisis of gargantuan proportion happens to her...it would hit home. Can see her doing BB soon for some reason.

There are few ex footballers who became teachers even engineers!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Sean Wilson (Martin Platt from Corrie) is now a cheese maker
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    jingles436 wrote: »
    Sean Wilson (Martin Platt from Corrie) is now a cheese maker

As the Good Lord said "Blessed are the cheese makers."
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why it's often seen as a 'bad' thing that people who have been well-known/ famous go on to do other things. The press like to portray them as losers or failures in some way- 'past their best', as if leaving celeb-dom (by default or choice) marks them out as lesser human beings than they once were. We all know how fickle and fleeting the world of celebrity can be. 'Ordinary' people make career/ life changes through necessity or because they want a change. I don't see why those formerly in the public eye should be any different. For all we know, many of them might not miss it at all and be glad to be living reasonably (or better) fulfilling lives in whatever they are doing now. Doesn't mean that their talent has faded or that they have 'failed'...life just moves on and evolves.

Maybe some feel that they have become better people since leaving the fame behind. It might even get boring...someone working on a serial drama might be getting up at ridiculous hours, waiting to be 'on call' for much of the day, not getting home 'til late at night and thus not having much time for anything or anyone else. Then there's the pressure to have a 'public face' and do the rounds of interviews and so on. Might be great for a while but I'll bet anything some will get tired of it all and just want out.

It's the ones who get arrogant and cocky, who go on to ruin their careers by being obnoxious and believing that they are more 'special' than they actually are who merit the most criticism, IMO.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can not imagine Joan Collins signing on.

I can imagine that the adviser would summon "Ms Collins", in that ever so friendly way in which they call customers over, and she'd snap back "It's Dame Joan to you!".
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is a well-known fact that Alex James is a farmer and cheese maker.
  • chubstachubsta Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    Of course it is a well-known fact that Alex James is a farmer and cheese maker.

Not so much that his origional career is over though, more that he is following a vocation whilst Blur have a hiatus, he certainly doesnt need the money!
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Blobby I have heard conflicting stories on. One says he is now a champion wrestler. Another says he hires himself out to fetes, adventure parks and parties for kids to jump up and down on.

Of course Mr Blobby & Noel Edmonds had a falling out in the mid 1990s resulting in both largely falling from the public eye. Largely disillusioned with showbiz Mr Blobby enrolled at Exeter University and went on to earn a MSc in financial analysis and fund management, BSc in pure mathematics, statistics and mathematical sciences and a Masters in behavioural and biological psychology.

With his newly gained mathematical skills he reconciled with the former Radio 1 DJ & 1970s TOTP host (who was by now envious how his one time rival Saturday mornings kid TV presenter Chris Tarrant had done with Who Wants To Be A Millionaire) to reunite to produce the highly popular teatime Channel 4 gameshow that is still going to this day where Mr Blobby (who both agreed was better to be heard rather than seen) can be heard on a daily basis via his Blobby human voice converter (or "The Banker" as he is now referred to in reference to a memorable 1992 "Gotcha" episode of Noel's House Party by former England Rugby Union captain Will Carling) relaying his financial offers to Edmonds via telephone.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course Mr Blobby & Noel Edmonds had a falling out in the mid 1990s resulting in both largely falling from the public eye. Largely disillusioned with showbiz Mr Blobby enrolled at Exeter University and went on to earn a MSc in financial analysis and fund management, BSc in pure mathematics, statistics and mathematical sciences and a Masters in behavioural and biological psychology.

With his newly gained mathematical skills he reconciled with the former Radio 1 DJ & 1970s TOTP host (who was by now envious how his one time rival Saturday mornings kid TV presenter Chris Tarrant had done with Who Wants To Be A Millionaire) to reunite to produce the highly popular teatime Channel 4 gameshow that is still going to this day where Mr Blobby (who both agreed was better to be heard rather than seen) can be heard on a daily basis via his Blobby human voice converter (or "The Banker" as he is now referred to in reference to a memorable 1992 "Gotcha" episode of Noel's House Party by former England Rugby Union captain Will Carling) relaying his financial offers to Edmonds via telephone.

Priceless!...and far more credible than some of the showbiz guff you hear! :cool:
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chubsta wrote: »
    Not so much that his original career is over though, more that he is following a vocation whilst Blur have a hiatus, he certainly doesn't need the money!

That too, but it is better than whinging about not getting work!
  • EMLEML Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    ...and Mark Lester (Oliver!) gave up acting at the age of 19 and became an osteopath in Cheltenham.
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    ***KEL*** wrote: »
    I read that Martine McCutcheon said "i think of Ralph Lauren sheets as a neseccity not a luxury" so she will struggle going back to the real world

Haha, she's from a council estate in Dalston (rough place near Hackney).
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martine McCutcheon was recently declared bankrupt. I was wondering as she will probably sell her story to a magazine, would she return to the real world and get a normal job?

Have any other ex-celebs ever gone back to the real world and got normal jobs?

The day after her bankrupcy was announced, she spent £500 on hair extensions. she like kerry katona doesn,t seem to understand what being bankrupt means.:rolleyes:
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kim Wilde became a gardner for a while I believe.