Meteor Strike: Fireball from Space

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else looking forward to this. Previously unseen footage apparently. Could be interesting.

"In February, a meteor exploded over Russia's Ural mountains and sent fireballs blazing to earth, injuring more than 1,000 people. This documentary includes previously unseen footage of what happened as astrophysicists explain exactly what it was, and the likeliness of it happening again. Plus, Nasa's latest plans to deal with a worst-case scenario and what can be done to defend the planet."

Comments

• PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly am and it's been shown on BBC2 and Channel4 . Will be interesting to see how they both compare.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is it on?
  • kingofscotlandkingofscotland Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CH4 8pm - Meteor Strike: Fireball from Space
    BBC2 9pm - The Truth About Meteors: A Horizon Special
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    I certainly am and it's been shown on BBC2 and Channel4 . Will be interesting to see how they both compare.

oh yea. Horizon. Hadn't noticed that. Thanks for the heads up. :)
  • Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recording both. :)
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,548
    Forum Member
    If they didn't know this was coming .. how did they get a camera behind it :confused:

:D
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they would have thought they were under attack from the yanks..
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will they show the nutjob who thinks it was a UFO that broke it up :D
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    A cheery note to end on.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am finding the BBC one more interesting for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    The presenter is going for the Brian Cox approach. Its not working.
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather just watch an hour long compilation of Russian car crashes captured on their dash cams.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find that guy's presenting style annoying, does he have to enunciate so slowly, like a Scottish Lllllllooooyddd Grossssssmannnnnn ?
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Its on right now....on record.
    If the meteor landed in Russia.....then they have first dibs on it.
    Meteor rock seeming is worth a lot.
    I dont know who first said it is....but to be fair...this rock landed in Russia so Russia gets the glory and the Riches.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do find that guy's presenting style annoying, does he have to enunciate so slowly, like a Scottish Lllllllooooyddd Grossssssmannnnnn ?

I too find his presenting style annoying. Though Horizon are doing a different slant, I much preferred the C4 documentary .
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught a few minutes of this halfway through as I had been watching Top Gear on timeshift. I found it instantly unwatchable. All that background music and flashy graphics was bad enough but I caught the bit where they showed the UK was on the same latitude and questioned whether it might have hit us instead. Within a minute this was shown to be impossible, so why even bring it up, apart from to add a sensationalist angle.

Horizon is awful these days. I used to avidly watch it in it's heyday, regardless of the subject, because you would always learn something interesting and it was done in a serious way. Now it's superficial, relying on flashy graphics and editing to make a visual impact regardless of the actual content.
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    The thing is the meteor did not hit the uk.
    Its Russia's meteor.
    Any other country that is showing a tv show about it is full of conjecture.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylob49 wrote: »
    The presenter is going for the Brian Cox approach. Its not working.
    To be honest I find the Brian Cox approach doesn't really work for Brian Cox either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC won that hands down with an informative and interesting narrative.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its on right now....on record.
    If the meteor landed in Russia.....then they have first dibs on it.
    Meteor rock seeming is worth a lot.
    I dont know who first said it is....but to be fair...this rock landed in Russia so Russia gets the glory and the Riches.
    I have a piece of the Sikhote-Alin meteorite that fell on 12 Feb 1947 in Siberia. It's only a tiny piece but I love it. It must be a wonderful sight to see a meteor entering the earth's atmosphere.
  • ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantic wrote: »
    I'd rather just watch an hour long compilation of Russian car crashes captured on their dash cams.

That was something else, wasn't it :eek::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    The actual TV report at the time on the Russian news channel showed far more footage of it. So I was disappointed in this show. We saw little of the local impact or interviews with first hand accounts.
    Instead this programme reminded me more of a programme called Goldrush, (about gold miners) on the Discovery channel.
    In other words greedy people (er hem, sorry scientists) such as that British woman turning up in the hope of claiming a piece of meteor for themselves.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the C4 programme, interesting enough but as is now re-rigure with this channel and programmes about or related to environment it ends with a tone that suggests whoever commissions these progs is very much "old Testament".
  • SoyokazeSoyokaze Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it me, or was this basically a repeat of an older Horizon programme, with new extra bits about the recent Russian meteorite edited in? I seem to recall having seeing most of it before.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the BBC one and also found the presenters and general style very annoying.